Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ??

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #1  

njrqs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L1-20 DT
Howdy all

Looking (only looking at this stage) to replace my rideon mower. I like our Aussie "Cox" mowers but they aren't as wider cut as yours. The Dealer recommends Toro Wheelhorse as a strong unit also. The rest of the imports are lawn mowers not grass mowers he reckons.

(Something to do with americans having good lawns he reckons)

I have little lawn and lots of grass

How do these Toro units stack up against your other models (We seem to get MTD, Yardman and that's all from the US)

Cheers

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #2  
Neil,

<font color=blue>How do these Toro units stack up against your other models (We seem to get MTD, Yardman and that's all from the US</font color=blue>

Toros here have a good reputation across the great blue divide...on par with Hondas and the commercial John Deere units but a bit below the higher end Gravelys. They are a bit pricey when compared with MTD and Yardman but that's to be expected as the latter units, in my opinion, are a bit inferior in design and reliability. They are low end units for folks that are on a tight budget and need an inexpensive mower. I would go with the Toro if you're choosing among the three. It will likely last you many years longer than the others you mention.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ??
Thanks Bob

Yes the MTD and Yardman are priced well under the Toro here, but are like what I have now, a lawn tractor.

I need a "lots of rocks and bumps and some grass"
tractor !!!!

Of course I have my tractor tractor and slasher but that's for the really rocky really bumpy bits !!

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #4  
Neil,

<font color=blue>I need a "lots of rocks and bumps and some grass" tractor !!!!</font color=blue>

I would seriously consider the Toro or even Honda machines if these are available in your neck of the woods. I've looked these over in our supply houses here in the States and they're built quite well. My employer uses the Toro units as the grounds maintenance machines at my workplace. These guys really beat up these Toros, runnning over bottles, cans, a stone here and there...and they keep on ticking. The same machines come back week after week and do the same thing all over again. They even go up for special sale from time to time in places like our Home Depots....and then they become even more reasonable in price. If I was in the market, I would look closely at the Toro units. Hope some of this helps.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for th advice. Yes I see a few local councils here use toro units too. Even the good old Victa mower here is made in the US, so there aren't too many Aussie units to choose from.

The Aussie unit looks to be built like a tank and is as dear as the toro.

I'll have to wait and see if mine hold out. Providing it rains that is. No rain = no mowing so for the time being my old unit will have to do.

Hey, what is a "Home Depot". Is that a hardware store ??

Cheers

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #6  
Neil:

A " Home Depot " is a store to which you never ever take " She who must be obeyed " as they have many aisles of interior/ exterior house products. But if you go by yourself its sorta a Boys toy store and will retain your wallet as well as attempt to max out any plastic card in your wallet.

You can check it out on the web.

Egon

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #7  
Neil,
I have a Toro Wheelhorse Classic 314-H. It is based on a decades old design and is built like a tank. Not as sleek or as "pretty" as some of the competitors but it is a work horse. The only draw back for this particular garden tractor is the relatively large turning radius.Of course they have more modern models as well.

Here in the US people think of boxstore lawnmowers and premium tractors. Box store mowers are available at large retailers like Sears, Wal-mart or Home Depot. Premium tractors are sold mostly at dealers of a specific manufacturer like Deere, Cub Cadet (though now in boxstores as well), Toro, Simplicity, Kubota and others.

Home Depot is a hardware store of the giant variety. They are building a new one nearby that will be 80,000 square feet. That is almost 2 acres of store. Wow. I tend to prefer the small hardware store. This New HD is across the street from a family run 40 year old hardware business. Still can't figure out why the planning committee allowed that.

Pic is of my wife on the Toro.

Attachments

• 16-143538-MLTRACTOR.JPG
    16-143538-MLTRACTOR.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 432
   / Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #8  
Hi Neil,

I have a Wheelhorse WorkHorse GT1600 w/42" rear discharge deck purchased in 1984 and it has been a great garden tractor. Other than normal maintenance (oil, grease and belts), it's had the PTO clutch replaced once, battery replaced once, the PTO lever rewelded and the front left tie rod replaced twice (someone couldn't avoid running into a tree with the wheel /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif). That's it. It has a twin cylinder Briggs and Stratton I/C engine which runs great. Still has the original plugs in it! WorkHorse was the no frills version of the WorkHorse and while very plain it has served us well, primarily cutting grass, but also the occasional need to move something with the optional front blade, towing a cart and pulling the drag harrow around the riding ring. Since we purchased the tractor, Toro bought out WheelHorse but from the other comments, it sounds as if the quality is still there.

Attachments

• 16-143624-wheelhorse.jpg
    16-143624-wheelhorse.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 362
Egon

Aha now I know what you mean. We have one called "Bunnings" here. It is HUGE. Yes nice to go and look at all the toys, but my wife tends to make me buy paint and all those non-exciting job type products !!!

Mike & Phil

Great to get some background on the Toros. Sounds like they are one tough machine.

Puts mine into perspective. It is 8 y.o. and a cheap brand but is almost stuffed. Needs engine and deck is very badly damaged.

Cheers

/ Toro Wheelhorse Recommendations ?? #10  
<font color=blue>"...what is a "Home Depot". Is that a hardware store ??"</font color=blue>

It's the largest home improvement/hardware chain store in America and I believe they are expanding now into other countries. Just about anything you would want in terms of building materials...you can find at The Home Depot. Another close competitor we have here in the States is Lowe's....also large stores, but not as many....they are younger company but expanding rapidly and giving Home Depot a run for the money.

Bob