Hitch-mounted weight box?

/ Hitch-mounted weight box? #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
I've been thinking that I need more counterweight on my Toolcat when working with my grubber bucket and I figured I would get the most bang for the buck (lever arm) by putting the weights in a box mounted on the receiver hitch.

All I've been able to find are boxes for 3-point hitches. Does anybody know of a weight box for the receiver hitch?

/ Hitch-mounted weight box? #2  
Rolando,

I am interested in this too. I have a carryall that I use with my SUV that is rated for 500lbs. I've thought about strapping a 65gal plastic leg tank to it and adding water for ballast.

A couple of weekends ago I loaded round hay bales on a trailer for the neighbor. I opted to put the tank in the dump bed and fill it with water. I was able to load the bales ok but had the feeling I was still light on the rear.

dsb

/ Hitch-mounted weight box?
Hey ds,
I also have a cargo carrier for my SUV that I was thinking of using, but mine is only rated for 200lb. I may get a carryall like yours if I don't find out about anything else. Looks like you can get one for about $150, including shipping. Which carryall did you get?

/ Hitch-mounted weight box? #4  
Rolando,

Mine is manufactured by Larin. As I recall the 500lb model is pretty inexpensive, around $80. Not the best built model I've seen but functional. I got mine at a Farm & Fleet store (only in the midwest).

dsb

/ Hitch-mounted weight box? #5  
The tongue-weight rating of the hitch itself might only be around 500 lbs (typical for class-III).

On a tractor with a 3-pt, the lift arms lifts the weight box off the ground when you are installing it. How do you plan to lift the 500 lbs onto the hitch?

You might want to instead look into making a bracket to hang suitcase weights on. Then you can install and remove the weight in small increments of 40 to 100 lbs at a time.

It might be easier to just fill the box with something heavier. Dirt, concrete, or rock is about 2 to 3x denser than water.

- Rick