If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #21  
Hoaleguy,

If you are interested in Fecon style cutter heads, Gyrotrac has come out with a low-flow Toma-ax tree cutter head. It has a working width of 51", weighs only 885 lbs. and has a flow range of 17-23 gpm. Sure, it’s not a Fecon, but it might accomplish what you want with a Toolcat. Of course, proper shielding would have to be retro-fitted to the Toolcat if in fact it could even be used with a Toolcat.
Go to http://www.gyrotrac.net/skidsteer/

Loftness US Attachments should also be releasing a new, medium duty tree cutter called a Tree Hammer 360 soon. Again, I’m not sure if a Toolcat will handle it, but I am sure that it will be lighter than a Fecon. Check their site periodically to see if they post any specs. or photos.
Go to http://www.loftness.com/hammer.cfm?cat=

Eric V.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #22  
Eric V. - Many thanks for the links. Interesting choices. Skid-steers seem to be the vehicle of choice. Some of these mulching attachemtns get pricey. Thanks again.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #23  
What is the air pre-cleaner and why is it a must for mowing? fresh2ob

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #24  
fresh2ob,

The pre-cleaner kit for the Toolcat is a device that separates large dust particles/debris from the air (by centrifugal force) before it contacts the primary engine filter. In other words, it is a secondary means to filter air, and no, it has nothing to do with the a/c air filter.

I feel it is a must for mowing applications because mowing creates a high dust/debris environment and high dust environments will shorten an engines life span considerably.

The Toolcat pre-cleaner kit consists of an extension pipe that leads from the primary engine air filter to a clear, plastic bowl. The debris will collect in the bowl, so it needs to be changed often. On the Toolcat, it is mounted on the top right rear post of the cab. There is a photo of one mounted on a C-series machine at the link listed below (page 9, "18 mph transport speed" photo).

http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/pdf/toolcat.0606.pdf

You will have to look close at the photo to see it (look for the clear bowl). Nearly all the air cleaners that Bobcat uses are made by Donaldson Co. Inc. Hope all this helps.

Eric V.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #25  
Hey guys, I'm mowing about 10 acres and thanks to the A/C cab I can mow in the heat of the day when the grass is dry and conditions are dustier. Also, I like to keep the grass short, so I need to be mowing once a week. Should I be thinking about adding the costly pre-cleaner kit to my Toolcat?

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #26  
Rolando,

If you are mowing often in dry and dusty conditions, then I would add one for sure. Although the upfront cost is high, it will save you money in the long run. Just look at any heavy-duty machine (road graders, tractors, street sweepers, etc.) they all have one.

By the way, what series is your Toolcat and have you had any overheating issues, especially when mowing?

Eric V.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #27  
Hi Eric,
I have the C-Series Turbo with the High-Flow Hydraulics and no, I haven't had any overheating problems. In fact, I mow in the heat of the day, which here in north-central Florida means mid-90's right now. And even with the A/C going full blast the needle never gets much higher than about 1/3 of the way up. I know they improved the filter placement and function in the C's in response to the overheating in the previous models. Do you also have a C?

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #28  
Rolando,

Although I do not own one yet, I am considering to purchase two new fully loaded, c-series Toolcats (with mower and FC200 flail cutter) for commercial/industrial mowing applications as well as right-of-way maintenance and light brush/weed control. I am currently using Toro Groundsmaster mowers and tractor mounted flail cutters (I would like to replace both with Toolcats).

Because mowing can be particularly hot and dusty in deep south Texas, I was a little worried about overheating issues (as was the case with older a-series and b-series machines). I am glad to hear that your machine performs well in the heat!

Eric V.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...
I agree with Eric on this one- despite the high cost of the pre-cleaner kit, in the long run, it can only be a plus. It really doesn't take much to score a cylnder and damage an engine. Figuring a lifespan on a machine at over 10 years that comes out to be less than $70 a year. Cheap insurance for your machine.

The Toolcats have done very well with the municipalities who do right-of-way maintenance. The 4 wheel steering and the A/C cab have made them favorites. The excellent visibility and ride also make them popular. Face it, riding a tractor all day with no suspension and a high center of gravity make for a tiring day. The Toolcats are like driving a truck and are much more comfortable.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #30  
Eric,
Your lawncutters will be the envy of every neighborhood with two TCs running about! For cost consideration, check out http://www.rockhound.com/72F Mower.pdf
The price is a scant 5k+/- and this is cheap as you well know for a flail cutter!
Steve