Kohler carb adjustments

/ Kohler carb adjustments #1  

pat32rf

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4300
My little red horse has a Kohler engine that normally runs great but over the past few years I have had to use a bit of choke to keep it running sometimes.
The carb has two adjustment screws (plus the idle adjustment) but I don't know which is the hi speed and which is the low.....
One is close to the engine, in the "bore" portion of the carb, and the other is out over the float bowl.
Right now (first run of season) it starts and idles (no choke when warm)but I must play with the choke to drive anywhere......

/ Kohler carb adjustments #2  
You need the carb cleaned. Messing with adjustments won't help , it may even make things worse.

/ Kohler carb adjustments #3  
Clean carb, buy a rebuild kit and rebuild. Check fuel filter in tank and if you still need more information send me the model number and I can get the info from the repair manuals I have on kholer.

/ Kohler carb adjustments #5  
that website can not find my model number. i have a 1975 john deer 212 with a kohler engine.

/ Kohler carb adjustments #6  
those two adjustments you see are jets. what you want to do is take them out and make sure the end comes to a point. some people tighten them two much and scratches them, if they are scratched take 400 grit sandpaper and sharpen them back to a point then when threading them in make sure to stop when it gets just snug dont tighten them too much or it will scratch them two much and cause your motor to run badly

/ Kohler carb adjustments #7  
A good cleaning and adjustment can often do wonders. Is there any play in the top of the throttle shaft? If there is, it'll need rebuilding with a throttle bushing installed. The Kohler service manuals have good instructions on how to do this.