Toro 266-H won't Charge

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
My Toro 266-H won't charge the battery. The battery will take and hold a charge from a plug in charger, but after mowing for a while, none of the electrical components will work (I.e. PTO clutch) and eventually the engine even dies. If do a quick charge on the battery, I can get the machine to fire up again and I can finish mowing.

I checked the voltage accross the battery terminals with the mower running and I'm only getting 11 volts.

How do these things charge? What should I check or replace?

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge #2  
I have never had to fix a charging system on any of mine but there is a stator and a charging regulator and I figure either could be bad but would probably try the regulator first.

Get your eng and model #, there is parts places like this one with diagrams to help. Parts and Diagrams for Kohler Engines SV530S-SV530-0003

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge
I've got all the books and manuals that I downloaded from the Toro website. I'm just lazy and was hoping that someone here would have a quick and simple response.

It looks like I'm pouring through manuals, though.

I looked in the Toro demystification guide (great resource, by the way) and found the voltage regulator. I don't have an ammeter that will do 20 amps to test the output from the regulator, but I did find that there's plenty of voltage on the AC side of the regulator and no voltage from the B terminal to ground.

As long as testing the B terminal (the one in the middle) to ground is a good test for if the regulator is putting out voltage is a good test, I've got a bad regulator.

Anyone have any good online sources for small engine parts?

Here's the link to that "Demystification Guide" for Electrical systems. It's a pretty big file (31mb), but there's a great glossary section that goes into some great detail about every electrical component on these mowers. It describes how each component works and how to test it. I would think it's pretty relevant to all mowers, not just Toro.

https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=13298

I just thought of something. If the regulator is connected to the battery, shouldn't I at least get the battery's voltage?

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge #7  
It should not unless that circuit is running through something else to change the values.

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge #8  
I just thought of something. If the regulator is connected to the battery, shouldn't I at least get the battery's voltage?

If it is a direct line to the battery, you should have battery voltage. A short circuit could blow the fuse and regulator.

You probably have a bad regulator.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I still haven't had time to chase the wire and see if it's good or not.

I got to thinking of something else too... the description said that the regulator needed to see battery voltage in order to work. The only way it could see the voltage is through this wire.

Can you tell I'm really trying to make this into a $0.12 wire problem instead of a $50 regulator problem :)

/ Toro 266-H won't Charge #10  
Have you checked the fuse yet. If it is a permanent magnet alternator, it does not need an exciting voltage from the battery. If the alternator is good and the engine is running, there should be voltage. If it has an external regulator, there will be 3 or 4 wires from the alternator to the regulator. If the regulator is built in, the voltage is rectified and regulated and sent out to the battery through a fuse.