Questions on D Series Toolcat

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #1  

WesternMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
I've been thinking about picking up a toolcat for sort of a do-all around our small farm. It would be used for some light dirt work, a little manure cleanup, mowing pasture, fence work, snow removal and to simply haul crap around the yard and pasture. I was going to get a skid loader but after much deliberation, I think a toolcat might suit our needs better.

I'm looking at a used 2008 D series currently. I'm wondering if there is anyplace that I can get series specific specifications? Is there anything in particular that I should know about the D series or anything that I need to watch out for? Did this series have high flow hydraulics standard or optional? Did this series suffer from the same traction issues that I've read about? Since I'm planning on using it for moving snow I need it to be able to get around on less that perfect surfaces.

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #2  
Hi Western,

I have three 'B' series so I am not familiar with any traction issues with the D series. I'm sure that a 'D' owner will chine in. You will want to ensure that the drive motors (2) have been replaced. The OEM drive motor supplier had a major issue with the 'sleeves' that line to motors sending particles throughout the closed hydraulic system and plugging the filters. While it has been quite a few years since my drive motors were replaced, at the time the cost was approximately $8000.00 per unit.

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #3  
Hi Western,

I have three 'B' series so I am not familiar with any traction issues with the D series. I'm sure that a 'D' owner will chine in. You will want to ensure that the drive motors (2) have been replaced. The OEM drive motor supplier had a major issue with the 'sleeves' that line to motors sending particles throughout the closed hydraulic system and plugging the filters. While it has been quite a few years since my drive motors were replaced, at the time the cost was approximately $8000.00 per unit.

I thought the drive motor issue was limited to the A and early B series.

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #4  
I thought the drive motor issue was limited to the A and early B series.

X2

High-Flow is optional on the D series. I have a one that I bought new in 2008. No mechanical issues with mine. I've replaced the battery once and that was earlier this year.

I too considered a skid steer but my wife with the controls in the Toolcat, flexibility and the comfort.

I live in very hilly terrain and use Ag tires. In the winter I sometimes use chains when I there's too much ice on the slopes. The D Series has better traction in 2WS than in 4WS.

DEWFPO

Last edited:
   / Questions on D Series Toolcat
Well, I sold my Polaris Ranger and midsize tractor/cab/loader recently and the Toolcat looks like the best one-machine replacement to me so I think that's the way I'm going to go.

New is way out of the budget for me so I'll have to go used. One of my biggest concerns with the Toolcat is the potentially expensive repairs compared to a tractor. It sounds like drive motor replacement can be an $8,000 proposition! I understand that anything can happen but how many hours should you be able to expect out of these machines with relatively gentle use? The used one that I'm most interested in currently is a 2010 with about 1,300 hours on it.

Are you happy with your TC? It really seems like the perfect tool for situation like mine, general utility around small hobby farm.

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #7  
Well, I sold my Polaris Ranger and midsize tractor/cab/loader recently and the Toolcat looks like the best one-machine replacement to me so I think that's the way I'm going to go.

New is way out of the budget for me so I'll have to go used. One of my biggest concerns with the Toolcat is the potentially expensive repairs compared to a tractor. It sounds like drive motor replacement can be an $8,000 proposition! I understand that anything can happen but how many hours should you be able to expect out of these machines with relatively gentle use? The used one that I'm most interested in currently is a 2010 with about 1,300 hours on it.

I just saw a 2008 for sale online that had 5,030 hours on it. I've seen many with 3-4000 hours on them. The drive motors were a problem on the A & maybe B series. You really don't hear about motors needing to be replaced on the later series.

We do like ours, it was the best 'all around' machine for us. It was expensive but we figured it's gonna last longer than us so we bit the bullet. I sold our Massey Ferguson tractor to buy the Toolcat. Another big selling point for us was the ease of changing out attachments. My wife can do it and that's what we wanted. We're a little older and she's only 5'3" and 108 lbs. soaking wet.

If you're planning on digging with the front bucket, make sure it has teeth on it.

BTW, it can pick up more than the 1,500 lb rating. Several of us have done it. If you do, it helps to have ballast in the bed and the tires pumped up to max. psi.

As well, it's a very comfortable piece of equipment.

Not long ago, I was helping a neighbor take down a vegetated hill next to his house so he could make a flat spot for a garage. He was on his John Deere (no cab) and it started raining pretty hard. He jumped off the JD and hopped into the Toolcat. I kept working since we were nice and comfortable in the cab and he kept commenting on how comfortable the ride was. We were moving the dirt and brush about 100 ft over rough terrain. He didn't want to hop back into the JD's seat. :)

DEWFPO

I saw the same unit you're talking about with 5,030 hours on it and reported to be in excellent running condition. Do these machines show mileage as well? Or just hours? I would assume that the vast majority of that machines hours were spent piddling around, picking up branches, sweeping sidewalks and such. Even still, I'd be a little leery of buying it with that many hours and the price would have to be very "right".

The one I'm looking at now is a 2010 with about 1,300 hours on it that appears to be in very good condition overall. It's hard to get an idea of what these things should be worth though, prices are all over the place from what I see. Any idea what a good price would be on a nice 2010 with 1,300 hours on it with bucket, hydraulic bobtach and road package?

/ Questions on D Series Toolcat #9  
Before you pull the trigger have the seller have a dealer plug in and print a copy of the service codes. This info will tell you the history of the unit and little tid bits like if the engine has been overheated or charge pressure is low indicating a possible drive motor issue.:confused3:

I like that idea but it's going to be pretty difficult since the nearest dealer is a long ways away. I guess I can ask him to load it up, haul it in and get that info for me but I won't be surprised if he doesn't want to.