Tractor
    none

Default power to pull a boat up a ramp

I'm considering buying a Toolcat 5600 for a variety of tasks on a 5 acre property. I have a boat and trailer with a total weight of just under 4000lbs (the rated towing capacity of the Toolcat 5600). Will the 61hp Toolcat engine have the power to pull my trailer and boat up the launching ramp to take the boat out of the water? I currently use a Chevy 4WD Suburban for the task, but I'd prefer to have a utility vehicle or tractor capable of the task. The launching ramp provides a firm bottom for the trailer and traction for the Toolcat. I am mostly worried about power.

Tractor
    JD 3320, 820,400,255

Default Re: power to pull a boat up a ramp

Should be more than enough power to pull a 4000 lb boat/trailer, heck Id bet that it would pull the suburban with it. I would recommend pulling from the draw bar though.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Should have no problem. Use Low range, at least 3/4 throttle, and easy on the travel pedal. If the front end feels light with boat hooked up, put some weight in the bucket.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

Quote Originally Posted by cartod View Post
    Should be more than enough power to pull a 4000 lb boat/trailer, heck Id bet that it would pull the suburban with it. I would recommend pulling from the draw bar though.
    That's the way the local marina did it. Steep cement ramp and the lake end of the ramp had a drop off if you backed down too far. People got stuck with the trailer wheels dropped over the cement. Marina would send a guy down with a little Ford 8N, pull out the boat, trailer, and tow vehicle at the same time.

Another nice touch on that 8N was a ball hitch in front.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

The ball hitch in front would be a nice touch. Make it much easier to hook up and monitor your progress.

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

Don't worry about the power, working on dirt I always run out of traction before power. The Toolcat should have more traction than your Suburban.

My 5610 easily moves this 5000 pound trailer on flat ground.
    -p7280004-jpg

And pulls an 8' box blade.
    -p3180008-jpg

The 1800 pound brush hog.
    -pc190004-jpg

I would also recommend a front hitch, so much better for backing the trailer.

I use this three point hitch on a SSQA for the front.
    -p1300004-jpg -p4010009-jpg -p4010012-jpg
    Hold "Ctrl" and click on picture to open it in a new Tab.

My Avatar, the TORO+Loader:
    Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

Compact Telehandler: ​(This replaced my tractor) V417 Versahander

Platinum Member

I agree. Plenty of power. Depending on grade of ramp, maybe some weight in the bucket.
    I have pulled a 5500 lb trailer through the mud with ease but it was on fairly level ground.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    BX-23

I do not use my TC (2007 "D") much to tow things; however, when I have used it for tugging...typically to "unstick" folks in the winter in some very difficult circumstances...it has been awesome. The looks of incredulity on the faces of those watching is priceless.

Tractor
    Mahindra Max 25

Quote Originally Posted by Xfaxman View Post

I use this three point hitch on a SSQA for the front.
    -p1300004-jpg -p4010009-jpg -p4010012-jpg

Since there is no DOWN force on a 3-pt wouldn't there be concern about tongue weight? Once the weight of the boat is behind the rear wheels of the trailer its going to want to have negative tongue weight and lift the 3-pt arms or possibly the back of the tractor? Obviously if the trailer is backed in the water far enough this shouldn't happen. This happens occasionally in my small single axle garden trailer if load it heavily in the rear.

Tractor
    Bobcat V417 Toolcat 5610 F TORO+Loader

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyesvictim View Post
    Since there is no DOWN force on a 3-pt wouldn't there be concern about tongue weight? Once the weight of the boat is behind the rear wheels of the trailer its going to want to have negative tongue weight and lift the 3-pt arms or possibly the back of the tractor? Obviously if the trailer is backed in the water far enough this shouldn't happen. This happens occasionally in my small single axle garden trailer if load it heavily in the rear.
    Yes that is a concern, that is why I use that assembly on the front for tongue trailers. But on a 3 point you can use a chain from the drawbar to the back of the toplink pin and limit the upward travel.

Toolcats come with a frame mounted receiver hitch and a long ballmount/drawbar, so no problem that way.
    -very_2003_bobcat_toolcat_5600_utility_vehicle_skid_steer_loader_357_hours_4_lgw-jpg -toolcat_5610_3_point_hitch-89742-lr-medium-jpg -p5090004-jpg
    Hold "Ctrl" and click on picture to open it in a new Tab.

My Avatar, the TORO+Loader:
    Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

Compact Telehandler: ​(This replaced my tractor) V417 Versahander