How would the Toolcat handle one of these?

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #2  
dannyk,
I have not tested my Toolcat with a grapple rake of the style you linked from Quick Attach Attachments, Inc., so I won't answer your question. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But defintely go with 60-63" models and not wider ones, and carefully decide if that wide an opening is a good idea for Toolcat. That QAA one at 830#s is just a bit heavier than those like a different style root rake brush grapple I use on my Toolcat -- the log and brush materials you carry will have some weight too! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The style I use has bottom tines that are nearly flat to handle more high volume materials and a max. opening of 34-38 inches, rather than the QAA's 47.23" opening. I've found great success with a unit similar to the 708-pound, 60" Markham Welding Root Grapple Rake and the 770-pound, 63" Ammbusher Talon Grapple.

Consider both styles of root rake brush grapples, and go with the one you feel more comfortable with from both safety and utility perspectives. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these?
I thought the Quick Attach Claw was interesting because of its ability to rake by backdragging, as shown in one of the photos. In addition, it looked like it would be easier to pick up an object (rock, railroad tie) by coming down on it from above. Lots of times when I try to get an object in a bucket, I simply wind up rolling it along, which can be frustrating. Cost of the Claw is about $2700 including shipping (for me).

Those advantages may be offset by the smaller volume the claw can hold relative to the grapples you mention. The 63-inch Ammbusher Talon grapple appears to be unavailable at this time.

I'm also still considering the Bobcat Ultility Fork/Grapple. It only weighs 560 lb for the 66-inch unit and costs about $1000 less. Of course it has only a single cylinder and is light duty.

Most of my use will be moving freshly cut brush to a burn pile, but I know there will be the occasional heavier object to pick up and move. I can always crowbar a heavy object into a dirt bucket, I suppose. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Decisions, decisions!

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #4  
dannyk:
The Bobcat Utility Fork/Grapple is decidedly a light duty attachment. It will work great for brush and light, loose material, but rocks and construction-type debris will end up bending the tines (which are replacable for a reason). We are constantly either replacing or re-straightening the tines on our rental unit after abusive use. The upside of the utility grapple is that it is a fairly simple task to bolt-on to the utility forks, but will also bolt up to the Bobcat Utility Bucket if needed. That might solve your "rolling it along" problem on heavier objects.

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In addition, it looked like it would be easier to pick up an object (rock, railroad tie) by coming down on it from above. Lots of times when I try to get an object in a bucket, I simply wind up rolling it along... Those advantages may be offset by the smaller volume the claw can hold relative to the grapples you mention.

I'm also still considering the Bobcat Ultility Fork/Grapple. It only weighs 560 lb for the 66-inch unit and costs about $1000 less. Of course it has only a single cylinder and is light duty.

Most of my use will be moving freshly cut brush to a burn pile, but I know there will be the occasional heavier object to pick up and move. Decisions, decisions!)</font>
dannyk,
I'm able to pick up lots of objects from both the side AND the top with my style grapple, at least with the curl mechanism angles on my B-series Toolcat (those angles were reduced some on C-series, but other lifting/force improvements may offset that). The QAA Claw might be just fine, but I'm sure you can find a 60"-63" grapple of my style to consider, too.

BTW, are you getting close to your purchase decision for Toolcat itself?

BobcatBoy, other people have mentioned the light-duty nature of the Bobcat Utility Fork/Farm Grapple as well. But the alternative Bobcat Industrial Fork & Grapple is too heavy! And Bobcat only offers their new Root Grapple in wider sizes not appropriate for Toolcat.... That's why I bought a 63" root rake brush grapple from another manufacturer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #6  
I'm pretty new at this. So far I've used my 60" Anbo farm grapple for moving logs and piles of brush. I haven't tried to pick up a boulder yet, but I envision needing to do that, we'll see.

Anbo Grapple

Anyway, speaking of grapples, here's a funny story: for the last four months I've been putting up with a broken mailbox. The former owner cemented a huge mailbox about two thirds of the way into a concrete pier. The box door leaked and flew open, etc., and the mail's been getting wet in the rain. So anyway yesterday I buy a same size replacement mailbox, how hard can it be to remove an old mailbox cemented into a pier, anyway? Answer: pretty hard.

You guessed it. After struggling in leather gloves for forty-five minutes with a series of larger hammers, drills, crowbars, and Sawzalls, I said I need a bigger pair of pliars here and fired up the Big Boy. Instead of huge, inarticulate movements, like out in the field, this job required finesse unlike I had done before. I slowed down, and this was good practice for me. It worked perfectly. I lifted, crushed, vise-gripped and pulled that thing out of there with the Anbo grapple in about three minutes.

A heating contractor happened to arrive and pulled up in his truck at the crowning moment of my success; saw me attacking the mailbox with the Bobcat and kind of scratched his head: isn't that kind of a big tool for the job?! Well yes and no, but no matter, it worked perfectly. I look forward to receiving dry mail today. ToolCat is more useful than a pocket in a pair of pants!

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
BobcatBoy, other people have mentioned the light-duty nature of the Bobcat Utility Fork/Farm Grapple as well. But the alternative Bobcat Industrial Fork & Grapple is too heavy! And Bobcat only offers their new Root Grapple in wider sizes not appropriate for Toolcat.... That's why I bought a 63" root rake brush grapple from another manufacturer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

You don't have to 'splain why you purchased aftermarket to me /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
I am in full agreement that Bobcat should pick up a "tweener" grapple line to compliment their current offerings.

Now that it's been brought it up, I will be forwarding this thread to my attachment rep /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ How would the Toolcat handle one of these? #8  
Gadgetnut,
That's a great and gripping grapple story! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif My Toolcat's root rake brush grapple is used all time and throughout the year, too.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I am also looking at the Anbo grapple. They are supposed to call me today.

Am I getting closer to to purchasing the Toolcat? Well, I plan to be using my Bobcat 753 skidsteer through this summer for some heavier duty digging. I can also use the grapple with my 753. Then I will be interested in getting the Toolcat, and by then I will also know about the specs for the 4600, although what I've heard isn't encouraging (ROC, etc.)

By the way, I am posting a reply from Bobcat regarding use of the digger with the Toolcat on the digger thread in this forum.

Danny

Gadgetnut, can you give me a model number or other description of the Anbo grapple you purchased? What is its weight and space between the tines?