Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp

Default Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600

BobcatBoy indicated he's heard the Toolcat 5600 slope ability is 35% front-to-rear and 25-28% traversing side hills, dump bed loaded and attachments working, in answer to rox's question about slope degree ability in the Any Toolcat questions? thread. (See disclaimers in that thread.)

But do you think his source meant 35 percent of grade or a 35 degree angle for the front-to-rear slope? And 25% - 28% of grade or 25 - 28 degree angles for the side hill slopes?

* 35 % of grade is a 19.3 degree angle slope;
    * 25 - 28 % of grade is a 14.0 - 15.6 degree angle slope;

* 35 degrees is a 70 % of grade slope;
    * 25 - 28 degrees is a 46.6% to 53.2% of grade slope.

Remember 100% of grade equals a 45 degree slope angle, and has a horizontal run distance equal to the vertical rise distance. A 50% of grade slope equals a 26.6 degree slope angle, and has a run distance twice that of the rise distance.

The Toolcat has a feature set that makes it suitable for more challenging slopes than typical CUTs and skid steer loaders. Its weight is nicely balanced and it has a pretty low center of gravity. Significant axle oscillation keeps tires on the ground for better traction. And the entire full suspension system and the 4-wheel-steering (or rear differential at times) and several 4WD options also seem to help.

Such a feature set MIGHT point to the Toolcat's ability in ideal circumstances to handle 35 degrees front-to-rear and 25 - 28 degrees on side hills. The various 45hp+ PowerTrac oscillating units are rated for around 30 (w/4 single tires), 40 (w/duals) or 45 (w/duals) degrees of slope on side hills.

In the real world I wouldn't attempt anything close to those degrees. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I have successfully used my Toolcat with operating attachments at 21 degrees front-to-rear and 16 degrees on side hills. But the suspension really takes some getting used to on side hills. That is in line with 35%, or 19.6 degrees, front-to-rear, and 25 to 28 percent of grade, or 14.0 to 15.6 degrees, on side hills. So if the figures cited by BobcatBoy were percent of grade, they are realistic to achieve in actual practice. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I'm sure the Toolcat would achieve higher slope ratings in static tests in ideal conditions! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

And remember results will vary with field conditions, operator experience, comfort level, etc. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Any other thoughts on Toolcat use on hills?

Tractor
    JD 40

Default Re: Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600

Although I did not specifically ask, I would assume my source was alluding to percent of grade, and not degree angle. The degree angle your math provides seems a little steep for the Toolcat to handle.

If I get a chance, I will confirm that assumption.

Rob

Verona, KY (across the river from Cincinnati)
    Tractor
    Bobcat Toolcat 5600

Hi Brian...

Your argument is correct with regards to the oft confused measurement of degree of slope versus percent of slope. These numbers are often mistakenly used and quoted interchangeably, when in reality, as you correctly point out, they are vastly different.

I have a slope meter installed in my Toolcat which measures the angle of side slope. This meter maxes out at 25 degrees of side slope, and this is about the limit of my comfort level. I estimate max up/down slope I've tested with my machine as being 35-40 degrees.

Another aspect that I can't explain is that when operating on a side slope, for me it's more comfortable sitting on the downhill side of the cab than being on the high side...does anyone else experience this?

After operating on my hills for some time now, I've also discovered that the best method to navigate comfortably is to hit a slope on the diagonal.

Dean

Tractor
    JD 40

Another aspect that I can't explain is that when operating on a side slope, for me it's more comfortable sitting on the downhill side of the cab than being on the high side...does anyone else experience this?

Yes, CRJ, I too experience this phenomenon. I, however, must be your polar opposite, as I feel more comfortable on the UPHILL side of the cab. And no, I cannot explain why.

Tractor
    2005 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 Turbo 56hp, 2003 DR Field & Brush Mower 17hp, 1981 Cub Cadet 582 16hp

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a slope meter installed in my Toolcat which measures the angle of side slope. This meter maxes out at 25 degrees of side slope, and this is about the limit of my comfort level. I estimate max up/down slope I've tested with my machine as being 35-40 degrees.

After operating on my hills for some time now, I've also discovered that the best method to navigate comfortably is to hit a slope on the diagonal. Dean)</font>
    Fortunately most of my hills are tame enough so I don't have to test the limits of Toolcat safety or comfort. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I use a walk-behind brush mower and finish mower instead in a few questionable areas. And best method for me depends on what attachment is being used, slope length, how degree angles change on hill and available turning space. Use a slope angle tiltmeter AND your best judgement! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Rip
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota F-2880. PT-1845

The TC should be better than most CUTs and skid steers on all types of slopes but still not as good at a Power Trac in the extremes. I also have a slope meter on my PT-1845 with 12" wide foam-filled singles spaced for 4" wider over-all track width and frequently have gone into the 30 to 35 Degree (side hill) range although the pucker factor had already become well established.

The operator sits in the middle of a PT and especially with the rocks &amp; holes it does get hairy, but so far she has held her ground. For this capability alone I may have to hang on to the PT but the TC is calling louder and louder every day.

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

I am resurrecting this old thread, because the question of operating on steep slopes keeps coming up and there is good info in the first post.

I am more comfortable setting on the high side of the slope.

I set some crab steer to offset the mower to the right and the rear to the left.
    Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300017.jpg Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300020.jpg

Then I mow across the slope with the mower downslope and the rear of the Toolcat upslope.
    Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300007.jpg Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300009.jpg

This is supposed to be a 3:1 slope. View from the seat.
    Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300006.jpg Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300014.jpg

Straightened the rear wheels and mowed straight forward. Hung a chain from the rear work light bracket to show true straight up and down
    Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300027.jpg
    My Avatar, the TORO+Loader: Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

Compact Telehandler:
    V417 Versahander

Tractor
    John Deere/Massey Ferguson/Bobcat

Excellent idea on the crab steering. I so rarely use it(usually just to get out of a tight place).
    I will use this to get a little closer to the fence and where the edge drops off.

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

Quote Originally Posted by birddog0304 View Post
    Excellent idea on the crab steering. I so rarely use it(usually just to get out of a tight place).
    I will use this to get a little closer to the fence and where the edge drops off.
    Also along the edge of the woods to get the cab farther from the tree limbs.

I may be wrong but it looks less likely to rollover with the offset, compared to going straight.
    Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300024.jpg Slope Ability of the Bobcat Toolcat 5600-p8300027.jpg
    My Avatar, the TORO+Loader: Kwik-Way FEL and TORO Groundsmaster Put Together

Compact Telehandler:
    V417 Versahander

bcp
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Name:  336789d1379127776t-slope-ability-bobcat-toolcat-5600-p8300027.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  3.6 KB

You could mow a steeper bank if you would remove that heavy chain hanging from the low side light, and hang it from the high side light.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast