Toolcat 5600 tracking issues

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #1  

rwpeyton

Tractor
Bobcat 5600 Toolcat
I have a 5600 Toolcat and I am having issues with the rear wheels not staying tracking straight, even when it is locked into front wheel steering. I continually have to switch to all wheel steering and turn my back wheels until the wheel straight light comes on then I can switch back to front wheel steering for a very short while then I have to repeat the process. In short the rear end drifts. I contacted the service department for our local Bobcat dealer and they told me the didn't know where to begin and it would cost me $10,000.00 or more to get the answer. Help!!!!

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #2  
I certainly don't know toolcats, but it must be either a leaky valve or a leaking cylinder (side to side, not necessarily dripping on the ground).

All I can think is to disconnect the lines and put caps on the cylinder. Drive around. Does it drift?
Probably should cap (or connect?) the lines that were disconnected from the cylinder, too. :)

If so, cylinder problem. If not, some valving/control issue.

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #3  
Any chance you got air in lines. I had a loader issue once that was secondary to air in lines. It resolved once air was removed. BTW , bobcat wanted around $1300 for a new joystick.

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #5  
Our 12 ton Dynalift telehandler used to do the same thing. You had to keep fixing the orientation of the back wheels. I guess it was just worn hydraulic cylinders or valves. I just got used to it.

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #6  
Check rear alignment of tie rods. Misalignment can cause your issue.:thumbsup:

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #7  
Or simply your tie rod ends. Not sure why but when Toolcat tie rods get stressed they break allowing the rod down shaft to swivel / move in the rod end. This gives you about 1-2" of play in a wheel.

Has anyone else noticed this failure mode?

IMG_5606.JPG

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #8  
It can throw you off because you still have steering but you can drift

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #9  
I had a tie rod fail some years back, and while its been a while I do believe the main symptom was that it would not track straight while roading.

/ Toolcat 5600 tracking issues #10  
You just jogged my memory, all 4 mounting bolts loosened and fell out of the rear steering cylinder. :eek: