Float position while plowing

/ Float position while plowing #1  

BubbyGRC

Tractor
2012 Toolcat 5600
Hi, this will be my first full season plowing/blowing with my Toolcat. I purchased it last April and missed the majority of deep snow. I have a 1/2 km gravel lane and approx. 150 ft. drive class "A" gravel topped with fine stone known locally as crusher dust. My attachments for snow removal include a SB240 Blower, 94" Snow Pusher , an 80" Snow Bucket and the sander/salter. My service manual states to never drive forward while in the float position when using the buckets as it could damage the lift arms. I operated my mower all summer while in the float position but I realize that has wheels. Can anyone out there give me their views as I find the manuals to be very vague and I don't want to damage my machine. I find your site very helpful and its my #1 resource.

/ Float position while plowing #2  
BubbyGRC,

I have three B Series Toolcats with Blowers and Buckets for each. I will say that virtually 97% of the time I'm plowing or blowing in float. The only time I'm not in float is when its a nasty uphill and I'm trying to cut ice...

/ Float position while plowing #3  
Hi, this will be my first full season plowing/blowing with my Toolcat. I purchased it last April and missed the majority of deep snow. I have a 1/2 km gravel lane and approx. 150 ft. drive class "A" gravel topped with fine stone known locally as crusher dust. My attachments for snow removal include a SB240 Blower, 94" Snow Pusher , an 80" Snow Bucket and the sander/salter. My service manual states to never drive forward while in the float position when using the buckets as it could damage the lift arms. I operated my mower all summer while in the float position but I realize that has wheels. Can anyone out there give me their views as I find the manuals to be very vague and I don't want to damage my machine. I find your site very helpful and its my #1 resource.

Does thew plow have any sort of provision for moving up and down independently of the loader arms? If it is a snow blade it should. If it doesn't put the loader in float and go real slow.

/ Float position while plowing #4  
I did find the Toolcat operator Manual a bit vague but it does specify buckets not attachments. I also looked at an SB200 op. man. and it didn't say anything about not using float.:confused3:

/ Float position while plowing #5  
My dozer has float and I use it all the time--When back-dragging. Any attempt to go forward in float results in the blade digging into the dirt. I can't imagine anything else happing with other types of bladed equipment unless there's some type of skid on the blade. A bucket is no different if the leading edge is angled down.

/ Float position while plowing #6  
I picked up my first tractor a few months ago and intend to use it to move snow. My first major project with the tractor was to dig a monolithic slab foundation. The "float mode" was great for back grading once all the cement work was done. However I accidentally moved forward with the bucket down in float mode and it quickly dug right in. This made me think about plowing in my gravel area.

My driveway is paved and ~130' in length. I have an extra parking area that is covered with reprocessed asphalt that is fairly well packed. I want to use the "float" feature so the bucket would just follow the contour of the driveway and gravel area. Knowing I had an issue in the yard moving forward in float mode, I decide to make a pair of "SKIS" to prevent the bucket from digging in. I think the concept will work well enough. I'm going to try "dry running" it this weekend and see how it works out.

Here's what I came up with for a design...

20151210_054130.jpg

20151210_054421.jpg

20151210_054438.jpg

/ Float position while plowing #7  
IMHO for snow plowing, the float should be in the blade not the FEL arms. Trying to use FEL float, even with skid shoes will result in digging up the drive, pushing the front end around and difficulty in maintaining traction and/or direction. The more freeze thaw cycles you have, the worse this is going to be.

I have had great luck with the HLA snow plows with lateral float. I just set the blade so the shoes just touch and start plowing. Works great on my 1/4 mile pavement and gravel drive. This year just putting it on the tractor scared the snow away!