Toro verses honda snowblower

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #1  

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
I have a toro model powerlite ccr single stage snowblower (2 years old)IMHO in recent years has been made very cheap.I recently bought a honda model HS250as that kicks butt removing snow and is a quality made product.If you are looking for a new single stage snowblower I would pick the honda over the toro models hands down.coobie

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #2  
Another vote for the Honda. I have a 928. Its a 2 Stage, but its been pretty much bulletproof for the 3 or so years ive had it. Expensive but worth it.

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #4  
I have 8-10 Honda single stage in boxes. Both recoil start and electric start.
These are the HS520A recoil and HS520AS electric start models. Single stage with 4 cycle engines. Hasn't snowed in Jersey 2 years clearance priced!!!!

Brian
848-992-6150

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #5  
It's not possible to out engineer a Honda tool.

If you really want to be blown away, try one of the half track models they made over twenty years ago.

The others who borrowed the track design have no clue.

Brian, if you have any of the Honda half track models laying around, I'm interested.
How much would the ones offered in box shipped total to Mpls 55421?
Pm or sms 763 639 2113

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #6  
MTD has taken over the manufacture of many of Toro's products, especially the lower priced ones. That is why you see the difference. I like Honda products, other than their very high price tags and parts obsolescence policy. I compared Honda to Ariens when looking at snow blowers, and in the medium size two stage 6-7 HP field the Honda model that compared to the Ariens 624 listed at almost three times the price of the Ariens and did not include electric start. I could see the advantages to hydrstatic drive on a larger commercial use machine, but that and a Honda engine could not excite me enough to spend $1900 for a 7 HP snow blower. You say you get what you pay for? I see many Ariens and Toros that are 20+ years old. If a Honda could last 3 times as long or 60 years what good would it do if they only have parts support for 15 years? I don't care what it is, it is probably going to start needing parts after 15 years and after that point Honda is saying their equipment is essentially obsolete and specific parts might not be supported for a given model. So if you blow that fancy complex hydrostat up after 15 years, you might not get any parts to repair it. I'm pretty sure I would still be able to find the rubber drive wheel for the Ariens and most of the parts for a Tecumseh engine even though Tecumseh bellied up.

Honda lawn and garden tractors were excellent machines many moons ahead of their time, unfortunately they ended up pricing themselves out of that market.

-Fordlords-

/ Toro verses honda snowblower
MTD has taken over the manufacture of many of Toro's products, especially the lower priced ones. That is why you see the difference. I like Honda products, other than their very high price tags and parts obsolescence policy. I compared Honda to Ariens when looking at snow blowers, and in the medium size two stage 6-7 HP field the Honda model that compared to the Ariens 624 listed at almost three times the price of the Ariens and did not include electric start. I could see the advantages to hydrstatic drive on a larger commercial use machine, but that and a Honda engine could not excite me enough to spend $1900 for a 7 HP snow blower. You say you get what you pay for? I see many Ariens and Toros that are 20+ years old. If a Honda could last 3 times as long or 60 years what good would it do if they only have parts support for 15 years? I don't care what it is, it is probably going to start needing parts after 15 years and after that point Honda is saying their equipment is essentially obsolete and specific parts might not be supported for a given model. So if you blow that fancy complex hydrostat up after 15 years, you might not get any parts to repair it. I'm pretty sure I would still be able to find the rubber drive wheel for the Ariens and most of the parts for a Tecumseh engine even though Tecumseh bellied up.

Honda lawn and garden tractors were excellent machines many moons ahead of their time, unfortunately they ended up pricing themselves out of that market.

-Fordlords-
My father inlaw has a honda push mower that is 23 plus years old and still running strong,he has no problems getting parts form our local honda dealer.I agree with you on any honda product is very expensive.

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #8  
Fordlords I have to disagree a little with some of your post. Selling equipment for over 20 years there are major diffrences between say Ariens, Snapper and some of the others. The Honda 7hp you refrence is more expensive no doubt and Honda did make equipment but they did not price themselves out of the market, they didn't cheapen it up to remain competitive. The Honda tractor hayday was before Lowes and Home Depots of the world became major players and manufactures built to a price point. Honda and Kubota engineer a piece of equipment build it to last and then price it. The mass merchant stuff is we buy 40,000 to sell at 799.00 with a ?? percent margin build it to fit that price point. No doubt you can find the paddles or rubber disc down the road. But that transmisson will probally last 20 plus years when most folks are on there 3rd SB. Todays stuff is full of plastic gears that can only last so long. 2nd Honda and Kubota stand behind the products and are willing to correct defects. 3rd Honda engines are far superior to any Briggs or tecumseh. Check any rental yard see what engines are on stump grinders aerators thatchers, plate tampers cement mixers, power washers....

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #9  
I looked on a consumer site at ratrings when comparing snow blowers before I bought mine. The Ariens 624 got 5 of 5 stars. As I have a Honda GX series engine in my Cub Cadet, I can compare them fairly well to other makes. They are a top end engine, across the board comparable to a Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command, but not really any better.

I agree the GX engines Honda uses on their snow blowers are marginally better than Briggs Inteks and Tecumseh Snow King OS series. But, here is the kicker. When I look at loose engines being sold through suppliers, a horizontal shaft Honda GX engine only costs a few bucks more than a Tec Snow King or an Intek. That brings up the question why does the 7 HP Honda snow blower cost 3 times more than an Ariens 624? If it's not the engine, does that hydrostatic drive cost $1100? Looking at any reports and ratings, it doesn't out perform Ariens Disc-O-Matic drive, in fact Honda's biggest hype about it is the ease of use. $1100 is sure a lot to pay for a hydrostatic drive, considering the Ariens 6 speed jobs are simple to operate too and can plow through the heaviest stuff testers put in front of them. They must have hit a breaking point in price somewhere with no electric starter. (My wife will NOT use a pull starter, period.)

I recall when Honda entered the LGT market. Their LT's were water cooled and very expensive and they sold poorly. Then they switched them to air cooled engines and they were still expensive and sold poorly. Their garden tractors were built like SCUT's, very strong and again very expensive and they sold poorly. It reminded me of the episode of The Simpsons where Homer met his brother who owned a car company and he designed his newest car, "The Homer." It had everything to offer, only no one could afford it. Honda is smart and goes where they can compete just like everyone else. Becuase they couldn't sell LGT's, they started selling engines to OEM's.

I can sum it up like this. If you want what probably is the best money can buy than get a Honda. But don't be under a false sense of security that it will last forever, be supported forever, or annihilate the performance of anything else. There is competition that is extremely close in every aspect at considerably lower prices.

-Fordlords-

/ Toro verses honda snowblower #10  
MTD has taken over the manufacture of many of Toro's products, especially the lower priced ones. That is why you see the difference.
-Fordlords-

Do you have a link, or any other information to back up this claim? Especially as it applies to snowblowers? I've not heard it, and I am skeptical.