What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't?

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won\'t?

I am seriously considering going from my L5030HSTC and RTV to the new 56hp turbo version of the Bobcat 5600 Toolcat. However, as of now, you can only get a rear 540 PTO, but not the lift arms. I'm really trying to lay out what advantages the Toolcat would have and what drawbacks it would have. Here is what I have so far.

First off, you can put a front mount finish mower on a Toolcat that does an excellent job. Actually here, the Toolcat is better at mowing with it's 4 wheel steering. However, I do need to run a bush hog about a half a dozen times a year. I don't know if I can run a pull behind type that will run off of the PTO and work without the lift arms or if they have a front mount bush hog? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thoughts on that?

For the loader work I do, the 5000 pound 4X4 Toolcat will do all that my 50hp 5030 will do. It won't quite lift as high, but for me that isn't an issue. I think that part is a wash. Thoughts?

I do use a rear blade and box blade to maintain my long gravel driveway. I eventually will have it concrete, but that is off in the future. They make both a box blade and power angle blade for the front of the Toolcat. I think this would be a wash. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Running my 6' rototiller. Ah, here seems to be a problem. I seem to use my rototiller several times a year. Anyone know of how a Toolcat can compete with this?

Using my PHD. I think that wouldn't be a problem. I'd sell my 3 pt. PHD, and just rent the hydraulic model that goes on the front of the Toolcat.

The Toolcat is rated to tow 4000 pounds and also haul and dump 2000 pounds in it's bed. This is considerably more than my RTV. Also, the Toolcat has a completely enclosed cab with both heat and A/C. Advantage over the RTV here. Top speed of the Toolcat is 18mph, whereas the RTV will run 25mph. This really isn't important to me, because I almost never run my RTV at speeds over 20 mph anyway. I use my Rhino for going fast. So, the Toolcat has most every advantage over the RTV. That part doesn't seem to be an issue. It's just using it as my tractor as well that has me worried.

One nice advantage of the Toolcat is that I can safely take my young son or my young daugeters with me when I'm mowing or doing other work where I can't on the tractor. They seem to love this idea.

So, what are some other thoughts from you guys as far as using a 56hp Toolcat to replace my RTV and 5030HSTC? I'm really undecided. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #2  
Re: What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won\'t?

A tractor will tip over easier than a Toolcat /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
A tractor will make you look better in bib overalls /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
A tractor will hold only 1 person (safely) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
A tractor will easily start a brand war if you mention its color /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
A tractor will never be confused with a golf cart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A tractor will inspire some country singer to sing about it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
A tractor will make women think you are sexy /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A Toolcat will haul about a ton in its own tilt bed, but can't load itself/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
A Toolcat will fit right into a retirement community drag race after the shuffleboard tournament /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A Toolcat will eat more of your wallet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
A Toolcat will confuse the real farmers when they see you tilling the garden /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
You can wear black socks with your sandels while riding in the cab of a Toolcat and people won't notice because they will be looking at your ride /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
A Toolcat won't use any of your current implements /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
If you drive a Toolcat to the country club, they WILL let you through the gate /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok on a serious note, if I had known years ago what I know today, I very likely would not own a traditional tractor at all. While my property is only a fraction of your property, I would own a similar machine to the Toolcat. In fact, as I have shared with you, Steiner makes a Utilimax with a couple diesel engine choices that is basically similar to a scaled down/stripped down Toolcat. I think the point of switching to a Toolcat is that you have to forget everything you already know and you have to adopt the concept of different thought. I went on a search a while back for a lawn tractor and thought I knew what I needed, turned out I bought a totally unconventional thing and it works differently but once you understand that, it does the job. I don't know if a Toolcat has a tiller or rough cut mower, but I suspect you could get a skid steer tiller and rotary cutter an adapt them, it might not be ideal but would likely work pretty well . . . that might favor a regular tractor, but there are other things the Toolcat will do better, especially on the turf and the 4wd and 4w/steer will show you advantages when you didn't know there were advantages. Again, I'm not saying it is easy to switch, especially given the financial considerations, but I could easily see dumping my equipment and getting a Steiner Utilimax for all my needs (if not for the financial issues, I probably would do it in a heartbeat).

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't?

Gees, I guess you hit it. I think if I spend enough money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif the Toolcat can very likely do everything (many things better) than my tractor. That not being able to load itself, although that sounds silly, has played in my mind. What good is a 1 ton dump truck if you have to load it by hand? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Hmm, maybe sell one of my Grasshoppers as well (since the Toolcat has a front mount finish mower) and buy a smaller open air tractor with a loader? I'd still go down 1 unit (if I sell the RTV, tractor, and Grasshopper), but how much more money? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It doesn't help that my 5 year old is begging to "go mowing" with me. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #4  

Sorry if this is long but I have a lot to offer here.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First off, you can put a front mount finish mower on a Toolcat that does an excellent job. Actually here, the Toolcat is better at mowing with it's 4 wheel steering. However, I do need to run a bush hog about a half a dozen times a year. I don't know if I can run a pull behind type that will run off of the PTO and work without the lift arms or if they have a front mount bush hog? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thoughts on that?)</font>
I think the finish mower will work great and the ToolCat is perfect for that. SkidSteerSolutions.com sells a attachment that goes on a Bobcat plate and recreates a 3PH on the front of a Skid Steer boom. It's has a hydraulic motor that will turn a 3PH PTO drive shaft. Watch out for the Skid Steer brush cutters, they cost like $5000.00++++

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( For the loader work I do, the 5000 pound 4X4 Toolcat will do all that my 50hp 5030 will do. It won't quite lift as high, but for me that isn't an issue. I think that part is a wash. Thoughts?)</font> That should be OK until that day that you need to go UP...

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I do use a rear blade and box blade to maintain my long gravel driveway. I eventually will have it concrete, but that is off in the future. They make both a box blade and power angle blade for the front of the Toolcat. I think this would be a wash. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif )</font> Be careful on that assumption, give it a try. I did not like the way a front blade worked, rear scrape blades and box blades perform totally different.... (I mean BETTER when I say different)

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Running my 6' rototiller. Ah, here seems to be a problem. I seem to use my rototiller several times a year. Anyone know of how a Toolcat can compete with this?)</font> Using the 3PH adaptor may solve this if you have high flow hydraulics. Check the specs and talk with Skid Steer Solutions to see what kind of HP you can get out of the adaptor. You may find a SS rototiller but it will be priced HIGH

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Using my PHD. I think that wouldn't be a problem. I'd sell my 3 pt. PHD, and just rent the hydraulic model that goes on the front of the Toolcat.)</font> I purchased the 3PH adaptor for my SS and then added the PHD option. It's just a bracket that bolts to the 3PH adaptor, hydraulic motor and bit. The cost was about 900.00 but it works great and all the work is done in front of you rather than twisted around over you sholder.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One nice advantage of the Toolcat is that I can safely take my young son or my young daugeters with me when I'm mowing or doing other work where I can't on the tractor. They seem to love this idea.)</font> This part is a great feature. My Jack Russell would love it. The minute I start the RTV or Tractor he's on and wants to ride with me. It hard on the tractor but he hangs in there.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So, what are some other thoughts from you guys as far as using a 56hp Toolcat to replace my RTV and 5030HSTC? I'm really undecided. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)</font> Think it through and try all the options, my Skid Steer adventure was costly and didn't do the job.
Keep in mind the TC will be HEAVY utility vehicle and may make ruts if it's just a little wet. The tires won't give it near the pull of the L5030 and that my be a problem when grading or pulling a scrape blade. Stumps are out of the question... I also read one thread about the screen in front of the radiator having to be cleaned a lot to avoid overheating and it required removing bolts to do so... That would be a PITA

I think you could make it work but there may be some trade offs.... Just make sure the box blade and scrape blade works like you want it to.... Also the bush hog item mays be ok if you are only doing light bush hog work. I just go the Woods RM990 finish mower and it has three spindles and bush hog style break-a-way blades. It can handle light bush hog style work and is available in a tow behind model. That would only work if you don't have to p/u the mower during bush hogging. Other wise you could go back to the high priced Ambusher style SS cutters.

Ok that's a mouth full and I plane is going to load soon....

Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress and findings.

Charles

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #5  

Hmmm. Interesting thought.

A couple things come to mind.
What about ground clearance (and traction) when clearing your large piece of land (or going through water)?
With the Toolcat weighing in at 5000#, will it limit when you can mow with it?
Will you need another play vehicle to go with the Rhino? The RTV isn't perfect but is usable for play for the family. Can the Toolcat be used at all in this regard?
Would you take a serious financial hit in selling the 5030, RTV, Grasshopper (and possibly your new big trailer since you may no longer need)?
As already discussed, will you need a 2nd machine for loading the Toolcat?

To add to a couple of Bob's thoughts.
With a tractor/RTV, you'll have more to post on TBN.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can wear black socks with your sandels while riding in the cab of a Toolcat and people won't notice because they will be looking at your ride )</font> (or a Hawaiian shirt)

Brian

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #6  

<font color="blue">( You can wear black socks with your sandels while riding in the cab of a Toolcat and people won't notice because they will be looking at your ride ) </font> <font color="red"> (or a Hawaiian shirt)

</font>

Hey, I resemble that!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #7  

Exactly why I mentioned it.
I had a mental pic of you on a tractor with the black socks, sandals, Hawaiian shirt and plaid shorts. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If Dargo does dress the same, I'd propose tinted windows... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

While we are off the subject, I did wear my Hawaiian shirt (actually picked up in Hawaii) yesterday to work. It's 100% silk and made by "Tommy" somebody; and it's not Hilfiger or whatever his name is. I got it as a prize at our golf scramble in Maui at the Plantation course. I had the wind conditions etc. just right and won the long drive contest. So, tell me, do all these 100% silk Hawaiian shirts have to be dry cleaned?! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Even though I like the feel and look of it, I won't wear it without an undershirt. It would have to be cleaned after each wearing otherwise. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ah, here is the pic just before the long drive. I managed to drive into the carts that are way off in the distance. They were past the marker for long drive. And, see, I don't even have a Hawaiian shirt on in Hawaii in this pic!

Attachments

• 698193-Long drive.JPG
    698193-Long drive.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 474
   / What will a tractor do that a 5600 Toolcat won't? #9  

One of the main reasons the lovely Mrs_Bob loves all that is special about me is that she doesn't have much laundry to do to keep me looking as good as I look . . . I am the best customer at the local dry cleaner!

Most silk requires dry cleaning, some is washable and will say so on the label. Very likely your shirt is Tommy Bahama, all my silk TB shirts are dry clean only.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Very likely your shirt is Tommy Bahama, all my silk TB shirts are dry clean only. )</font>

Hot dang it if you don't know your Hawaiian shirts! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That's it! That's the guy.