If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #1  

UFM82

Bronze Member
I can give you all the info.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #2  
UFM82,

I have an 'A' Toolcat which uses the Kubota 2203 engine and is listed at 44hp. The 'B' Toolcat also uses the Kubota 2203 engine but is listed at 46hp. Other than the obvious 2hp, what is the difference between the two engines?

dsb

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #3  
Do you know anything about the smaller model that is rumored to be coming out? And maybe a price range?

Thanks

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here...
The original "A" series Toolcats used the Kubota 2203 ED engine which was rated at 44 net hp. The "B" series used the Kubota 2203 DI engine. The ED was not direct-injection as is the DI engine. The DI is also EPA Tier II compliant. The fuel delivery change made the engine cleaner burning while boosting usable horsepowe at the same time.

As for the second question, there was to be (and maybe still will be though I doubt it) a Toolcat 4600 machine out in '06. It's on hold the last time I spoke to anyone but there were 6 of them at the factory running around. They do NOT have a front boom. They do have an enclosed HVAC cab and a dump bed. Cost was projected to be in the mid-20's. I don't see a market for a machine like that though- I'd rather buy a beater 4X4 truck.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #5  
UFM82,

Is Bobcat working on an option that would allow the Toolcat to self-load the dump bed?

dsb

Negative on the self-loading. The boom would have to go over the cab and not only would it require a complete redesign of the boom, it wouldn't go over too well with the safety advocates either. I can just envision a guy dumping a 2,000 lb rock on his head...

The new boom on the C machines increases it's capabilities substantially, but self-loading will not be in the Toolcat's future.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #7  
UFM82,

Does the new C series boom allow for the back hoe, and some of the other attachments that were previously "not" allowed?

timm9

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #8  
I agree loading over the cab would create all kinds of safety issues including trying to load on a slope. One of the ideas brought up on TBN was a roll-off bed similar to what some garbage or salvage trucks use. That may have some potential.

dsb

Timm9- yes and no. The backhoe will most likely never be approved for the Toolcat as there is no place to install the mount hooks. The backhoe must be attached to the host machine with a minimum 3 attachment points. Safety is the main reason but durability plays a major factor. The torque loads imposed on the attachment and machine are substantial- simply hooking it to a Bob-Tach is not acceptable. Even two points of attachment won't work as it can still twist and cause damage. 3 points prevents any torsional movement. The front of the Toolcat has no place to attach a mounting kit, so I doubt you'll ever see a backhoe for it.

On the yes side though the C series machine has increased its versatility with the addition of the new boom. It is a two-beam boom unlike the older mono-section. It is stiffer, can handle heavier loads and has a completely redesigned linkage assembly to remedy the poor rollback forces it suffered from. Simply put, the older A and B models had a pretty weak 670 lbs of rollback for attachments, making items like pick-up sweepers, Brushcats and the like impossible. The new C series linkage provides 2,500 lbs of rollback force, eliminating all the restrictions placed on previous models. 36" Auger bits, 5B landscape rakes, 62" combo buckets and the Brushcat are all now approved on the Toolcat. The new geometry also assists in leveling the load as you raise the boom- the older booms would roll to 85° at 70 inches, effectively dumping the bucket back on the cab. The new boom only gives 30° at 70 inches, keeping the load in the bucket.

There's a few more tweaks on the C series that make it an even better machine. Lower sound levels, air intake pre-cleaners and a few other items add to the value of the machine. It has taken off quite well for a brand new idea, design and product.

UFM82

/ If you have Toolcat questions, ask them here... #10  
UFM82 said:
I can give you all the info.

UFM82

UFM82

Thanks for the info...you sound like you know your stuff. What's your background? Do you work for Bobcat?

Thanks again,

Dean

(owner of a 2003 model A Toolcat)