toolcat 5600 no heat ideas?

/ toolcat 5600 no heat ideas? #1  

laurencen

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5600T Kioti CK20, Cat D2 dozer, Cat 420 tractor loader, Deer 644E loader, Bobcat E32 mini and Bobcat 590 skidsteer, Toro Groundsmaster 325D
my recently purchased toolcat 2003 vintage has next to no heat, using the manual I removed the drivers seat, found the valve, checked the 12 volts but when turning the pot on the dash nothing on the other two wires to the valve, too cold to remove the dash pot.

getting back to the valve, if I remove the outlet hose water is flowing good so the valve is open, coolant is defiantly hot and gauge is lower side of the green on the dash display, turn fan on and the air flow is decent, problem its cold, some sign of heat just not warm.

I removed the covers on the lower console passenger side, one is inlet side and allows you to see the AC core, dirty as there is no air filter, the other cover gets access to the heater core, the lines at the core are hot, the heater core also gets hot, turn fan on and cold at the vents, I tried leaving the fan off for a short time and on with the fan, nothing for warmth.

I think the core may be blocked and only picking the heat from the edges of the heater core due to running without filter, any other thoughts as to what it can be, there does not seem to be another hole the fan can pull cold air in bypassing the heater core I can see.

when the snow stops tomorrow I will try blowing compressed air thro the both cores from the heater side and see what exits, if lots of crap comes out it may be the issue but would like any other idea that is preventing heat

the AC is not the cause as Im told the belt is off the compressor

thanks in advance for any ideas

/ toolcat 5600 no heat ideas? #2  
If it's like a car, there's a damper that switches the airflow path from thru the evaporator core to the heater core. If that's the case, it sounds like the damper is not switching the airflow to go thru the heater core. It's usually just a big plastic flapper that's in one position or the other.

DEWFPO

/ toolcat 5600 no heat ideas?
DEWFPO thats what I figured but the evaporator and heater core are sandwiched together, there is maybe a 1/4 inch between them and no where for a damper, warming up some -15deg C today I will take air to it when I get home

Laurence

well after pulling the covers, blowing out the core and evaporator some dust came out but not enough to make a difference, have to head back to shop and try flushing the core but find it hard to believe its a air lock

now the heater is working, spent a few more hours on it and turned out the thermostat was stuck open, seems it needs the thermostat closed to get full flow to the heater, Bobcat was closed so a couple mins on the lathe I opened the thermostat cover to a larger one from Nappa

the thermostat was called a "fail safe" stuck open on a couple brass springs on the sides, I assume the motor got hot possibly due to coolant low causing the thermostat to lock open

Its -15deg C at this time and toasty in the cab

Last edited:
   / toolcat 5600 no heat ideas? #6  
Excellent, thanks for the update