Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H)

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #1  

jase

Hi All,

I just recently bought a 1996 Toro Wheel Horse 416H hydro drive tractor with only about 320 hours. It's a great machine -- extremely solid, starts instantly. I have a mowing deck, single-stage snowblower, and mid-mount grading blade with it. Thus far all I've really done with it is pull a garden cart around, but blowing snow in the winter is when it's really going to shine (I hope). I'm picking up a plow to go with it today.

I have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a Wheel Horse 520H in similar condition, for only $450. I know that's a steal for this tractor, and I can probably sell my 416H for a lot more than that.

Thoughts? What's the difference between the tractors other than the engine? I know the 520 has a 2 cylinder Onan engine that is well-liked, but apparently difficult/expensive to repair if needed.

Thanks much, Jase

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #2  
Hi All,

I just recently bought a 1996 Toro Wheel Horse 416H hydro drive tractor with only about 320 hours. It's a great machine -- extremely solid, starts instantly. I have a mowing deck, single-stage snowblower, and mid-mount grading blade with it. Thus far all I've really done with it is pull a garden cart around, but blowing snow in the winter is when it's really going to shine (I hope). I'm picking up a plow to go with it today.

I have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a Wheel Horse 520H in similar condition, for only $450. I know that's a steal for this tractor, and I can probably sell my 416H for a lot more than that.

Thoughts? What's the difference between the tractors other than the engine? I know the 520 has a 2 cylinder Onan engine that is well-liked, but apparently difficult/expensive to repair if needed.

Thanks much, Jase
Why I wouldn't want anything with an Onan engine.

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H)
Thanks, LBrown59. Aren't Onan engines supposed to be pretty reliable, though? My understanding is that they're good engines, but just tough to get parts for since they're not made anymore?

The Wheel Horse 416H I already have may be an Onan. Can anyone tell me how to tell if it's an Onan or a Kohler? It just says "Toro Power Plus 16, Pressure Lubrication" on it. It is a 2-cylinder. (update: I think just the fact that it's a twin-cylinder means it's an Onan -- Kohler would be single-cylinder. Or am I wrong?)

Last edited:
   / Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H)
Thanks amigauser for the link. Much appreciated. :)

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #6  
Look for the engine model and serial number somewhere on the engine. My 520 has the Onan P220G (P = performer) so your 418 should be a P218G I think. On my unit the engine model and serial number, which includes the P220G is on top of the fly wheel housing.

The fact you say it starts immediately leads me to believe it's an Onan also since my 520H starts just like that unless it's very cold out, and even then it starts pretty quick with some choke. This time of year I barely turn the key with some choke and it roars to life. It's the best gas engine I've owned. With good care, it should go well past 1,000 hours.

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #7  
Nothing wrong with Onan engines, I personaly find them easier to work on compared to the split crank case Kohler KT and Mag series. Biggest issue is the owner must keep up on proper maintance. The valve lifters need adjusted every 200 hours and you need to decarbon the heads and pistons at that time. The engine block needs to be kept clean, espicaly on the flywheel side of the block. All the blown or burnt up twins I see come into the shop where I work are just filthy, are not getting proper oil changes or valve adjustments. On the flip side, I have seen both P and B series Onans with over 3000 hours on them with no major engine work and still running strong. Onans are the prefered engine in RV gen sets. Yes parts are getting expensive, but lately even Kohler parts are getting more expensive if you want genuine OEM parts. If Stens would pick up more of the Onan parts line, that would help things. Dont be affraid of an Onan engine, as long as it runs well, doesnt make any funny noises your in good shape. When it starts to smoke on throttle up when hot ect, start picking up parts and go thru the engine during the fall to winter down time. Cheers Mike T

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #8  
If you can get a 520 for $450 jump on it. If you don't want it let me know where it is and how to get hold of the owner.

Onan engines are awsome and will go over 2000 hrs. if maintained.

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #9  
If you can get a 520 for $450 jump on it. If you don't want it let me know where it is and how to get hold of the owner.

Onan engines are awsome and will go over 2000 hrs. if maintained.

I have 1 about 75 miles east of you, 600 bucks

/ Toro Wheel Horse 520H vs. 416H (currently own the 416H) #10  
Hi Jase,

I know this is likely a hopeful reach, but do you still have the 416h available for purchase?

Please let me know,

Thanks and best regards,

Bob