TC Direction

/ TC Direction #1  

ssr

We just finsihed recieving winter here in Tahoe in just one week. I have Holder 9700 with pronovost, trackless MT5 with sno-quip blower and TC "C" with SB200.

Each machine has has pro's and con's. The short answer is my operators and myself prefer TC. However, I cannot make the switch 'till IR makes two major improvements - more horsepower and PTO w/ 3 pt.

A new Holder or trackless will set you back 80K min + 20K for blowers. Next try to find service or parts during a blizzard.... Finally the SB200 just doesn't cut 3+' at lake level and 5-7' just 700-1100' feet higher.

I am working with a manufactuer to improve the blower (sim. to zaugg) with hydraulic power instead of PTO. We'll see how this works in late March to mid-april.

Will IR market commercial users with more HP (75) at a minimum and or PTO w/ 3 pt hook-up?

Waiting to make a major equipment change in Tahoe,

SSR

/ TC Direction #2  
Does your 5600C have hi-flow? As I recall the SB240 is the hi-flow version. I wonder how much of a difference that would be over the SB200.

dsb

/ TC Direction #3  
i have the 240 72 with high flow (c)

it does fine with dry or medium denisty snow but is quite a bit slower than a plow. i just got done blowing 5 inches on a asphault driveway and top speed was 5 mph on a level straight portion. with 8-10 inches that drops to 2-3 mph which is pretty slow. hp limits it for me - i would love to have an extra 10-20 hp going to the aux hydraulics. the blower still saves time over the truck/plow as it trumps the truck/plow around buildings/doors/turn abouts. but, that has more to do with the tc turning ability and visibilty vs a truck. it also saves my lawn from the plow and gravel pushed by the plow. the tc hp limits my blower. i was hoping the new d would have a higher output engine.

ts

/ TC Direction #4  
ssr

I did see a prototype D series with 3 point and rear pto 1 month ago. IMHO, both needed improvements. Rear pto had 23.5 hp-too little. Lift capacity is way too low. Who knows if it will ever come to market. D series will only be available with 56hp turbo. Is yours the 56hp turbo or 44-46hp model? For the size of machine, 56hp is probably about right. My bobcat 873 has 70 hp and is much heavier machine and more lift (2500 lbs)
Your asking for a mega TC model. Now you getting toward the small articulated loaders in size and power.

/ TC Direction #5  
i agree that the frame/wt of the current tc likely limits lifting capability/engine hp needs. what i would like is more flow/torque via the aux hydraulics - the displacement of my turbo kubota could be increased and it would be very easy to engineer to allow more or higher pressure flow to the aux hydraulic circuit. i know hp/flow is limiting my blower because when i go up my not that steep hill i need to slow down to keep my rpms high enough for the blower to operate well (above 2500). going down hill i can go much faster. i am sure that with a higher spec skid steer the blower could easily handle a faster speed. even down hill the blower easily keeps up before i go faster than the tc can handle (rpm limited). i never end up pushing snow. they could still limit the power to the front boom to current levels. that is the beauty of hydraulics - everything can be limited by motor/hydraulic design. i have a suspicious feeling that the high flow brushcat will also be limited by the aux flow vs specs of the mower. also, under 30hp via hydraulics to a pto is going to be pretty limiting.

my 2 cents worth
ts

/ TC Direction
Well it nice to know that others would like to see more HP or flow for more efficient uses. 30 HP PTO is useless. TC can compete with Holder & trackless if it's beefed up! Corporate needs to get the message. Tahoe has over 140 Holder and 40 trackless units running around. Pretty good market share to move into....

If TC had 70HP maybe I could switch from Holder tractors (new=90k). Snow blower and small articulated dealer is getting closer to test a zaugg type blower (limited to 60" width for power and weight) that is hydro power for TC. Keeping my fingers crossed it won't be too underpowered....

BTW - I'm running 56hp, high flow, road kit etc. My dealer does not recc. SB240 as they feel it will be underpowered. I may be selling the TC and staying with Holder :( My clients prefer the "cute" TC in their drive much more than mean looking Holder with zaugg blowers.....

/ TC Direction #7  
ssr said:
the SB200 just doesn't cut 3+' at lake level and 5-7' just 700-1100' feet higher.

SSR

Are you saying the SB200 will not handle 3 feet of snow and you need it to handle 7 feet? And what improvements are seeking regarding "(sim. to zaugg)?"

jmf

/ TC Direction
My TC with SB200 is not effecient to do any of this, but it will with enough time. The driveway with the Holder tractor would be its best shot, but the berm was 4'. I spent 12 minutes clearing the berm and driveway (3 car garage with room to park at least 4-5 cars abroad outside and 80' long.) to my insane perfections. One of my drivers would have been out of there in 7 min.... No berm to punch through - make it 4-5 min.

The TC is being picked up today for final fittment to add a blower exactly like the yellow machine, but hydro powered. The yellow machine has 101HP and tones of torque. The Holder has 75HP and is still very efficient. Will TC have enough power? Probably not, but it just needs to be improved in both size and effciency abit more for me to keep it.

Tough move is that when smaller amounts of snow fall the TC is close to even ground in speed of clearing driveways. That makes the cost savings very worth while. When the big storms arrive I will have to park TC and finish with holder. TC sitting idle doesn't pay the bills!

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 480
   / TC Direction #9  
What is the yellow machine? It will be interesting to hear if a different blower makes the TC worthy. The D-Series has a new horsepower management system that uses a throttle sensor to determine the best engine RPM to manage power output, and also true cruise control that monitors ground speed instead of system pressure at the drive motors.

I see you have chains on the Holder. Do you ever have any problems with blacktop marking?

jmf

/ TC Direction
Chains stay on the Holder all-year. They're just too heavy and cumbersome once on. Same goes for the wheel weights. (yes I have to a jack or ramp when placing the wheels on.) Using two link spacing really helps reduce chain marks. Hardfacing the chains will extend the life, but is time consuming. They will leave chain marks on newly sealed surfaces, but it's only superficial.

The TC is running LT tires that are sipped (sp?) and studded without problem. For counter weight on all machines I purchased large steel beam and welded one end shut. Next Les Schwab Tires GAVE me 500# in used lead. Fire up the propane torch and melt as much as possible. Button up the other end and tack on a lifting point. About 600-700# in bed of TC and LT tires gets me up steep drives.

The yellow machine is a Trackless MT V.