Toro Reelmaster 216

/ Toro Reelmaster 216 #1  

climbtoo

Tractor
Formerly owned Yanmar 2000BD, Now Kubota 3710
Just purchased (at auction) a Toro Reelmaster 216 from State Surplus. It belonged to a Community College that used it to mow a soccer field. It has 3 reels and mows about a 7' swath. The reels 'float' back to front and ride on two rollers - which can only be set up to cut up to 1 5/8 inches high. I'd like to change it so I can cut the regular grass in my yard and around the farm @ about 2 1/5 to 3 inches. Question 1. If I get the cut height changed, will it cut the rye/fescue grass. Question 2. What's the best way to get the reels to sit higher?

/ Toro Reelmaster 216 #2  
Reel mowers are most effective for cutting grass short. If properly sharpened and set the cut is excellent. Sports fields golf courses are areas where they are in there element. The 2 to 3 inches the quality of cut is diminished.

I am not certain how the height is adjusted on the Toro. The other thing with reel mowers is keeping the blades sharp. Its tricky.

/ Toro Reelmaster 216 #3  
Isn't the rear roller of each unit adjustable up and down? Seems like that would give you the height adjustment that you need.

Tom

/ Toro Reelmaster 216
Thanks Tom,
Both the front and rear rollers adjust but max height on this unit is under 2".

/ Toro Reelmaster 216 #5  
OK, I get it now. It seems to me you are going to have to weld extensions on the top of each roller bracket and drill another hole there. Maybe both front and back rollers? Dunno.

In my youth I spent many hours in the seat of a Toro 70 Professional, mowing tees, and fringes around greens. It was probably the 216's granddaddy, and had no rollers at all. Each of the three mowing units rode on a smoothly curved skid plate, and you could adjust the mowing height in about ten seconds by pulling one hairpin clip, moving the single support rod to a new hole and reclipping it. It was a pretty simple machine, and we used it for years, even after it took my dad's finger off at the first joint. :eek::(

We also had a Toro Triplex for mowing greens, but I'm digressing way off the topic now.

Good luck with your mower. I'd like to have one myself.

Tom

P.S. I wouldn't expect the quality of cut to suffer at all, just because the reel and bedknife are a bit higher above the ground. I've pulled reel-type gang mowers at both low and quite high settings with good results.

/ Toro Reelmaster 216
Thanks again Tom,
I was able to wire up the reel housing to get the bedknives up to about 2.5 inches - and they are riding just on the rear roller so the grass is not getting pushed down in front of the reels. It's cuttting ok and think it will do a nice job if I can get everything sharp. Just might work out. If not, there's always e-bay.

/ Toro Reelmaster 216 #7  
TMcD_in_MI said:
P.S. I wouldn't expect the quality of cut to suffer at all, just because the reel and bedknife are a bit higher above the ground. I've pulled reel-type gang mowers at both low and quite high settings with good results.

I stand corrected.