Water in Fuel Issue

/ Water in Fuel Issue #1  

timm9

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat(s) 5600B-Turbo(s)
I promised a follow up posting after we resolved our chronic water in fuel issue. Please keep in that all three of my TC痴 are B Series. At the end of the snow season (assuming you had one) I took the first TC to the dealer for service as well as the water in fuel issue. The last few winters we have been plagued with water getting into our fuel and no matter what measures/precautions we took it kept happening.

I received a call from the dealer indicating that the problem is with the second tank. While I have owned and operated TC痴 for over 10 years, I never knew there was a second fuel tank. The second tank is located immediately under the passenger seat. It is hidden/protected with a metal cover and does not look like a tank.

Long story short, after removal and cleaning the tank ensure that water was not finding its way into either tank they have determined that we evidently got a bad load of fuel that introduced the water in the system and eventually founds its wat into the recess of the second tank. The way the second tank is designed it allows the water to accumulate in the recess where the additives were not properly mixing before entering the engine. Additionally, the pick-up tube was lying in the recess where the water was pooling. The pick-up tube has been relocated as well.

My dealer (which is in Stockton CA) apparently acquired a few more locations including Reno, NV. The Reno dealership services both sides of Lake Tahoe and Truckee and the Service Manager at the Reno facility was the Toolcat Guru that made the diagnosis.
Do I think there is a possibility of a repeat? Absolutely. Anyone can get a bad load of fuel. But the next time I will know how to resolve the problem quickly by dropping the second tank and flushing. If it does happen again I will be installing a petcock at the recess of the second tank so that I can easily drain off the water in the recess if necessary.

Lastly, after 5 years of severe Drought in California we have decided to liquidate all of our equipment with the exception of one TC and one Plow Truck. After sending out notices to all of our clients including contact numbers for my largest competitor (we are friends) only to discover that he is quitting as well. The two largest snow removal contractors in our town just shut their doors. It should get very interesting if we have a real winter

/ Water in Fuel Issue #2  
Thanks for the follow up. I have an "A" model and wonder if it has the second tank. The specs for the machine indicate an 8 gallon tank and that would appear to be the size of the external tank.

Best of luck with snow removal. Everything comes in cycles so a real winter will happen.