Bobcat Stump Grinder

/ Bobcat Stump Grinder #1  

Gadgetnut

Silver Member
Tractor
Walker Mower MD (Kubota,) BobCat ToolCat 5600 Turbo rev. C, John Deere tractor
Hello, everyone. Here's an early report on using the Bobcat Stump Grinder SG60 with ToolCat. Although I had never used one before, I imagined it would be very useful around here and last winter I purchased the stump grinder and it's been in the barn. I've had a local tree service out here for a week and it was an excellent opportunity to ask them help me learn how to use it. The stump grinder is not quite as heavy as it looks-- 980 pounds. It utilizes the high flow capability of the TC Turbo. The tree folks use a gas powered stump grinder in their business. They characterized this Bobcat grinder as three to four times more powerful than what they're using and many, many times faster. We ground down two 3 1/2 foot stumps in about 35 minutes. Just zip, zip, zip back and forth. The grinder articulates up and over and front to back and has an integrated brush guard. If you bite off too much, the hydraulic flow slows down and shuts off-- but no chatter or grinding. I know pictures are worth a thousand words; right now I'm busy splitting and moving all the wood they felled but next time I get the grinder out I'll take photos and post them here. Best from Gadgetnut

/ Bobcat Stump Grinder
Hello, everyone. Here's an early report on using the Bobcat Stump Grinder SG60 with ToolCat. Although I had never used one before, I imagined it would be very useful around here and last winter I purchased the stump grinder and it's been in the barn. I've had a local tree service out here for a week and it was an excellent opportunity to ask them help me learn how to use it. The stump grinder is not quite as heavy as it looks-- 980 pounds. It utilizes the high flow capability of the TC Turbo. The tree folks use a gas powered stump grinder in their business. They characterized this Bobcat grinder as three to four times more powerful than what they're using and many, many times faster. We ground down two 3 1/2 foot stumps in about 35 minutes. Just zip, zip, zip back and forth. The grinder articulates up and over and front to back and has an integrated brush guard. If you bite off too much, the hydraulic flow slows down and shuts off-- but no chatter or grinding. I know pictures are worth a thousand words; right now I'm busy splitting and moving all the wood they felled but next time I get the grinder out I'll take photos and post them here. Best from Gadgetnut

/ Bobcat Stump Grinder #3  
Gadgetnut, you scared me for a second with the 'high flow' part. Had to look up the stump grinders and make sure they have one for a standard flow unit and they do. Over the next couple of years I will have a few stumps I want to grind down. I plan on renting one for my limited use.

Do you bounce around much when you are grinding? How much vibration do you feel? I'm wondering if repeated use would be hard on the unit running it.

dsb

/ Bobcat Stump Grinder #4  
Gadgetnut, you scared me for a second with the 'high flow' part. Had to look up the stump grinders and make sure they have one for a standard flow unit and they do. Over the next couple of years I will have a few stumps I want to grind down. I plan on renting one for my limited use.

Do you bounce around much when you are grinding? How much vibration do you feel? I'm wondering if repeated use would be hard on the unit running it.

dsb