Code 50-54

/ Code 50-54 #1  

MAS1972

Tractor
Toolcat 5600D
I have a Toolcat 5600D, just had a lot of work done to it...new wiring harness, new sensors, etc, it keeps throwing this code 50-54. Manual says that is "swashplate not in neutral", shop says it's probably a short. Long story short, the tech comes out and drives it around, can't get it to throw the code so they don't believe it's happening. The one time I was able to leave it running, it ran ALL day and the guy never came out. Anyone have any ideas?

/ Code 50-54 #2  
MAS1972,

While my units are B series and may be completely different, I had a similar issue some years ago but the error code was 50-56. The issue was intermittent and would throw the code and stop the machine dead in its tracks. During the summer I hauled it two hours away to the dealer who had it for months and could not get it to throw the code again. After the last visit after hauling it home it immediately threw the code again and could not be moved no matter what we did. Ultimately the problem was with a 'connector' behind the dash. After replacing dash controller, etc. it turned out to be a simple fix. The final connector was not making solid contact and not allowing the CPU's to talk to each other. If you can get your dealer to 'identify' which wires are associated with that error code and then start at the Controller at the firewall. Carefully check to make sure the multi-pin harness connector does not have any bent, broken, or missing 'pins'. If all is well there, note the wires (they are coded and numbered) and then pull the dash controller and pull the 'ganged' plastic connector associated with the wires and carefully inspection each individual wire and its connector. Hopefully your issue will be there. Good luck!

/ Code 50-54 #3  
MAS1972,

To gain access to the Controller on the firewall you will need to pull the center console and possibly one panel behind the seats. To pull the center console remove the cup holder 'liner'. Then pull the two or three torx screws, pull the rubber cover off of the hand rest by the joystick, then lift the center console. You will not be able to completely remove the center console unless you release each electrical switch connection. You should be able to leave them alone and push the console to side while you work.

/ Code 50-54
Thank you so much! I've been told to follow each wire from the harness and look for a short...we've found none. We'll try this too, but I think I have figured it out. It only throws the code when using the attachment ie when using the hydraulics. The swash plate isn't where it's supposed to be landing causing pressure failure. What do you think?

/ Code 50-54 #5  
MAS1972

I had the same situation. The unit would not throw the code until the Blower was attached to the TC. I suspect you have the same scenario but with a different set of wires. I'm no expert but I'm betting that 'one end' of the specific wires has a bad connector that is making intermittent contact.

/ Code 50-54
Thanks timm! I spoke with yet another mechanic the other night, this one actually seems to know what he's talking about for a change. Even though the manual in the TC calls out that the 50-54 code is a swashplate error (as does the internet...everything is true there) it is actually a differential error code. Anyway, he thinks it could be as simple as the codes never being erased when it was worked on. We are unplugging the master plug today to see if that might fix it.

/ Code 50-54 #7  
MAS1972,

If memory serves me and there are no differences with the series, I do not believe that a mechanical issues that has been resolved (but the code not cleared) will still interfere with the unit. Over the years issues that have 'thrown' codes and been resolved mechanically still show the code when the unit goes to the dealer for service even though the issue was resolved previously. If after resetting the error code you still have issues I strongly suspect it is with an individual wire 'connector' at either end of the wires in question. Make sure and post the 'cure' so that others down the road will benefit.

/ Code 50-54 #9  
Depending on the series. A 50-54 code on a "C" model is a diff lock error. "D' changes to swashplate errors.

/ Code 50-54 #10  
I have a Toolcat 5600D, just had a lot of work done to it...new wiring harness, new sensors, etc, it keeps throwing this code 50-54. Manual says that is "swashplate not in neutral", shop says it's probably a short. Long story short, the tech comes out and drives it around, can't get it to throw the code so they don't believe it's happening. The one time I was able to leave it running, it ran ALL day and the guy never came out. Anyone have any ideas?

Did that service tech. Plug your machine to his laptop?? He could have looked at the machine code history and seen the 50-54 code even if it did not happen when he was there.