Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I was driving home from Indy the other day and passed one of these on the back of a trailer. It is a mini tracked loader made by Bobcat. Pretty cool!
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bobcat.com/products/mtl/index.html> Click here to see the Bobcat MTL webpage </A>

Also heard some references to the Toro Dingo, here on TBN so I looked it up. It is a mini loader. There are wheeled and tracked models. Also pretty cool.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.toro.com/professional/sws/loader/index.html> Click here to see the Toro Dingo wepage </A>

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #2  
Also check out the Skidster 200 at www.gravely.com and the Kanga at www.kanga-loader.com, both Dingo clones. Other interesting ones are the stuff at www.magnatrac.com. Finally, Gehl makes some mini-loaders that are articulated, www.gehl.com. Out of all of these (even comparing small traditional tractors), it seems like the Dingo clones and the Power-trac's are the most versatile. The Power-tracs get my vote because they are articulated and don't tear up the turf like the Dingo clones do.

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #4  
I think the neat thing about all these is the range of attachments. They're about the right size for the small PTs so if you can't find what you need in Tazewell, maybe one of the mini-skid steer attachments might work (with the quick attach plate, of course). I especially like the Toro 4-in-1 bucket. It looks to be about the same size as the 45" bucket for the PT-42x. I wonder how much it costs/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif.

Scott

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #5  
I was on my way home for lunch the other day when I saw one of those Toro Dingo's working in a yard. Two guys from a fence contractor were drilling holes for the posts for a chain link fence. I stopped for a couple of minutes to watch. They had an auger attached to the bucket, and they drilled each hole in under a minute. They were able to apply down pressure with the bucket, and it didn't even look like the machine was working! I think they drilled 10 - 12 holes in under a 1/2 hour.

Wish I would've had a camera! /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #6  
I'm building a patio between the deck and workshop on the back of my house (about 400 sf, 14' x 30' or so). It's on unlevel ground, so I'm using large retaining wall blocks to create a level structure, which will be backfilled then pavers put on top.

I had finally decided to just go rent a Toro Dingo to do this project, but they rent (with any reasonable attachments) for about $200/day or so, and I was figuring I'd end up needing it for at least 3 days (probably more rentals in the future as I pave more walkways, etc.) I figured by the time I was done renting a Dingo, I'd have spent at least $1K on rentals. Considering I got the used PT1418 for $3200, it certainly seems like a no-brainer to buy it, even considering that I've already done some patching up (which I wouldn't have had to do with a rental), and that there's a little more patching up to go. If/when I finish all these projects at home and decide to sell it, then I shouldn't have any problems getting my purchase price + repair costs back out of it (which pretty much amounts to a 1-2 year "free" rental). But then, considering how much work I've done with it so far, I'm not sure I really want to sell it when I'm "done". Maybe I just need to never be "done"...? He he he...

Regards,
Dave

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo
Did you read Charlies post on fence posts per hour? Amazing!

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #8  
Yup, pretty cool. I don't see why the PT with a power-auger couldn't do about the same, though. The only advantage the Dingo has is 1) more manueverable since it's a skid-steer, and 2) 3000 PSI hydraulic pressure compared to PT's 2500 PSI. Like I mentioned before, I might have considered buying a Dingo if I had found one locally at a good price. However, like the PT's, you don't see many for sale. The few that I did see for sale were on Ebay, and were going for $8-9K. Heck, I still might buy one if I run across one at a REALLY good price. I'd have to convince the wife, though...<g>.

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #9  
<font color=blue>"Did you read Charlies post on fence posts per hour?"</font color=blue>

Yeah, I did. That's one of the things that got me thinking about PT's. I've operated PHD's off the back of a tractor a few times, and although it's a whole lot better than the manual method, it was literally a pain in the back!

It sure would be nice to sit there facing forward watching it all happening. And the added benefit is the down pressure you can apply that you can't do with the standard 3 pt PHD's, without adding a down pressure option for extra $$!

<font color=blue>"...I'm not sure I really want to sell it when I'm "done". Maybe I just need to never be "done"...? He he he..."</font color=blue>

Dave,

I think I'd keep that little jewel if I were you. Like you said, you'll probably find even more uses for it, and it sure would be nice to have it's mobility in tight areas! It would be a nice compliment to a compact tractor./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Tracked Bobcat MT50 and Toro Dingo #10  
You guys might also want to check out omnitrac.com. They make rubber track conversions for skidstters and other tractors. They also happen to be located here in my home town. Maybe I should ask if they could put tracks on my PT425; that would give them a challenge/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.