Removing Air From Fuel System, After Hose Break

/ Removing Air From Fuel System, After Hose Break #1  

BrianSouthernMD

Silver Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp
We were going to town on brush removal this afternoon and had gathered a full load in the root rake brush grapple on my Bobcat Toolcat (with Kubota 56hp turbo). But one good-sized limb escaped the grapple, got past the front axle and underneach the machine, and broke a fuel line hose (8mm, 5/16") going between the main and auxillary fuel tanks. The sturdy limb with jagged edges wedged into just the wrong spot! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I got things shut down and clamped back up, but then air needed to be removed from the fuel system before starting the engine. (This procedure would also need to be done when you run out of fuel.)

The Toolcat service manual says you must remove the passenger seat to access the priming bulb and injection pump valve. But I found access to the hand pumb priming bulb more convenient from under the open dump bed, and that access to the injection pump valve could only be reached by removing the operator's seat (not the passenger's seat like manual said)!

Seat removal wasn't bad (two large bolts in back per seat). I opened the valve on the fuel injector pump and squeezed the hand pump extensively, but no fuel came from the valve. Things only got going after jiggling an adjacent breather hose.

So don't break a fuel line hose (like I did) or run out of diesel! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Removing Air From Fuel System, After Hose Break #2  
Brian,
Sorry to hear about your experience...I am sure that we all can learn from this. (Especially the part about not doing it in the first place! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
Steve