Mud!

/ Mud! #1  

odleefs

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat/Toolcat 5600T C, 2000 Yamaha Grizzly
I had the toolcat out this evening moving some muck out of the barn and dumping in the woods on a trail that I am establishing. This top layer on the trail is a manure/wood shavings/hay mixture so it is soft when dry but slop when saturated. We have had ~12 inches of precipitation in October, so it is mud season! The toolcat was making deep ruts with flattened mud between the wheels where the axles were scraping. At one point on my 4th load, I thought I was stuck and would actually have to get out of the cab, but alas! instead I took it out of 4 wheel steer (finally remembering that the locking diff is non-functional when 4 wheel steer is active /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), engaged the locking differential and crept out of the soft spot I was in with ease. The Toolcat performed like a champ!
Tomorrow it is going to be almost 60 and sunny with a breeze so I hope it starts to dry things out and gets rid of the last remnants of snow still lingering (too early for that!) I informally bathed the Toolcat by driving it through a vernal pond in my quarry. Tomorrow I will give it a real bath and remove alot of the muck adhering to the underbelly...speaking of which, have those of you with Toolcats noticed the armor plate under these things - a tank would be envious!
Steve

/ Mud! #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought I was stuck and would actually have to get out of the cab, but alas! instead I took it out of 4 wheel steer (finally remembering that the locking diff is non-functional when 4 wheel steer is active /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif), engaged the locking differential and crept out of the soft spot I was in with ease. The Toolcat performed like a champ! Steve )</font>
I too didn't remember/figure that out until I really needed to keep moving! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif You get used to doing things in 4-wheel steer mode and it's great most of the time, but the locking diff and lift arm movement will get you out of a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And you also want to note whether or not Work Mode is engaged (button on Display Controller Panel).

/ Mud!
Brian,
The work mode is noteworthy. As you know, the transmission acts much more aggressivly when this is engaged. I primarily use work mode when travelling up steep hills. It may have worked while in the mud, but I didn't try it.
Steve

/ Mud! #4  
The 'Work Mode' is the four wheel drive setting, right? I don't know why Bobcat just doesn't call it that.

/ Mud! #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 'Work Mode' is the four wheel drive setting, right? I don't know why Bobcat just doesn't call it that. )</font>
My understanding is you're always in fully hydrostatic, 4-wheel drive with a Toolcat 5600, whether or not the drive system is operating in Work Mode. Work Mode gives the 4WD drive system a more aggressive response while maintaining hydraulic and traction power. It is handy to have such a drive system response mode choice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Moreover, there is an on-the-fly choice between Low Range Travel Speed (0 - 10 mph) and High Range Travel Speed (0 -18 mph). You only want to engage Work Mode in low range. And you should also only engage the differential lock (to provide extra traction) in low range.

You also can choose between Front Wheel Steer and All Wheel Steer steering modes. There are front and rear differentials (on both axles). The rear differential lock will not engage when the machine is in All Wheel Steer.

/ Mud! #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The 'Work Mode' is the four wheel drive setting, right? I don't know why Bobcat just doesn't call it that. )</font>

Rolando, I think of "Work Mode" sort of like a low-gear setting that allows you to do things like approach an attachment at a slower, more controllable rate, or any time that you're using an attachment and want a more delicate finesse, but maintain full hydraulic power.

Another example I can think of for using it would be approaching and picking up a heavy pallet of material, or any time you want to avoid inadvertently jerking the loader arm.

Hope that makes sense.../forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dean