Old Toro Reelmaster Project

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project #1  

Robert128

Tractor
Caterpiller 455
I bought an old Toro Reelmaster and got it running. 38 HP Puegot Diesel, 5 cutting reels. I want to use it to cut around the farm, But as I suspected, The reels don't cut the higher grass. I want to build a cutting deck to replace the reels in front. I would like to power the deck (or decks) with the existing hydraulic lines. -Has anyone ever tried this and can you give me some tips up front. I read that blade Rpm are around 3600. Is this about right. Where do you find Hyd. Motors for Cutting Decks. - Can you run the motor directly to the Mandrel or better with a pully setup
Thanks

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project #2  
You could buy a brush hog but they run at 540 RPM. You can get the hydraulic pto on an advertiser on this site. I would do some research on it.

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1240745.jpg
    P1240745.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2,043
   / Old Toro Reelmaster Project #4  
If you look, many of the manufactures make machines like this now with mult. rotary or even flail heads on them with hyd. drive. Think you'll find it takes lot more HP to run a rotary than a reel but that doesnt mean you can't have a narrower width of cut than you have now.You need to know the rpms of the blade not what the gear box going to the blade takes. I don't know but would be curious to find out. Sounds like a fun project.

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project #5  
why not a old rear finish mower and direct drive the spindals instead of the gearbox/surptine belt.

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project #6  
I bought an old Toro Reelmaster and got it running. 38 HP Puegot Diesel, 5 cutting reels. I want to use it to cut around the farm, But as I suspected, The reels don't cut the higher grass. I want to build a cutting deck to replace the reels in front. I would like to power the deck (or decks) with the existing hydraulic lines. -Has anyone ever tried this and can you give me some tips up front. I read that blade Rpm are around 3600. Is this about right. Where do you find Hyd. Motors for Cutting Decks. - Can you run the motor directly to the Mandrel or better with a pully setup
Thanks

The pump/pumps on the machine apparently has the volume to run those motors. Is that a single pump, or a series of three or four pumps. Those motors might be high speed, and low torque. Like this one below.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=3516012517214269&item=9-7073-100&catname=hydraulic

The pump would have to supply the same volume to all three hyd motors in a three motor deck. So if each motor needs, 8 GPM, then the pump would be rather large. What is the engine HP , from that, you can figure the max pump displacement. Never mind, I see the HP above at 38 HP.

Just an example.

This small high speed motor above will develop about 10 HP , and if turning a 32 in blade, it should work quite well. So if three hyd motors develop 30 HP, then that means that the pump has to develop more HP, maybe around 35 HP. The engine to pump loss is about 95 %, so the engine to power this setup, should be about 40 HP, allowing some HP for ground travel.

If you had only one hyd motor, then you would use the motor/pully belt setup. Since you have three motors, I would direct couple them using standard couplers.

There should be a relief valve across the motor to help with shock loads.

The motors appear to have a motor case drain line, and you don't wantany back pressure on it.

The drains usually go to sump/reservoir.

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project #7  
I had a shot at getting a reemaster 5300 at one point and had thought about trying to find a way to run a 72" deck off of it. At that time, it was not a feasable project. If you still have the reels, sell them quick, you can get some nice $$ for them and you will need the money. One thing I thought of after the option to get it, passed, was to take 5 smaller mower decks and run them individually, say 5 38" or 42" decks, depending on the spacing required between. The hydraulics on that machine should be able to power a setup like that. Wish I would have thought of that when I had the shot. Shortly after I was given a reelmaster 216, and used that to mow the lawn. It can be done with a reel, if you keep it sharp and keep it cut. The front anti scalp rollers had to come off too. In the end it got me by for a while, didn't have that golf course look but I live in the middle of nowhere and the deer don't care.

/ Old Toro Reelmaster Project
Thanks Guys for all the great Info. This site is awesome. Here is my rough sketch of the cutting decks
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=153316&stc=1&d=1264610322

I am planning for 3 30" cutting decks. There are 4 pumps on the Motor. The two that are now being used for the Reels appear to put out 7 GPM each for a total of 14 GPM @ 3000 psi. The larger pump is used for the wheel motors (26.3 GPM)
There is also a pump for the lift (4 gpm) - I am hoping that the 14 gpm will going to 3 motors will give me the torque and speed I need for 30" blades. If not maybe there is excess available capacity in the Wheel motor pump - Not sure how that works...
and the lift pump is not used during cutting so there maybe is an extra 4 gpm.
The question I am dealing with now is the Needed blade tip speed for a good cut - I read somewhere it is around 16,000 fpm - Is this about right.
Also - I am going with 3 indivual, unconnected round cutting decks. The mounts on the machine are already set up and pivot in all directions. - Also - All hydraulics are controlled by selenoid valves and there is a circuit board that, when you push the joystick forward, it drops the deck and starts the blades in one action - Reverse the other way.

Attachments

• Cutting Diagram.jpg
    Cutting Diagram.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 540
   / Old Toro Reelmaster Project #10  
You might want to see if you can score several old 30" Gravely commercial decks. Darn heavy duty.