Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #1  

odleefs

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Bobcat/Toolcat 5600T C, 2000 Yamaha Grizzly
A Toolcat graced the cover in the September 2006 issue of Product design & Development. (PDD )
In summary, it stated that more people are asking their equipment to do more work and how companies are responding both in terms of what they bring to market and their suppliers of parts.
An interesting read, but a trend that the compact tractor market has seen for some time. Maybe the current trend is swinging into the construction equipment segment - I have seen many compact excavators and several skidsteers being shipped in just the last month.
Steve

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #2  
Apparently skid steers are the latest craze amongst homeowners. Powerful little swiss army knives. Too bad they tear up sod and tip so easily.

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #3  
   / Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news
dannyk said:
Yeah, but look at this page on the Mustang ML28:

Mustang Manufacturing Company, Inc. - All Wheel Steer: Model ML28

Gehl has a similar unit, the AWS 280. Now, admittedly they are too expensive for the average homeowner, but I suspect Bobcat will soon have some competition for the Toolcat. The compact wheel loader market is changing rapidly.

Danny

These Mustangs are totally different than the Toolcats...not a two seater, no dump bed,<14 gpm flow, and over 7000 lbs. The Gehl has flow equal to the Toolcat, but still tips the scales at ~1.5x the weight of the Toolcat (>7000lbs.) and still has no dump bed. Their application is therefore limited compared to the Toolcat. I agree that there will soon be competition to the Toolcats, but no company has yet responded.
adequately.
Steve

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #5  
Steve,

You are correct about the differences between the Toolcat and the Mustang/Gehl units. My points are that 1) Small wheel loaders with greater flexibility are coming to market, and 2) the differences between these wheel loaders and the Toolcat are not necessarily disadvantages to prospective Toolcat buyers. For example, as a prospective Toolcat buyer, I myself, would welcome greater loader capacity, and I don't need seating for two. And the hydraulic flow on the wheel loaders is enough to operate a snowblower and grapple, which would be my major use of auxillary hydraulics. I WOULD like to see a lighter and more compact unit, and here is where the Toolcat is currently in a class of its own.

Danny

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #6  
I was also going to mention the ability of the Toolcat vs. the wheel loaders to navigate rough terrain. This is where the Toolcat has me spooked. I'm not sure the front suspension and small tires on the Toolcat provide enough oscillation to use the machine on rough ground. All the ads show it on golf courses or park-like terrain. I think that the compact wheel loaders surpass the Toolcat in their ability to work on rough terrain, and this application is critical to some folks, who might otherwise choose the Toolcat.

Danny

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #7  
dannyk said:
I was also going to mention the ability of the Toolcat vs. the wheel loaders to navigate rough terrain. This is where the Toolcat has me spooked. I'm not sure the front suspension and small tires on the Toolcat provide enough oscillation to use the machine on rough ground. All the ads show it on golf courses or park-like terrain. I think that the compact wheel loaders surpass the Toolcat in their ability to work on rough terrain, and this application is critical to some folks, who might otherwise choose the Toolcat.

Danny

Actually, I don't think either the Toolcat or the wheel loaders are meant for rough terrain. Just look at the size of the wheels compared to the machine's weight. Their tires are not that much bigger than on a 500 pound ATV but the machines weight quite a bit more. The compact wheel loaders are also pretty tippy. I think both are designed for pavement and relatively smooth pasture like land. That seems logical if you consider the designs were optomized for grounds maintenance (Toolcat) and construction (compact loaders) not forestry or agricultural use.

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #8  
Well, rough terrain is a relative term, but I suspect that with 18-inch tires and axle oscillation of 14-18 degrees, the wheel loaders will go places the Toolcat won't. I've been wrong before!

In any case, none of these machines fit my dream machine specs. I'm looking for a small loader that will use skid steer attachments, run a snowblower, and be able to handle some somewhat unrefined trails through the woods. Loader capacity should be at least 1500 lbs. Tractors with this loader capacity are too large for my tight spots. The Toolcat comes close. Any other ideas?

Danny

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #9  
How about a PowerTrac? The 425 and larger versions should be able to handle your needs. I am not certain they make a snow blower but it would not be hard to adapt one unless you are looking for a very high output blower.

/ Toolcat and compact construct equip inn the news #10  
I'm not sure what is considered 'compact' as far as rubber tired endloaders go. The smallest one I have run is a JD444 (85hp?). It is far more capable for loading corn silage, feeding round bales and loading manure than a Toolcat. However, I would not take it places I take the Toolcat. Maybe the 'compact' ones have a lower center of gravity.

I admittingly don't know anything about the newer small endloaders but the ones I've run control the engine RPM and ground speed with the same foot pedal. The Toolcat is similar to a skidsteer in that you set your throttle position then use a seperate control for ground speed. This allows you to have maximum GPM from the hydraulics independent of the ground speed.

dsb