Anyone attempt 'repairing' the Dash Controller?

/ Anyone attempt 'repairing' the Dash Controller? #1  

timm9

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat(s) 5600B-Turbo(s)
Hi All,

Recently stated experiencing issues with error codes, fuel gauge not reading correctly, temp not reading correctly, and a few other 'glitches'. Turns out it was the Dash Controller which has been changed out and is now functional. I curious if anyone has attempted repairing the controller? it appears that you can at least partially disassemble. At almost $1,200 it would be nice to be able to repair and have one on the shelf for the next one that goes...

Thanks!

PS. I don't know why I'm worried about it. We are in our third drought year and have had one plowable event...

/ Anyone attempt 'repairing' the Dash Controller? #2  
Before I got out the soldering iron I would get a magnifying glass and check out all the circuit board traces and all the connectors. Next with the mag. glass, I would check out the solder bonding between the integrated circuits and the circuit board. If all is well, I would then check the individual IC's. Look for obvious burnt/carbon evidence..but also look for chips that exhibit a "plastic bubble" on the top. Those bubbles can contain the "magic smoke" that apparently makes these devices work. I would also check the capacitors. Look for evidence that one or more has started leaking.

If you know anybody who is/was an electronics technician, they may be able to help you do a "General Purpose Once-over" to catch potential issues. Connectors always seem to be a PIA...I would check those out early-on in the troubleshooting process.

We are in drought year #3 here. Ugh.

/ Anyone attempt 'repairing' the Dash Controller?
Hi Spudgunner,

Thanks for the response and advice. I do something very similar with the Bosch component's in my 82 Roadster which has saved my quite a bit as the rebuilt Bosch stuff is still not cheap. I'm also going to ask around and see if there are any electrical engineers within our retirement community. Excellent idea!!

I will add you to the Snow Prayers...:)