Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat

/ Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat #1  

BrianSouthernMD

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp
Some TBNers have asked about the Rear Window Guard for the Toolcat, and photo is attached. It's not essential, but I've found having it on there allows you to not have to worry about stuff in the bed banging into the back window, or about falling limbs doing the same! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It attaches to the hydraulically lifted bed, rather than the cab frame or window.

Attachments

• 760558-Rear Window Guard.JPG
    760558-Rear Window Guard.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,645
   / Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat #2  
Brian,

Does the solid part of the window guard extend above the top of the seats? I'm still debating whether to get one. So far I am only using the truck bed for carrying tools and supplies, and man is it ever useful and convenient. I've got the sprayed on liner on mine, but I don't suppose that would interfere with installing the window guard.

Also, I asked my dealer about the rear view mirror and he recommended that I don't get it, that he felt you should always turn around to look back rather than using a mirror. What do you think about that? Is this mirror inside the cab, or on the side.

One thing that I didn't get that I have already sourly needed is the rear lights kit. My dealer was in the process of moving when they were delivering my unit and promised to deliver a set after they sort out their inventory. I stayed working on the property past dark one day and the front lights let me keep going without any problem, but backing up was a real gamble. The reflection of the front lights made it impossible to see out the back window. With the days getting shorter, being able to work into the dark will be a plus.

One other initial impression, I wish we had one of those rocker pedals like on the Kubotas for going forward and backward. With front end loader work, it's a real pain to always be pausing to shift the lever back and forth. And a lot of times I'm concentrating on the loader and will forget I'm set for the wrong direction and find out by doing the opposite of what I intended. I'm going to suggest that to Bobcat. Won't help me, but I think a rocker pedal would be a big improvement.

/ Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat #3  
With front end loader work, it's a real pain to always be pausing to shift the lever back and forth. And a lot of times I'm concentrating on the loader and will forget I'm set for the wrong direction and find out by doing the opposite of what I intended.

<font color="blue">Rolando: I did this alot in the beginning too...after awhile you'll become more comfortable with it after brain cells get re-programmed! </font> /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does the solid part of the window guard extend above the top of the seats? I'm still debating whether to get one. So far I am only using the truck bed for carrying tools and supplies, and man is it ever useful and convenient.
Also, I asked my dealer about the rear view mirror and he recommended that I don't get it, that he felt you should always turn around to look back rather than using a mirror. What do you think about that? Is this mirror inside the cab, or on the side.)</font>
Rolando, installing the Rear Window Guard means you lose the bottom 4.5 inches of inside rear window visibility (below driver's seat top for me). You still have 14 inches of window visibility above the solid portion of the guard, all the way across, and that's plenty for me and all you need to see most of bed and beyond the bed.

The rear view mirror is centered inside the cab. (Outside side view mirrors are also available, but I thought they'd just get in way for me.) I use the rear view mirror when driving along our gravel roads mostly to see if another vehicle or a person is approaching from behind. Because I'm used to using a rear view mirror when driving cars and trucks, its regular use is automatic for me in Toolcat as well. I don't rely solely on the rear view mirror when maneuvering around obstacles during precise attachment use in close quarters, but instead often look back to confirm exactly how I am positioned. But remember the attachments themselves are out front (no mirrors or neck-craning needed to view)! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat #5  
I had a rear view mirror installed in my toolcat because I run down the local blacktop to the gas station for fuel and being out on the main road if only for the 1/2 mile run down the street, it is a great safety addition to my cat. My local town deputy told me that as long as I had my bubble light (got it at tractor supply) going around on the top of the cab that they would view the toolcat just like a farm tractor and would not have any problem with it out on the road as long as I did my best to pull over and let traffic pass.

/ Rear Window Guard for Bobcat Toolcat #6  
While on the subject of windshields in the toolcat. Just a word to the wise. The front (maybe all the glass) windshield in the toolcat IS safety glass but it is not laminated. So when it shatters all of the "snow" like tiny glass balls drop into every tiny space that you can imagine inside of the cat. I would have also thought that the glass would be some sort of extra tough construction grade glass. NOT. Last summer I had a kid with nothing more than a red rider BB gun take a shot at it and you guessed it - boom out went the windshield. I'm still finding little pieces of glass. The only good news was that the local auto glass company had access to the windshield and it was pretty quick and cheep to get fixed. Under $400 as I recall.

Dave,
That's great you can just fill 'er up with diesel a half mile away and not worry about fuel storage. And the safety items like flashing lights and mirrors do make a difference.

Welcome to TBN and the Bobcat Toolcat forum! We're glad you joined us. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you get a chance, it would be great if you could fill in some basic TBN profile info, such as geographic location (ie, state) and what year and model Toolcat you have (5600, 5600 Turbo?), and perhaps your lot size acreage.

And we hope you'll post more about experiences using your Bobcat Toolcat! I've had mine since August of this year. When did you buy yours and what attachments have you found handy so far?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While on the subject of windshields in the toolcat. Just a word to the wise. The front (maybe all the glass) windshield in the toolcat IS safety glass but it is not laminated. So when it shatters all of the "snow" like tiny glass balls drop into every tiny space that you can imagine inside of the cat. I would have also thought that the glass would be some sort of extra tough construction grade glass. NOT. Last summer I had a kid with nothing more than a red rider BB gun take a shot at it and you guessed it - boom out went the windshield. )</font>
Were you in the Toolcat? Glad the BBs only took out the windshield.

BTW, some Toolcat manuals and marketing materials have made reference to a "Front Window Guard - Special Applications Kit." A Rear Window Guard is actually offered, but evidently plans for a Front Window Guard have not turned into an actual accessory part offered for sale (so far). I'm not sure if the planned front window guard was similar to the metal rear window guard or if it was a lexan-type clear shield. I gather it would be between certain attachments like a chipper and the windshield, but I don't know how close it would be to either the end of the lift arm or the cab windshield.