Toro Z 255E clutch problem

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem #1  

bob_wood

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 4610, kubota 4200, JD 455, Toro 256E zero turn mower, Case 135 excavator, hydraulic dumpcart
I have a Toro Zero turn mower ( Z 255E ) with about 600 hrs on it. Lately I have been having trouble starting the mower deck. Sometimes when I pull the switch button to start the deck all I get is a " hissing " sound and the deck doesn't engage. After a few more tries the deck Will start. Anyone familiar with this problem ? Im wondering if maybe the clutch is starting to go or a selinoid ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem #2  
One way to determine if its your clutch is to check the resistance with a multimeter. If its like my Toro walk behind it should have approx 3 ohms of resistance. (You can check your owners manual for the correct rating) If its significantly lower or significantly higher then its the coils in the clutch.

Else it could also be one of the safety switches, you can check each one by simply bypassing them (temporarily) one at a time to see if it comes on.

Hope that helps.

Jim

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem
Lil_FarmerJim said:
One way to determine if its your clutch is to check the resistance with a multimeter. If its like my Toro walk behind it should have approx 3 ohms of resistance. (You can check your owners manual for the correct rating) If its significantly lower or significantly higher then its the coils in the clutch.

Else it could also be one of the safety switches, you can check each one by simply bypassing them (temporarily) one at a time to see if it comes on.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim . I do have a meter and I'll do some checking. The mower deck works properly Most of the time, just once in a while it will not start.

bob

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem #4  
Sorry to say, your clutch is prolly going bad, BUT- you can order a new one (which I would do) and save the old one because it can be taken apart and shimmed. The magnets inside have worn apart and should be planed smooth- shimmed (thinckness of a few sheets of paper) and placed back together.
I used to have a lawn care business and the guys could fry a clutch (about $250) in one season X 2 "Z" mowers- we learned how to rebuild them quickly!

Good Luck!!

deereguy said:
Sorry to say, your clutch is prolly going bad, BUT- you can order a new one (which I would do) and save the old one because it can be taken apart and shimmed. The magnets inside have worn apart and should be planed smooth- shimmed (thinckness of a few sheets of paper) and placed back together.
I used to have a lawn care business and the guys could fry a clutch (about $250) in one season X 2 "Z" mowers- we learned how to rebuild them quickly!

Good Luck!!

Thanks Deereguy

Do clutches usually die a slow death or go gradually ? My mower is starting to get sum age and hrs on it. It will probably start "costing" me .... Its been a great mower tho Almost maintenance free up until now but I do keep up with the routine maintenance

Bob

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem #6  
Isn't a slow death a gradual death? LOL. If you engage the clutch at a slower (almost idle) speed then place throttle where you usually mow (usually full) the internal workings (magnets) of the clutch will catch up and wear less then if you give it full throttle then engage the clutch. Make sense?
We have two JD M665's, one has 2200 + hours and the other has closer to 2000 hours on it, replaced an engine on the higher hour one (long story) and the lower hour one is getting close to a rebuild. I have replaced front tired 3x, rears 2x, belts 2x, PTO clutches numerous (due to operator abuse), and changed oil at every 50 hours and greased every other mowing, (that has been slidding recently due to life getting in the way).
600 hours wouldn't scare me at all if you have been maintaining (as you mentioned), we put roughly 250 hours on them per year and that's not HEAVY commercial useage.

Good Luck!!

deereguy said:
Isn't a slow death a gradual death? LOL. If you engage the clutch at a slower (almost idle) speed then place throttle where you usually mow (usually full) the internal workings (magnets) of the clutch will catch up and wear less then if you give it full throttle then engage the clutch. Make sense?
We have two JD M665's, one has 2200 + hours and the other has closer to 2000 hours on it, replaced an engine on the higher hour one (long story) and the lower hour one is getting close to a rebuild. I have replaced front tired 3x, rears 2x, belts 2x, PTO clutches numerous (due to operator abuse), and changed oil at every 50 hours and greased every other mowing, (that has been slidding recently due to life getting in the way).
600 hours wouldn't scare me at all if you have been maintaining (as you mentioned), we put roughly 250 hours on them per year and that's not HEAVY commercial useage.

Good Luck!!

Deereguy

:eek: As you might have guessed, I meant to say "sudden death" lol what can I say ... old age and my "thinker " is not what it use to be. I only mow my own 8-10 acres.I have a 72" deck. I can mow pretty fast but I rarely mow it all at once. but rather mow a little each day. I use to mow my neighbors fields ( 6-8 acres )( he wanted it to look like lawn ) but he finally broke down and bought an Xmark ZT . Now he's havin fun too LOL If my clutch lasts until the end of the mowing season, should I think about rebuilding it ? Is it worth the effort ? Think you said a new one was around $250 ? Need any special tools to rebuild? Thanks for all the info :)

Bob

I hate to admit it but I have been starting the deck at high engine RPM ....live and learn..

/ Toro Z 255E clutch problem #8  
Rebuilding for us was just a cost savings and a way to relieve a headache that employees caused. J T Thomas Distributing is where we got our last two clutches at, we opted for the Japanese brands that were less expensive than the Werner Models. After further thought, the rebuilt ones proabably didn't last as long as a new one would (employees thought I made money- if i could repair their costly mistakes on MY equipment).
We would take a belt sander and smooth down the magnet side of the clutch and lightly grind the collar of the clutch so it was closer, they wore so they were further apart- hence, your hissing sound. No special tools were needed to remove just a socket or wrench the right size of the bolt that attaches it to the engine (you may need a wrench or something to hold the flywheel on the other side of the engine as you loosen the bolt), disconnect the electric harness, and belt (of course).
I thought a new Werner was around $250, the ones we bought were in the $199 range as I recall, for the Japanese made.

deereguy said:
Rebuilding for us was just a cost savings and a way to relieve a headache that employees caused. J T Thomas Distributing is where we got our last two clutches at, we opted for the Japanese brands that were less expensive than the Werner Models. After further thought, the rebuilt ones proabably didn't last as long as a new one would (employees thought I made money- if i could repair their costly mistakes on MY equipment).
We would take a belt sander and smooth down the magnet side of the clutch and lightly grind the collar of the clutch so it was closer, they wore so they were further apart- hence, your hissing sound. No special tools were needed to remove just a socket or wrench the right size of the bolt that attaches it to the engine (you may need a wrench or something to hold the flywheel on the other side of the engine as you loosen the bolt), disconnect the electric harness, and belt (of course).
I thought a new Werner was around $250, the ones we bought were in the $199 range as I recall, for the Japanese made.

Thanks for the info Deereguy I'll keep it all in mind when my clutch gets worse or dies. For now it works good Most of the time. Maybe i can get thru the rest of the year ...

bob