Throttle question

/ Throttle question #1  

8envy

Tractor
Ford 8N
Have a 2005 toolcat 5600. When I move the throttle lever to full open position (all the way till it stops) RPM is only at about 1400. As a result top speed is very slow. I just bought this machine at an auction in used condition with about 2500 hours. It was used at a municipality so I am thinking maybe there is a way to dial back the throttle/top speed to keep the employees from racing around... just a thought. So I am wondering what the best way might be to adjust the throttle. I understand that I should be seeing at least 2800+RPM.

I should add that it runs/sounds great and everything else seems to work. No lights are lit up on the dash.

Thank you!

/ Throttle question #2  
It might be out of adjustment. My F Series has stop screws for idle and max RPM's.

Let us know what you find.

/ Throttle question #3  
I would first check for any error codes, particularly regarding filters. You can pull the cup holder 'liners' and you will find one or two screws that hold the center console. Pull the console (you won't get it completely out due to electrical connections) and you will see a set screw for the throttle which allows adjustment for top RPMs. Try adjusting to see if your top RPMs will increase. On my units (B series) top RPMs are approximately 2930. You are indicating that the unit runs well so I'm assuming this is not a fuel issue. One other time I that experienced a loss of power that was not fuel related was due to the drive motor failures. Another possibility is a failing Turbo but that is pretty obvious. Good luck and please report back any resolution.

/ Throttle question #4  
My "D" series will hit 3,200 rpm at full throttle.

DEWFPO

/ Throttle question
Thank you all. I should be able to look further into this tomorrow or the next day. Yes, it runs well and seems to have plenty of power for the engine speed I am getting. Hopefully its just and adjustment. I have never owned one of these units before; it is just for personal use so I will be working on it myself. But I don't know how to go about reading the codes... I am waiting on getting an operators/maintenance manual. I will post my findings this weekend hopefully. Thanks again.

/ Throttle question #6  
you need to pull the drivers seat to access the throttle stop on the IP , the operator manual is basically useless for this type of stuff. i just got a service shop manual today from bobcat it was 160.00

/ Throttle question
Well I have gotten back to trying to figure out this issue but I can't seem to find any obvious adjustments. I pulled the console and the stop screw is all the way out. This is really getting frustrating since I'm only getting about half the RPM I should be. I don't think it is a hydraulic system issue, its as if someone were to set the throttle of an otherwise perfectly good machine at 1400 RPM. Everything seems to work as it should other that the engine RPM. In otherwords it runs great. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

/ Throttle question #8  
Just out of curiosity, have you pulled the air filter to ensure its not blocked or hindered in any way? I ask because some years back I was picking up one of the TC's at the dealers and after a little warm up time I could not get enough RPMs to walk it up the ramp to the trailer. The service manager and I started looking at it and found a shop rag stuffed into the air filter chamber, apparently to safeguard something during the work. The service manager caught it right away.

I would look very closely at every 'reachable' inch of your unit as I remember an old friend telling me once that there are less than ethical people in the world with his example of 'watching' a man 're-route' plug wires on a truck he really wanted to buy cheap at the 'viewing' portion of an auction...

/ Throttle question #9  
What is the slowest RPM shown with the lever pulled all the way back?

/ Throttle question #10  
Its interesting that you have no error codes. This has got to be either fuel or air related assuming that there is no governor. I might also suggest you try swapping the relays in the panel under the dash on the passenger side. Possibly fuel relay failing? If that does not improve the situation I would find a way to get it on a dealers laptop for diagnostics. Their software will show past codes that no longer display on the controller and you may also be able to determine what has been done to the unit under warranty as well as service in the past. If the previous owner had this issue I would not be surprised to find they reached out to a dealer. You might also call the nearest dealership and explain the situation and see if they will run your VIN in their system. I did that before purchasing TC #3 to ensure the drive motors had been done.