If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #31  
steve,

Thanks for the link. The Rockhound flail cutter seems to be very rugged and simple in design. And you're right, its about half the price of the Bobcat flail cutter.

The only concern I have is it's ability to oscillate and follow the contour of the ground. I can't tell by the photo, but it does not appear to have a floatation linkage. Do you know?

Eric V.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #32  
Eric,
I am not certain as to whether it has flotation linkage, however, setting the front arm into float mode and possibly adding more wheels to the flail cutter may solve this dilemma and some bucks.
Steve

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #33  
I have purchased a series C Toolcat. The first one had a hydraulic filter plugged with copper and debris after only 50 hours. They took it back and gave me another new one. It was time for the 50 hour check up and this one has the same problem. The mechanic mentioned having another one at the shop with the same problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I use my unit for mowing CREP land. They dont seem to know what is causing this and it ends in catastrophic failure of the system. I am very concerned!! I had the overheating problem with the series B but that pales in comparison to this problem.

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #34  
fresh2ob,

That is bad news. Hopefully they figure out what is going on. How are they discovering the debris?. Mine is an 'A' model and it does not call for a hydraulic filter replacement until 500 hours. The 'C' may be more frequent but 50 hours seems awful short. Are you experiencing other symptoms? Just want to make sure I am not missing something on mine.

dsb

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #35  
bad news,
which filter - the main hydro?
ends in catastrophic failure- did you experience any noticable side effects???

thx
ts

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #36  
Whoa! That is bad news...I will have the shop look at mine when it is in for routine maintenance! What were the symptoms?
Good luck
Steve

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #37  
Thanks everyone for your support. The symptoms of the problem are a noticeable whining sound when mowing in reverse, like at the end of a row where you have to turn around, and then when you go into forward again, and some loss of power going uphill.
Then the hydraulic filter warning light came on, and the code said 2-17, which is a plugged hydraulic filter or overheated fluid. When the little filter inside the locked compartment is removed, particles of copper and iron debris can be seen in the fluid. That's when the mechanic says "this is bad news..." Our dealer is very frustrated as well. The service manager told us this morning that Bobcat manufacturing has discovered that one of three suppliers of copper sleeves or casings for the pistons in the drive train evidently did not provide parts with the correct specifications. On units manufactured with this defect, the pistons start creating debris immediately when the motor is running, thus explaining the early catastrophic failure we have experienced on two brand new units. (The first happened at 35 hours, the second at about 50.) Yes, we are concerned about other damage to the drive train that might not be detectable now, and we are debating what to do--accept the repaired unit, ask for more extended warranty at no cost to us, ask for another new unit, etc. In the meantime, they are giving us back the old non-turbo unit with the chronic overheating problem to use until something else can be worked out. What a mess!

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #38  
FRESH2OB,
What is the serial # of your unit, if you don't mind me asking, as my C version Toolcat was very early in the production cycle, and therefore, I am now quite worried, even though I have not had any issues nearly 1/4 as bad as you have experienced! P.S. I would opt for a new unit with a complimentary extended warranty, if you don't mind me adding my 2 cents...
Steve

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #39  
DEMAND A NEW UNIT. FOR WHAT THEY ARE CHARGING FOR THESE UNITS
YOU SHOULD FEEL ENTITLED TO A NEW UNIT. MY FAMILY MANUFACTURES HYDROLICALLY POWERED HEAVY ROAD DEMOLITION EQUIPMENT AND METAL IN THE SYSTEM IS A RECEIPT FOR FUTURE PROBLEMS. ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPTABLE. DO NOT GIVE IN TO BOBCAT.

I WONDER IF BOBCAT WILL LET OUT THE NUMBERS OF THE POTENTIALLY BAD UNITS???

THEODORE

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #40  
odleefs
The S/N is 311896. I will keep you up to date on what happens. I plan to ask for a new unit and extended warranty.
fresh2ob