50-56 code

/ 50-56 code #1  

birddog0304

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere/Massey Ferguson/Bobcat
A series
Cranked easily and let warm for 20 mins. Backed out and moved 20-25 forward when forward progress stopped. Unable to move forward or reverse, loader still functional. Raised inside (seat)arm and checked outside, no problems. Returned to seat, put arm down and directional indicator warning is flashing to return switch to neutral. Shifted forward, neutral, reverse several times, however indicator keeps flashing to return to neutral. 50-56 code was indicated. Turned toolcat off to clear code, which it did. Restart is not possible as direction indicator is still indicating it is not in neutral. Removed directional switch and tested with meter, functioning as it should. I know the 50-56 code is not very specific. All help is appreciated.

/ 50-56 code #2  
birddog,

I have three 'B' Series Toolcat(s) and had the same error (50-56) they you are throwing. That error is referencing a communication error that I suspect is between the controller on the interior firewall against the rear bulkhead between the seats and the dash controller. At the time the unit was 'dead in the water' and my service manager provided the information to further diagnosis. I will look and see if I still have the specific 'wire numbers' to trace, etc. In the end my issue was actually inside the connector where the wire running from the firewall controller meets the dash controller. It was a bad connection inside the molded connector and a very simple fix. I will try and find the info sheet I was provided. PM me with an email...

/ 50-56 code #3  
Definitely check all connections as Timm9 mentioned. If nothing is obvious, another possibility is having dealer upgrade your software. I don't remember exactly when but about a year ago there was a software revision to force the main controller to wait an extra second or 2 before registering this code and locking up system. Give controllers a little more time to come on line before registering a communication error.

/ 50-56 code
Thx to both of you. Got the email Tim. Was able to check fuse. That was okay. Started snowing, so tarped the toolcat for now. I will start checking connections when weather allows. I will let you know what I find.

/ 50-56 code #5  
Thx to both of you. Got the email Tim. Was able to check fuse. That was okay. Started snowing, so tarped the toolcat for now. I will start checking connections when weather allows. I will let you know what I find.
Here is the Bobcat trouble tree. If your machine has an ACD cable its not smashed is it? cap on it?

Code: 50-56: CAN Communications Fault
Description:
A Code 50-56 occurs when communication is lost between the Drive Controller and the Display Controller. The Drive Controller and the Display Controller use CAN Communication to transmit data to one another. If Code 50-56 occurs while in operation, drive will be disabled.
Possible Cause:
Mainframe harness, Fuse 1 or Cab harness, Fuse 4.
CAN communication wires.
Drive Controller.
Display Controller.
Moisture, corrosion, or pushed back pins in the Drive Controller, Display Controller or wire harnesses. See Electrical Systems Service Manual for connector maintenance.
If the code is intermittent and not on at the time of testing, the cause of the code may not be found at this time. Probable causes may include: loose connections, corrosion, pushed back pins, the controller, the wire harness or a combination of these problems. Refer to Troubleshooting Intermittent Electrical Faults Procedures.
Conditions for Code:
Key switch / (run/enter) On.
Conditions for Clearing Code:
Cycle power.

WARNING

Instructions are necessary before operating or servicing machine. Read and understand the Operation & Maintenance Manual, Handbook and signs (decals) on machine. Follow warnings and instructions in the manuals when making repairs, adjustments or servicing. Check for correct function after adjustments, repairs or service. Untrained operators and failure to follow instructions can cause injury or death.
W-2003-0199

WARNING

Never work on a machine with the cargo box up unless the cargo box is supported by an approved support device. Failure to use an approved support device can allow the cargo box to fall and cause injury or death.
W-2449-1102

WARNING

Never work on a machine with the lift arm up unless the lift arm is secured by an approved lift arm support device. Failure to use an approved lift arm support device can allow the lift arm or attachment to fall and cause injury or death.
W-2447-1102

Troubleshooting Procedure:
Note: Key switch / (run/enter) must be Off when connectors are connected or disconnected.

Step Action Live Data Yes No
1 Check Fuse 1. Is Fuse 1 OK?
Go to Step 2. Replace Fuse 1.
2 Verify that the Remote Start Tool is not connected to the diagnostic port. Check continuity on wires 9510 and 9610 from the Drive Controller to the Display Controller. Do theses wires have continuity?
Go to Step 3. Repair or replace wire harness.
3 Check wires 9510 and 9610 for a short to ground. Is either of these wires shorted to ground?
Repair or replace wire harness. Go to Step 4.
4 Check wires 9510 and 9610 for a short to a supply voltage. Is either of these wires shorted to a supply voltage?
Repair or replace wire harness. No problem found. Perform wiggle test.:thumbsup:

/ 50-56 code
Started checking all fuses. Found sw power (#2) blown. Return to neutral lite goes out when replace, but then try to start and fuse blows. Replaced twice and cont to blow. Then the rain overpowered my curiosity for now. ACD looks a bit rough(wiring) cap is on. I will check it further when weather lets up.

/ 50-56 code #7  
Started checking all fuses. Found sw power (#2) blown. Return to neutral lite goes out when replace, but then try to start and fuse blows. Replaced twice and cont to blow. Then the rain overpowered my curiosity for now. ACD looks a bit rough(wiring) cap is on. I will check it further when weather lets up.

Unplug the ACD harness going out to front from main harness then try the fuse again. If memory is correct this connection is behind the glove box in the dash. It will be a round 7 pin connection, looks just like the Service Computer connection and are usually next to each other. If fuse doesn't blow then, you will know short is in the ACD harness somewhere.

/ 50-56 code #8  
Am I understanding you post correctly. The fuse only fails when you turn the key to the crank position?? Fuse OK when you turn key to on position? That will narrow down the search. Can you post the unit SN# ?:confused3:

/ 50-56 code
Correct. Replace fuse and return to neutral lite goes out with switch in on(not start/crank)position. Turn key to start/crank position and fuses blows. Found and unplugged ACD, however no change in situation(fuse still blows)
SN *520511765*

/ 50-56 code #10  
Correct. Replace fuse and return to neutral lite goes out with switch in on(not start/crank)position. Turn key to start/crank position and fuses blows. Found and unplugged ACD, however no change in situation(fuse still blows)
SN *520511765*

Boy you sure got a good one going on there. I just looked wiring diagram for your unit. Fuse# 2 powers SKI and attachment options. Box lift and 2 speed on fuse 2 also. Just for kicks unplug you drive selector and try a new fuse.I can not see any related circuit that would only fail fuse 2 when cranking.I hope your display controller is not failing. Its awful expensive.:confused3: