Toolcat for Mowing

/ Toolcat for Mowing #1  

dsb5610

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4720 Cab
Been reading thru all the posts on the various applications for the TC. Although it is probably a stretch ($$$) I keep thinking that a TC would be a great tool for me.

In addition to the various tasks I could use the TC for around the property, I need to mow about 30 acres of pasture once or twice a year and about 30 acres of CRP once a year. The CRP, consisting mostly of 1' to 2' tall grasses should be mowed 10-12". Basically it is mowed to control noxious weeds and trees from developing an size.

I read one thread that has a link to a mower that would operate up to 3' high but I don't imagine bouncing around with a 1000+lb mower suspended in the front would be a good long term solution. I currently use a JD 4010 ag tractor with a 7' Woods rotary mower on the 3-pt. That mower is suspended when mowing at the height but that tractor is built for it.

Any thoughts or experiences with my mowing requirements?

dsb

In reading the threads on mowers I don't see much discussion or info on mowing at this height.

/ Toolcat for Mowing #2  
dsb5610,
There are lots of options for you to consider for mowing with a Toolcat. I know CRJCaptain, odleefs, Gadgetnut and I use four different mower and rotary cutter attachments on the front lift arm. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Other options include Rear PTO pull mowers (even wide bat-wings) attached on the back of the Toolcat.

For your 30 acres of pasture, the 72" or 90" Bobcat Mower will do a great job cutting to a 5.5" height. This mower would not be suspended and in fact its attachment frame and 4-5 wheels allow the mower to oscillate independently of the Toolcat.

As for your CRP land where you'd be cutting 1' - 2' tall grass down, is that 10"-12" cut height a firm requirement? If you can cut it shorter the Bobcat Mower would do just fine.

It is true my Ammbusher rotary brushcutter is capable of cutting at that 10"-12" cut height suspended. But I typically cut a bit lower, often so my optional heavy-duty Ammbusher Front Wheel Assembly is touching the ground and the mower is not fully suspended. Perhaps you can find a rotary cutter that would offer a Front Wheel Assembly providing a bit more elevation than mine.

But for this application, I might also look at a pull mower to go on the back of a Toolcat equiped with the optional Rear PTO. To get the fields cut quickly, you can attach a wider bat-wing mower that meets your height requirements. You'll be cutting in a cab with HVAC, and yet still be able to take advantage of front-mounted attachments for your other Toolcat applications. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I bought both the Bobcat Mower and the Ammbusher brushcutter for the front. Good luck in figuring out what would be best for you, and keep sharing your ideas and comments! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toolcat for Mowing
Thanks for the info Brian. The county Soil and Water Conservation District highly recommends (requires) any mowing of CRP in the month of August and highly recommends (requires) the mowing to be to a minimum level of 12". They are more lenient on the mowing height than they are the timeframe but 5.5" would get there attention (bad thing).

I need to stop in to a dealer and take a closer look, also talk about the various options. As I recall the TC is only 60" wide which about the same as my HPX Gator yet they are very different units.

You mentioned the cab with HVAC. This is something that I am definitely interested in. As I said I can only mow CRP in the month of August which happens to be the same month that the International Bugfest is held right on my property on an annual basis. As luck would have it, the International Pollen Conference seems to be held the same time every year here as well. If anyone would like to witness it just stop by with your mower attached and I can point you in the right direction (just keep it a minimum of 12").

Anyway, I am going to plan a visit and look them over here sometime in the near future.

dsb

/ Toolcat for Mowing #4  
dsb5610,
LOL - Intl Bugfest and Pollen Conference etc... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif And yup, the Toolcat is a different animal than a std UV.

Note the Toolcat Rear PTO option has only been introduced within the past year and there may not be a lot of experience with it yet at every dealer. But a wide rear pull mower (not made by Bobcat) may be just what you need for your CRP areas.

And run it on the Toolcat if you don't want to buy a cabbed traditional tractor just for that August-only cutting task, and you have lots of other uses planned for the Toolcat and its front-mounted attachments during the rest of the year! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Toolcat for Mowing
Thanks Brian. I talked to the closest dealer yesterday. You are right about the rear PTO option.....he didn't think that was an option. Anyway, he has a 5600 turbo on the lot that we are going to look at and run around a bit. Need to make sure the better looking of the two of us is comfortable with it. Actually, she was the one that originally brought home a brochure on one suggesting that we look into it.

I was surprised that the turbo option was only $1500 more. I expected a lot more (I won't tell the dealer that). Anyway , we need to see what type of numbers he is talking before we can decide if we will Gatordone....hmmm, I won't be able to say that anymore.

dsb