Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat?

/ Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat? #1  

k6dyc

Bronze Member
Tractor
2006 Toolcat 5600 C
I've been doing a lot of snow clearing in the past month, and today I ordered a set f chains to increase my traction. I don't have any paved surfaces anywhere on the property so I'm not worried about damage. ;) I have found that once the snow is compacted and the top 6"-12" is plowed away, there isn't a problem, but I often get the wheels spinning when going up the hill to my barn, especially when the temps get up above 20-25 and the top layers start to melt a bit.

What has been the experience of others with chains? What can I expect? I hope they will also come in handy during our 'mud season' when the snow melts and everything is muddy for a month.

/ Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat? #2  
First of all, chains will definately help a lot..... rear at least and all four if extreme conditions.

Are you running with any ballast weight in the box? I would start with about 350 lbs and not hesitate to go up from there (500 plus).

Also, the stock TC tires (like most skid steer tires) are less than ideal for snow traction, so a set of truck rims and aggressive snow tires would also be another consideration for those who want to avoid chains.

Also if doing mostly dirt/gravel drives/roads I REALLY like the rubber edge I put on my plow a number of years ago. I now plow 98% snow instead of 75% snow/25% dirt/rgravel like before, especially in early/late season with non-frozen ground where the skid shoes would just dig furrows rather than keep the blade up off the surface.

/ Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat? #3  
Rip,

Do you have any posts of that rubber edge? As I recall you run a Power Trac which would be similar to the Toolcat. Is that what you use the blade and rubber edge on? I believe Dylan has a poly edge which would be more rigid than a rubber one. Thinking the rubber one would be better suited for gravel.

k6dyc,

I been pushing snow around quite a bit with the bucket. I find that once I have momentum it's pretty tough to stop it. The blower on the other hand, I have to ease into 2-3' banks and that is where I lose traction. I'm running industrials.

dsb

/ Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat?
Rip, I did put them on all four corners and it is better. I think I'll drop some weight in the box as well; don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!

/ Anyone using tire chains on their Toolcat? #5  
You can get the rubber or the poly edges at a Bobcat dealer. Inquire at the Parts counter. 48", 60", 72", 80", 84", 96" edges should be available. Expect a price of $350-$400. The rubber edges are great for paver drives and walks and the poly edges are perfect for patterned concrete.