Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help!

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #1  

MIToolcat

Tractor
JD 2520
Hello all!

I just became a member of this forum recently, but I've read most of the posts regarding the Toolcat 5600/5610 over the last several months. I truly believe that the TC is the best solution for my needs, but I've become more and more concerned about the TC's traction ability in snow and on moderate grades. I'm on several other forums, and I know that many of the posts you see are from owner's who are having problems with their units, and not the majority of owner's who don't have any complaints. I'm trying to keep this in perspective.

Last fall I moved into a new house on 10 acres in Southeast Michigan. The majority of the lot is wooded, and I have a 1,000' gravel driveway. I own a JD 2520 compact utility tractor which I keep at my cabin in Northern Michigan. Having much experience with the 2520, I know that it won't satisfy my list of requirements as well as the TC would. Here's a list of what I'm looking for the TC to do:

• Drive to the mailbox at the end of the drive to retrieve the mail
  • Take full size garbage/recycleable containers to the end of the driveway
  • Blow leaves using a hydraulic debris blower like the Buffalo Turbine
  • Haul firewood from around the property to my wood shed
  • Clear my driveway in the winter using a snowblower
  • Clear snow around the garage/circle drive with a snowblade

What concerns me about the 1st two items and the last two items is the TC's ability to get through the snow. I've seen posts which seem to indicate that chains are required to do work in the snow, but I've also seen multiple youtube videos which has the TC blowing snow on relatively steep inclines without chains and without getting stuck. If I go ahead with the purchase I would be ordering the 27" R4 tires since my garage door height is barely 83". The garage door height is also one of the reasons I'd prefer not to have to use chains. If I'm lucky the TC will fit in the garage with the R4 tires without having to air-down the tires.

As far as blowing leaves go, this would be done in dry weather but for much of the work the TC would be running on my lawn. There is an area that has a relatively steep incline and I'm wondering what type of problem I'd have there.

The firewood hauling is probably the least of my concerns. The trails that run through my lot are hard-packed and I would be gathering firewood in the summer/fall. The TC would be running on the trails or the gravel driveway.

I'm looking at ordering the TC in the next week. I've already been informed by my dealer that if I order one now it'll be built in AUGUST!! There sure must be a demand for these things... I've checked every box on the order from with the exception of the 29" turf tires.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have. Obviously, many of the posts that are included here are for older machines. Do the newer units have a better traction control system? I just don't want to spend 55k and find out that the TC wont work as I need it to.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

Frank

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #2  
Frank, are you seriously considering buying a $55K piece of equipment to do the things on your list????

If so,,, I am speechless. Go for it. :confused:

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #3  
Save 35k and buy a Ventrac 4500. Do your list and more.

Attachments

• DSCF3310.jpg
    DSCF3310.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCF3270.jpg
    DSCF3270.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 839
  • 2013_0825ventractop0020.jpg
    2013_0825ventractop0020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 524
   / Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help!
Frank, are you seriously considering buying a $55K piece of equipment to do the things on your list????

If so,,, I am speechless. Go for it. :confused:

I am Richard. That's why I asked the question! :)

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #5  
^^^ Kinda what I was thinking. I think that they are real handy machines, although never done anything with one except look at it at an auction. To me it's a swiss army knife. It does a bunch of things but none of them really well, but if my budget would allow it I'd love to tool around my property with one for sure!!! Sounds like you need a nice building for it and all the $$ attachments first. Is this the TC with the loader boom, or the more "UTV" model? We expect pic's here and:welcome:

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #6  
   / Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #7  
The G went into production in December. Has the Doosan motor and the traction control. After researching the traction control and owning a B series, I bought a 2014 F series that was built in October in one of the last batches. It still had the Kubota and was a few $$$k cheaper than the G series. The Doosan has a few more lb.ft. of torque but should be essentially the same as an F. If you don't want to wait, find an F. They are nice to have and can do some work easily (like you mentioned) but when I need really heavy work done, I use my skid or excavator.

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help!
Save 35k and buy a Ventrac 4500. Do your list and more.

I've never checked into the Ventrac before. Can you get a cab for it? It sure gets cold on my 2520 and I swore the next piece of equipment I bought would have a cab!

^^^ Kinda what I was thinking. I think that they are real handy machines, although never done anything with one except look at it at an auction. To me it's a swiss army knife. It does a bunch of things but none of them really well, but if my budget would allow it I'd love to tool around my property with one for sure!!! Sounds like you need a nice building for it and all the $$ attachments first. Is this the TC with the loader boom, or the more "UTV" model? We expect pic's here and:welcome:

Yes, I see a lot of the swiss army knife reference on the TC and I'm okay with that. There's plenty of room in my garage for it, and I've got 2 of the attachments picked out. I don't want to start buying them until I'm satisfied that machine will do what I want it to! The one I'm interested in is the UTV type with a bed in back (as opposed to the 3-pt hitch on the 5610). Thanks for the welcome by the way!

The G went into production in December. Has the Doosan motor and the traction control. After researching the traction control and owning a B series, I bought a 2014 F series that was built in October in one of the last batches. It still had the Kubota and was a few $$$k cheaper than the G series. The Doosan has a few more lb.ft. of torque but should be essentially the same as an F. If you don't want to wait, find an F. They are nice to have and can do some work easily (like you mentioned) but when I need really heavy work done, I use my skid or excavator.

Thanks for the recommendation on the F-Series. I've looked extensively for one in the Michigan area and there are none to be found. Since you have a new F-series, what can you tell me about the 4wd system on the machine. From reading some of the posts here I'm worried about traction in snow and sand/mud. I know probably can't speak to the snow issue, but what about sand/mud? How does it handle going up an incline? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #9  
The 5610 comes standard with Electronic Traction Control to keep at least 3 wheels turning. It is an option on the 5600. I see it is not listed on the Build & Quote section of their website, but ask dealer he can price it for you.

/ Should I buy a new G-Series Toolcat 5600? Please help! #10  
I had a friend who worked for a company subcontracted to the city of Edmonton plowing snow on sidewalks and running trails. He would complete his route, which was something like 60 kilometres of sidewalk/trail in an 8 hour work day. I am not sure what model he used, it was about 5 years ago.