Anybody look at their quick attach plate?

/ Anybody look at their quick attach plate? #1  

timm9

Gold Member
Tractor
Toolcat(s) 5600B-Turbo(s)
I was supposed to pick up one of my Toolcats last Weds after the water in fusebox, possible animal "wiring" problem and the technician called saying that they noticed my "plate" was bent and also had cracks that needed to be welded. The bend is symetrical and concave. After much discussion about what the unit is/has been used for, which is only snow with a Bobcat blower and bucket, they are trying to get corporate to honor it as a warranty item. The technician also asked if my newer unit (old one has 350+- hrs, newer unit has 230+- hrs) has a bent plate also. I got off the phone, pulled off the blower, and discovered that the plate on the newer unit is bent also. When holding a straight egde against the plate, the bend/bow is approximately 3/8". Initially I had told the techician that I assumed they were designed that way and that the unit had just been in their shop for a service and had not been used since it's return. The technician said they are not designed that wya, and after seeing mine he looked at their rental fleet (skids) which received alot of use/abuse and they are perfectly straight. Please let me know if you have a bent plate as well, and if you do, what attachments you have been using. The plate alone is $900.00+ not counting labor.

Tim

/ Anybody look at their quick attach plate? #2  
Tim,

You are holding the straight edge from top to bottom, correct? Are you seeing the bend just on the outer edges or is the middle concave as well?

I am in Toronto this week but will check mine when I get back. I would think of all the attachments I use, the 72" finish style mower would put the most stress on the plate. The mower extends out quite a bit further than the blower and being used in pastures/fields gets bounced around quite a bit.

dsb

/ Anybody look at their quick attach plate?
dsb,

Sorry. I should have done a better job with the description. I was holding the straight edge horizontally, from left to right. The concave bend would be if you were standing in front of the unit facing the plate.

Tim

Update: Not only is the plate on the older unit bent, it also has cracks in the plate as well. I did hear back from the dealer and the person incharge of "warranty decisions" is saying thay will not cover it. When you look at your plate make sure you use a straight edge, or 4 foot level. If you do see it's bent, look closely for cracks near the welds. Please let me know what you find. Thanks!

Tim

/ Anybody look at their quick attach plate? #5  
Tim,

Came home early from Toronto. We are expecting up to 12" of snow with some wind so I put the blower on the Toolcat. I used a 4' level to check the plate and mine is very straight. If anything there may be a slight convex towards the bottom but the top is absolutely flat.

My plate appears to have substantial bracing. Are the cracks at the welds or possibly the curved portion at the top? Can you post a picture?

dsb

dsb,

The bend or "bow" in the plate is not from top to bottom. It is horizontal from side to side. If you are standing in front of the Toolcat looking towards the windshield, the outside corners of the plate are bent outward away from the Toolcat. As you are standing in front of the unit, looking at the windshield, the bent or bowed is towards you.

As for the welds, I'm attaching a picture of the re-welds. They are along both sides (pictures is only on one side) and I would estimate that the re-welds are a total of approx 2 feet long. I did not have time this morning to detach the blower and get a picture of the bend in the plate. I will try and do that in the next day or so.

tim

Attachments

• PICT0515.JPG
    PICT0515.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 240
   / Anybody look at their quick attach plate? #7  
Tim,

I wasn't clear on what I measured. I put a 4' level across (horizontal) the top portion of the plate and there was no gap. Next, I moved the level to the bottom of the plate (still horizontal) and that is where there is a slight convex, i.e. gap toward the outside.

I was expecting your picture to show the cracking around the outside bracing but yours were in the center area. I've looked mine over and don't see any cracks.

dsb

dsb,

The tech tried to remove the plate to straighten and weld it but the center pins were bent as well. After this winter I guess I will have to replace the plate and pins. I suspect I will have to take a torch to the pins to get them off. The dealer (and myself) are at a loss to determine what caused the plate to bend. I have only had the blowers and a bucket on both units. The newer one has only had the bucket on a handfull of times. That unit only has 230+- hours on it.

Tim