How is the cab noise in the Toolcat?

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #1  

WesternMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
The UTV's with full cab that I've been inside are ridiculously loud. I had a 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP that should have come with mandatory hearing protection for all passengers, that thing was obscenely loud to the point that it was very unpleasant to be in above about 10 MPH. I assume the in-cab noise of the Toolcat is far less, how does it compare to UTV or midsized tractor with cab?

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #2  
My toolcat is much quieter than my UTV or old Kubota it replaced. I don’t have a DB meter but even at full throttle with a mower running I can listen to my stereo without having to crank it up to hear.

Maybe other TC owners have an actual DB level at full throttle?

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #3  
My friend took me for a brief drive in his Gas Cub Cadet UTV, full cab. Man, talk about driving inside a lawn mower!

I guess there are different versions of the TC. I test drove one maybe ten years ago and found it quiet. Not requiring hearing protection. Very, very nice machine. At the time, cooling issues were a concern.

Just for what it's worth. I couldn't see getting a TC because it's too much "tool" for use as a transportation machine. The front suspension, well, there just isn't any! I always thought, they should have some kind of air ride up front, when you aren't carrying anything.

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat?
My friend took me for a brief drive in his Gas Cub Cadet UTV, full cab. Man, talk about driving inside a lawn mower!

I guess there are different versions of the TC. I test drove one maybe ten years ago and found it quiet. Not requiring hearing protection. Very, very nice machine. At the time, cooling issues were a concern.

Just for what it's worth. I couldn't see getting a TC because it's too much "tool" for use as a transportation machine. The front suspension, well, there just isn't any! I always thought, they should have some kind of air ride up front, when you aren't carrying anything.

Pretty sure the suspension and ride quality is a lot better than it was in the one you drove 10 years ago. As I understand it, they upgraded that in 2007 or 2008.

I'm not looking at the Toolcat for transportation, I'm looking at it to replace the tractor/loader/cab as well as the Polaris Ranger that I just sold, to be used as a general "farm utility" vehicle. light to moderate loader work, hauling things around the yard and in the pasture, fencing, moving bales, cleaning some pens, grading some dirt and being used as my primary means of snow clearing from the yard and driveway. I think it should be a good fit for those tasks, but if it was obscenely loud in the cab like my older Ranger I wouldn't buy one. That thing was downright offensive inside.

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #5  
I thought my Diesel Mule was kinda loud, with just a roof. But you are right. Offensive is a good word to describe some of these UTVs. All the more reason, I just LOVE my E-Gator. The Mule gets used very seldom now. But good to have if needed.

As much as I would like to reduce machine count, in reality, individual machines are just better suited for certain tasks, in my experience.

I would love to blow snow with a TC. Very comfortable. Not too crazy about the small wheel size though. When it comes to negotiating deep snow, you just can't beat large wheels.

So at the time, the firm front suspension was a deal breaker for me if the thing was to serve as a run around vehicle. And if you take that function away from it, maybe you are best served by some more capable machine. That was my take on it.

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #6  
I don't have a UTV to compare to but I don't find the noise in the cab of the Toolcat too loud. As far as comfort goes, I think my 2009 is very comfortable thanks to the springs.

DEWFPO

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat?
I don't have a UTV to compare to but I don't find the noise in the cab of the Toolcat too loud. As far as comfort goes, I think my 2009 is very comfortable thanks to the springs.

DEWFPO

My 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 XP with full cab was approximately like running a chainsaw at WOT while riding a lawnmower inside of a a steel shipping container with the door closed. It was ridiculous. I'm imagining that the toolcat will be no worse than the cab in my Kioti 73 hp. tractor with cab or the inside of a regular bobcat skid steer which will be a dream by comparison.

The new 2017 Ranger 900 was much quieter by comparison but still way louder than a $12,000 machine should be. I can't figure out why Polaris hasn't addressed this, it is literally a deal breaker for a lot of buyers.

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #8  
there is a app for the android smart phone, its free and works pretty good, use it all the time for work, worth downloading to try it,

/ How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #9  
It's why I love my E-Gator so much. QUIET! The older Toolcat I test drove a number of years back was acceptable. Compact equipment with the engine so close can only be so quiet. Also, making them with lots of sound proofing in the engine compartment, keeps in heat as well as sound. Apparently earlier TCs did have cooling issues.

Springs? Did they do something about the non existent (so it felt) front suspension on the TC? I thought something like air bags would be a good idea. Hard when you need it and soft when you don't.

Last edited:
   / How is the cab noise in the Toolcat? #10  
I drove a 2016 5610 and it was quiet compared to my RTV. The newer TC's have independent suspension and you can see the springs up front. The older ones had a solid axle setup.