New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #1  

BrianSouthernMD

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp
Bobcat will be launching a new smaller-scale model of its Toolcat work machine, according to multiple sources deemed reliable! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like its big brother 4-cylinder Kubuta diesel 46hp <font color="red"> 5600 </font> and 56hp <font color="red"> 5600 Turbo </font> models, the mini <font color="red"> Toolcat 4200 </font> will have 4-wheel steering, 4WD, HST, axle oscillation, suspension, front hydraulic lift arm & attachment carrier, hydraulic dump bed, etc. The Toolcat 4200 will be powered by a 3-cylinder engine and have an open cab. We're not sure about lift arm's ROC or auxilliary hydraulic flow rates. Expect more details soon.

The unique Toolcat was designed to do much of the work of a utility vehicle, skid-steer loader and CUT, all in one machine. Ever since the initial Toolcat was released in 2003, Bobcat has followed up with enhancements, such as a more powerful 5600 Turbo model in 2004, high-flow aux. hydraulics option, rear PTO option, revised lift arm, etc.

My current Toolcat is perfect for me. The 5600 and 5600 Turbo models have also been well-received by quite a few other satisfied customers, including large grounds maintenance institutional buyers. But with the 5600 Turbo weighing 4820 lbs. w/out attachments, potential purchasers with smaller properties and less heavy-duty lifting / carrying / pulling / cutting / etc. needs were not served.

Bobcat already offers multiple sizes and capacities in its other product categories. Now we'll see a wider range of models in the Toolcat work machine family! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #2  
Brian,
I think that many are quite excited to learn more about this newest industrial strength yet consumer sized Bobcat offering, myself included! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the update.
Steve

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #3  
Two stats they would have to hit to really get my interest:

1. Low enough weight for finish lawn mowing (like down around 1500 lbs.

2. Low enough price to make purchase a real possibility.

Any guesses (or the real scoop) as to either? I bet they come in around 2500 lbs and $25,000.

- Rick

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Two stats they would have to hit to really get my interest:
1. Low enough weight for finish lawn mowing (like down around 1500 lbs.
2. Low enough price to make purchase a real possibility.
Any guesses (or the real scoop) as to either? I bet they come in around 2500 lbs and $25,000.- Rick )</font>
keeney/Rick,
You might be pretty close. Bobcat conceivably could pleasantly surprise us just a bit on the price, but won't make your "dream machine" weight goal with the 4200 model. Keep tuned for the "real scoop" on specs.

The diesel Bobcat 2200 4x4 utility vehicle weighs 1433 lbs., and a Toolcat would come with heavier axles, plus lift arm, hydraulics, etc. But note weight of a finish mower attachment in float mode off lift arm would not be on the unit itself, and you'd have 4-wheel steer to help minimize potential weight issues on turf.

But note they've left a gap in their product numbering between the 2200 UV and the upcoming 4200 Toolcat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sounds like you might like functionality, size and weight in between for a now imaginary Bobcat 3200 Toolcat! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #5  
I was looking at what it would take to make a loader work with a tip weight equal to or greater than the total machine weight in a Toolcat style configuration.

Two problems to consider - the limited amount of space in the front of a toolcat-style configuration. The loader arms go through quite an arc angle, and at the horizontal position, they transfer the weight in the bucket several feet forward of the front axle.

The wheel-base of the machine also needs to be short to keep it from getting too big and heavy.

So in order to do a decent job of increasing the tip weight rating, the loader boom needs to have a compound linkage or what Bobcat calls "vertical lift" vs. a traditional "radius lift".

Another design concept that could solve this problem would be more of a pure vertical lift mechanism like a forklift mast.

- Rick

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #6  
Any guesses (or the real scoop) as to either? I bet they come in around 2500 lbs and $25,000.

Rick,
Although certainly not near the weight restriction that you desire, a stripped 46 HP Toolcat without a cab would come in for less than your 25K price restriction. I was quoted ~28K for a new 56HPTurbo with climate controlled cab, Toolcat B series for an outright cash purchase [ source: Lano Equip, MN ]. (Too bad I needed financing and preferred dealing locally.) Sacrificing a cab with heat and A/C would save you ~3K and the 46HP would shave off ~1K (these are rough #s). Based on this, I would guess that these 4200 series will be bought for ~highest teens-20K. *This is purely a guess, however, and note that undisclosed speculation is the foundation to many disagreements.* Thus my disclosure! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Steve
PS. I would say that your guess at the final weight of ~2500# is spot on. (*See above disclaimer*)

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #7  
That would be great if they had one for say $16,000 to $18,000. It is such a cool machine, and I would love to have one but no way can drop $30,000 on one + the attachments. I don't really need all that much power, I am not carrying big trees like your photos show, just small stuff. I think the Toolcat is the coolest machine made, it is awesome. Got my fingers crossed that they will build a less expensive model, that is robust but perhaps not quite as muscular.

You would not belive how many times I lurk on this board in the Toolcat section just listening to you guys talk about what you are doing with your Cool Cat.

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( That would be great if they had one for say $16,000 to $18,000. It is such a cool machine, and I would love to have one but.. Got my fingers crossed that they will build a less expensive model, that is robust but perhaps not quite as muscular. )</font>
rox,
Unfortunately your desired price is about what fully loaded diesel 4x4 utility vehicles (like Kubota RTV Worksite, JD Gator) are now commanding in USA. The new smaller Toolcat will have more functionality and hydraulics /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and very likely a higher price tag! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, it seems Bobcat (an Ingersoll-Rand business) has an extensive dealer network in France, throughout Europe and beyond. I noticed many Toolcat manuals appear available in at least six languages. You'll have to test out the new 4200 Toolcat when it arrives!

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #9  
RE: " a stripped 46 HP Toolcat without a cab would come in for less than your 25K price restriction."

The $25,000 was what I estimate the 4200 will come in at, not my desired price target. I would be interested in something more in the < $15,000 range.

Think of it as a sub-CUT with two seats, and $25,000 starts to be a pretty high price.

By the way, Lano equip. is just down the road from my house. In the past, they have been quick to get new models, so maybe when the 4200 comes out, I can go take a look at one there.

- Rick

/ New Mini Toolcat 4200: Bobcat To Add Smaller Model #10  
I hope that you are correct, but I checked with my local dealer, who in turn checked with Bobcat. He said they told him they are considering doing something smaller in the future, but are having trouble making the pricepoint that they feel that they need to be at. Are your sources privy to info a dealer might not be? Any kind of timeframe indicated? my hope would be something in 2500-3200 lb range 35-40 hp, shorter and narrower but without a decreased ground clearance.