Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics?

/ Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics? #1  

WesternMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Shopping now for a used Toolcat. Some of them that I'm looking at don't have high flow hydraulics. I'm pretty new to all of this and not sure what types of attachments need high flow? Can it be added? I'm going to use this for a general small farm machine, light dirt work, snow moving, moving feed bags, pasture mowing, ect. Nothing really serious, just looking to replace the small tractor/FEL and Polaris Ranger with one capable machine for upkeep around the homestead.

So, do I need high flow hydraulics and if so can it be added to a toolcat that is currently without?

/ Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics? #2  
It depends on what accessories you may eventually get. Flail mowers, stump grinders, asphalt grinders etc typically require high flow but as with everything, there are exceptions, mostly dependent on size. The only true way is to look at an accessory you intend to get and see if it requires a high flow. It would be mostly rotary tools requiring a constant flow as opposed to up down as a loader or a backhoe would need.
Can it be added after, sure but it's usually not cost effective when compared to having it from new. From your description I'd say no you don't need it....now but what does the future bring?.....M

/ Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics?
It depends on what accessories you may eventually get. Flail mowers, stump grinders, asphalt grinders etc typically require high flow but as with everything, there are exceptions, mostly dependent on size. The only true way is to look at an accessory you intend to get and see if it requires a high flow. It would be mostly rotary tools requiring a constant flow as opposed to up down as a loader or a backhoe would need.
Can it be added after, sure but it's usually not cost effective when compared to having it from new. From your description I'd say no you don't need it....now but what does the future bring?.....M

I could see myself renting a trencher, post hole digger or some other specialty tool from time to time. About the only thing I might buy would be some sort of a mower for the pasture. I assume that there are mowers/brush hogs that will run on the standard flow of a toolcat?

/ Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics? #5  
Really very few implements need high flow and then it is things like planners. They make standard flow snow blowers as well but you give up some throw distance.

Usually, you can get by with standard flow without any issues.

/ Do I Need High Flow Hydraulics? #6  
I have a standard flow snow blower.

You can find mowers and snowblowers that use either.

The power you are delivering to the attachment is definitely affected though.

Basically a toolcat with high flow is delivering the equivalent of about 50 hp. Standard flow is more in the 25-30 range.

However you likely will not notice much difference in operation because the hydraulic motors are sized for different flows so standard and high flow can perform similarly.

Hi flow allows for bigger attachments with higher continuous power requirements.

Last edited: