Digging with a Toolcat

/ Digging with a Toolcat #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
I was just wondering what experiences Toolcat people have had trying to remove sod or dig down into the soil using a bucket with a toothbar. I realize that the front suspension imposes limitations on this activity. For example, Bobcat does not recommend the "Digger" attachment for the Toolcat. But is the Toolcat capable of removing sod and digging down a few inches by driving forward until the bucket is full? Or would this put too much stress on the suspension?

I'm still debating a Toolcat purchase later this year to replace my Bobcat 753 skidsteer. I will try to get the heavier digging done before I make the switch.

Thanks for your replies!

Danny

/ Digging with a Toolcat #2  
Danny,

I have only dug with the Toolcat using a standard bucket. I've cleared and leveled a 20' diameter area for a swimming pool, cut sod off for mulch beds with new trees, did some reshaping of unlevel areas for reseeding and dug a hole in a dried up pond to recover dirt for landscaping and filling in holes. I didn't notice the suspension negatively affecting the digging performance. I've only occasionally dug with skid steers so it may not be a good comparison but I am very satisfied with the Toolcat's digging ability.

If I were in a construction business like a cement contractor I would take a skid steer given it's ability to move forward and backward rapidly to re-adjust your position. The Toolcat operates more like a rubber-tired endloader when it comes to digging and loading.

dsb

/ Digging with a Toolcat #3  
While I haven't done much digging with the bucket, I've done quite a lot of digging into tree roots to weaken the trees enought to push them over. I use the Markham Welding Grubber/Stump Bucket for this purpose and it has worked real well concentrating the Toolcat's digging power where I needed it. But I'm thinking I need to get a weight box for the truck bed when doing this kind of digging because the FEL will pick up the rear end of the Toolcat.

Here's a photo of my Grubber Bucket and an uprooted tree:

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_00831.jpg
    IMG_00831.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 446
   / Digging with a Toolcat #4  
This is probably the biggest tree I've taken down. It's not real big, maybe 8 or 10 inches. I think for much bigger than that you need a bigger machine if you want to take the root ball out. I don't have a hydraulic root grapple yet, so I haven't tried ripping up the roots with that before felling the tree. Might be able to take down bigger stuff that way. Maybe others that have grapples can speak to this.

Attachments

• IMG_00871.jpg
    IMG_00871.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 421
   / Digging with a Toolcat
Thanks, guys. I'm impressed with the tree removals! I have a Kasco Rooter that is similar to the Markham bucket you show. I also have a claw grapple from Quick Attach. After seeing these pictures, I'm thinking that my debate between the Kubota L39 Tractor/Loader and the Toolcat may be over. I know that the L39 will be a stronger digger, but the Toolcat has definite size/manuverability advantages and will be more useful in winter and for field mowing.

Thanks again,
Danny

/ Digging with a Toolcat #6  
Danny,

I want to make sure I don't leave you with a misconception. Like you said in your last post, the L-39 is a much stronger machine, but it's also a much heavier machine with a backhoe in the back for counter balance, which means that all that FEL power can get transferred to the job where the Toolcat might up-end. While I was able to get the trees out that I needed, it took a lot of effort and much more time than it would have taken on the Kubota. I see from your profile that you also have a 753 Bobcat. I'm not familiar with the other Bobcats, but maybe that could supplement your Toolcat if you had a tougher job that needed more loader power.

I know that there are other considerations like your other needs and the other equipment that you have, it just kind of concerned me that you should be deciding between a Toolcat and an L-39 because to me they seem like totally different classes of equipment. A TBN'er here in the Gainesville area, Skypup, has an L-39 and the stuff that he has done with it I would never even dream of trying with my Toolcat.

Just my two cents worth.

/ Digging with a Toolcat
Thanks, Rolando. I appreciate the response. I think I've decided the Toolcat will be a more versatile machine for my needs. I plan to sell or trade in the Bobcat 753 for the Toolcat and plan to rent a compact excavator if I need one for serious digging.

As I get older and become more physically challenged, I think that features such as the Toolcat cab, easier entry, and easier implement hookup will be easier to deal with than a tractor. And although I like my 753 (love the cab in winter!), it's too hard on the turf for tree thinning projects near the house. I had purchased the 753 mainly for trail work in the woods, and I'm finishing up that phase of my work now. It does have incredible traction with the steel tracks.

With the Toolcat, I should still be able to do minor digging and earth moving projects as well as have more versatility and ease of use around buildings. I hope I'm right. Any old farts out there with Toolcat experience? How easy is the machine to service?

Danny

/ Digging with a Toolcat #8  
Danny,
I have a Toolcat and 60" bucket sans toothbar and it digs just fine. I can remove sod without a problem and I think that the Toolcats FEL goes well under their stated digging depth. I also move buckets of gravel out of my small quarry without delay. Anytime traction is lost I just curl and proceed or back up and have another go at it with more steam. I thought I would have difficulty without a toothbar, but I do just fine in my stone laden PA soils!
Steve