Too cold to snow?

/ Too cold to snow? #1  

dsb5610

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere 4720 Cab
I've heard this from time to time. Well, it's -3 degrees this morning here in Northern Illinois and we have 1" of new snow on the ground with up to 5" forecasted. Luckily the winds have calmed down so 5" won't be a big problem. Will need to warm up some before I get the Toolcat out. Doesn't look like that will happen until the end of the weekend.

I ran the Toolcat a few days ago. Needed to push the drifting snow back. Was 12 degrees or so when I went out but when I got back in I checked and it was already below zero. Toolcat worked like a charm after it warmed up. Anyone else moving snow? How cold does it have to be before you don't run it?

dsb

/ Too cold to snow? #2  
I had to go out this morning and move snow at the end of our drive and in front of the mailbox so our mail could be delivered today (it drifts really bad in that area and the mail lady couldn't deliver yesterday).
When I went out this morning we where at -6.

/ Too cold to snow? #3  
Hmmnnn well it is 70 outside right now I was kinda thinking about taking the cover off of the pool.

/ Too cold to snow? #4  
It wasn't too cold to snow here. High temp for yesterday was about 12 deg. F. Wind chill factor made it feel like 10 below. And since yesterday the local weather reported we recieved about 28" of the white stuff. (lake effect off the east end of Lake Ontario) Started at 5 AM this morning clearing snow with the truck plow, then shoveled the roof then used the tractor loader and blower to move back some snow and clean up the rough edges. Dug out the trailer and loaded up the tractor then took off for the sons house to do the same thing. Just got in at 4PM. It's going to be an early night tonight. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• 100_0700 (Small).JPG
    100_0700 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_0701 (Small).JPG
    100_0701 (Small).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 100_0702 (Small).JPG
    100_0702 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_0703 (Small).JPG
    100_0703 (Small).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 211
   / Too cold to snow?
I'd say we ended up getting 5-6". I can't imagine 28". Really fluffy when it's this cold. I did fire up the Toolcat. Didn't want to go on the first try with the glow plugs but it fired the second time although it chugged a bit. I guess I need to install a block heater in it. Everything around here with a diesel has one.

Sure is nice pushing snow with a heated cab. I just used the bucket which makes for nice sidewalls. A little wind and we will have some nice drifts. Then back to the blower.

When it's this cold the hydrostatic drive doesn't seem affected but the steering and loader are stiff until I run it a while. Even after sitting running for 20 min.

dsb

/ Too cold to snow? #6  
keep the tc in a garage at 40 degrees

run it 5 minutes outside to let temp run into green range

ran it the last 2 days in temps down to -17 with no problems at all. hydraulic fluid temps stayed in the mid green. heater kept the cab warm.

i continue to be amazed at the ability of the 84inch broom for snow removal.

/ Too cold to snow? #8  
My Polaris Ranger has never gotten stuck even when feeding the horses in the deepest pasture snow here (probably 2' actual depth). However, it couldn't get through the 4' drifts on the driveway last year until I plowed a bit with the FEL on the old JD CUT.

This year I guess the wife felt sorry for me so she got me the Toolcat I've been drooling over. I like using the Toolcat so much better! Since I put on the chains it does all the work in the snow. We had overnight temps for several weeks last month in the -20 range and the Toolcat started right up after 39 seconds of glow plug action. But like dsb said, the sterring and loader are really stiff, even after letting the engine idle for 20 minutes to heat the cab ;). I have to run the loader arm and drive a bit to loosen them up.

As far as being too cold to snow, we don't beleive in that here, it routinely snows at below zero temps. :eek:

/ Too cold to snow? #9  
Make sure your wife sees my picture. Maybe she'll feel sorry for me too.

jmf

/ Too cold to snow? #10  
Letting the engine idle doesn't do much for the hydraulic system. The piston pumps only move fluid when you're using them. At idle sitting still, oil doesn't move. You need to utilize the hydraulics for them to warm up properly.

I keep seeing this "Ranger" reference. If it weren't such a mismatch I might actually pay attention.