Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #1  

Jabonee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra
Hope this is an OK place for this post. Anyone out there with the Bobcat hydra static utility vehicle or Polaris version of it? I have one here that won't get out of its way climbing hills even in low range. Did a little research a found this has been an ongoing issue. I have the newest model that is supposed to have this drive issue resolved but 2 or3 MPH up hill!! Whats going to happen with an attachment on it like a mower or snow blade. Seems like this" power management" as they call it isn't worth the cost. It destrokes the pump to much. Like to here you thoughts or suggestions.:confused3:

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #2  
You might get more views/replies in the utility vehicles forum. Not sure.

I looked at/drove a Polaris Brutus but that's the extent of my expertise on these so I can't be of much help. Sorry!

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #3  
Hope this is an OK place for this post. Anyone out there with the Bobcat hydra static utility vehicle or Polaris version of it? I have one here that won't get out of its way climbing hills even in low range. Did a little research a found this has been an ongoing issue. I have the newest model that is supposed to have this drive issue resolved but 2 or3 MPH up hill!! Whats going to happen with an attachment on it like a mower or snow blade. Seems like this" power management" as they call it isn't worth the cost. It destrokes the pump to much. Like to here you thoughts or suggestions.:confused3:
I worked on one with same problem. It was an earlier model with Yanmar Engine. The power management will only change speed a couple mile per hour when working correctly. What did and eventually found:
1. Put it up on jack stands and it up to full RPM forward and reverse to see if engine RPM and ground speed would come up to spec. The one I had could be adjusted to meet forward travel but Reverse would be way to slow, if set for reverse then forward was off, too slow.
2. It took longer than it should have to fined problem, but check the floor pedal connection wear it clamps to cable shaft under the floor. This clamps on just link the pintle arm the loaders. The one was working had broken right the clamp, when first checked my helper retightened and made things better but not fully correct. Once I found the broken pedal and replaced it all was fine.

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive
Update for those interested. After much consternation and too many phone calls to the N Dakota I found the solution to my slow drive issue. Seems this horse power management system is to blame. The engineer at Bobcat explained that because of low HP engine used coupled with a hydrostatic drive, Polaris had to incorporate a HP management system to keep the engine from being overloaded and drug down. This system basically keeps the engine RPM ahead of the drive load. For those of you that have had this issue and the cable adjustments on the command lever were not the solution or only marginally increased the performance, you may want to adjust the HP management spring. Only draw back is now you will have to manually destroke the drive to keep up engine RPM but that should not be a problem for those who have experience operating a hydrostatic machine. :thumbsup::dance1::cool2:

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #5  
After reading into this site, the procedure was followed per the site's instruction. Set the speed control lever rpm's, forward and reverse rpm's. Next, the reverse speed was set at 8-8 1/2 mph, not any over, important! Each time when the cables are adjusted to the proper setting, the engine rpm's must be reset! Kept adjusting until the speed and rpm's are properly set. Once this is performed, the vehicle will then exhibit better forward drive performance, even feeling a shifting as you accelerate. This procedure allows for a faster ground speed with a little less pulling power. Now after all adjustments have been made, the vehicle will go 20 mph in as little as 150'. The ground speed is 30 mph, (published speed), and also now the vehicle will have all sort of power to climb steep grades. We have successfully adjusted other 3650's that could hardly get out of their own way with the same satisfactory results. Once that reverse speed is set @ 8-8 1/2 mph, the rest just kind of falls into place.
Bobcat 11/12/2015 11:37 AM I received some additional testing for a loaded performance test.

FORWARD TRAVEL RPM CHECK (PERFORM LOADED FOR CAB VEHICLES, UNLOADED FOR NON-CAB):
This check verifies the horsepower management system is functional and adjusted correctly for optimal performance. The command torsion spring bolt can be adjusted in quarter increments beyond the baseline setting below to match personal preference or based on accessory loads and vehicle usage.

1. With transmission in HIGH range on level asphalt depress the travel control pedal to the full forward position with a quick fluid motion.
2. The engine RPM at 20 mph (32.2 km/h) should be in the range of 3400-3600 RPM for loaded testing and 3550-3650 RPM for unloaded testing. If engine RPM is not within specifications proceed to steps 3-6. If the horsepower management functionality is within specification, proceed to the æ“¢ORWARD TRAVEL SPEED CHECK?
3. To decrease the engine RPM (increased engine pull down), loosen the command torsion spring bolt nut (Fig.1 Item 6) and tighten command torsion spring bolt (Fig.1 Item 5) ï½¼ turn.
4. To increase the engine RPM (decreased engine pull down), loosen the command torsion spring bolt nut (Fig.1 Item 6) loosen commad torsion spring bolt (Fig.1 Item 5) ï½¼ turn. Note: This setting can be adjusted to match user preference, if desired. Tightening the spring will result in increased engine pull down/lug and may require more modulation of the travel control pedal when under load. Loosening the spring decrease engine pull down/lug under load.
5. Repeat steps 3 - 5 until the RPM is within specification. If Forward Travel RPM is within specifications proceed to FORWARD TRAVEL SPEED CHECK.
FORWARD TRAVEL SPEED CHECK (PERFORM LOADED FOR CAB VEHICLES, UNLOADED FOR NON-CAB):

This check verifies the horsepower management system is functional and adjusted correctly for optimal performance with a full accessory load. The command torsion spring bolt can be adjusted in half turn increments beyond the baseline setting below to match personal preference or based on accessory loads and vehicle usage. On straight, level asphalt or concrete, mark off a distance of 250 feet (76.2 meters) for non-CAB/HVAC models and 300 feet (91.44 meters) for CAB/HVAC models.

1. With transmission in HIGH range depress the travel control pedal to the full forward position with a quick fluid motion. Vehicles equipped with CAB/HVAC should accelerate from 0-20 mph (0-32 kph) in a distance of 300 feet (91.44 meters) and vehicles without CAB/HVAC in 250 feet (76.2 meters) or less. Perform test in both directions across the testing field and average the speeds. If vehicle does not obtain the desired speed in the specified distance proceed to Step 2. If vehicle obtains the desired speed in the specified distance the performance checks procedure is COMPLETE. Reconnect hydraulic temperature sensor and clear DTC with Digital Wrench.
2. Tighten command lever torsion spring bolt ï½¼ turn to increase speed. NOTE: If the vehicle does not meet performance specifications after three complete tests contact Bobcat Service Troubleshooting for further assistance.

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #6  
if you want whole article pm me, I have access to any bobcat of Mahindra info. I am here to help

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive
New update for those considering a new 3650. Just got a new one for retail. Took it for a test drive right off the truck. This buggy cooks ! Made my you know what pucker. I have no doubt I could have gotten it up to 35+ MPH But I ran out of parking lot. It climbed hills with plenty of power. Got a follow up call from Bobcat ND to check on performance. I gave it an A-1. Seems it has been an issue from the get go from Polaris. I guess Bobcat put the screws to them and got the issue resolved. :thumbsup:

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #8  
I know this is an old forum but i have a 2014 Polaris Brutus and have the speed issue. I'm lucky to get to 20mph on the street. I live in Tulsa, OK. is there any service dept. in the area that is knowledgeable on this?

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #9  
I know this is an old forum but i have a 2014 Polaris Brutus and have the speed issue. I'm lucky to get to 20mph on the street. I live in Tulsa, OK. is there any service dept. in the area that is knowledgeable on this?
You would be lucky to hit 30mph. I'm thinking that mine has only done maybe 24mph: just not worth the hassle to get more of something (speed) that I don't need. I only rarely drive mine (2013) on the street, and when I do I know that it's NOT a high speed machine (tires and handling make it so). They're WORK vehicles.

Attachments

• PolarisAndTrailer.JPG
    PolarisAndTrailer.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 591

And on my property NOTHING is going to be able to go fast anyway: very uneven ground, ditches, trees...

/ Bobcat 3650 utility vehicle/slow drive #10  
I totally understand that, mine is mainly gonna be used on our 180 acre hunting property. But 5mph more could help out just a tad. LOL. i hoping it will go uphill at a decent pace. Have not tested it out there yet.