PTO slips ..

/ PTO slips .. #1  

rlnjr57

Tractor
416-8
Need some advise. I bought a Wheel Horse 416-8 used. It runs good and the only problems I've having are related to the PTO right now. When I engage it (mower deck in this case) it will run strong for a few minutes and then 'slow down' and I'm assuming it's slipping.

I've adjusted it tighter / looser, etc but can't seem to find a spot where it won't slip. I've pulled the pulley off the PTO shaft and there is a minor amount of dirt, but wonder if I should go further and clean / grease the bearings, etc... If I do need to re-grease the bearings, do I need to pull this pully unit apart ?? Doesn't look easy ??

thanks

/ PTO slips .. #2  
Does the engine slow down or just the mower deck ?

Your belt adjustments are tight enough ?

Which bearing are you looking at #15 or #16 ?
(See attached thumbnail)
#15 is a seal bearing, #16 is a needle bearing, probable a good idea to grease #16 if you've gone as far as you have, just be careful not to lose any needle bearings.

I think, (so chance are pretty good I am total wrong) the bearing you are looking at on the PTO shaft, would not effect the mower speed because I don't think the bearing is working when the PTO is engaged.
I think the bearing is only working when the PTO is disengaged.
When disengaged the PTO pulley would be stopped but the engine shaft would still be spinning, and the bearing would be working then.
When the PTO is engaged the PTO pulley and engine shaft are one, and are spinning the same, so the bearing of the PTO should not be working.

How does item #8 (clutch disk) look ?
Your slippage could be there and adjustments may not help.

Do you have manuals for your tractor and mower deck to help you troubleshoot ?
You can get them free at the following site.
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Bill

Attachments

• WH_PTO.JPG
    WH_PTO.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,318
Last edited:
   / PTO slips ..
Thanks ... a few updates:

1) I'm struggling with getting a manual. I can't locate a model # / serial # plate or anything. On the hood cover decal there is a 414-8 that someone wrote over and put 416-8 ??

2) I cleaned up the bearing / shaft / PTO clutch plate, etc.

3) The behavior has changed. Now when I engage the PTO it drags down the engine and will kill it if I leave it engaged. When the PTO is engaged it pulls the trottle cable fine, but still stalls out. I can hand pull the throttle and it revs up just fine without the PTO engaged ?? Just for clarification, this is with no belts attached ...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
   / PTO slips .. #4  
Thanks ... a few updates:

1) I'm struggling with getting a manual. I can't locate a model # / serial # plate or anything. On the hood cover decal there is a 414-8 that someone wrote over and put 416-8 ??

2) I cleaned up the bearing / shaft / PTO clutch plate, etc.

3) The behavior has changed. Now when I engage the PTO it drags down the engine and will kill it if I leave it engaged. When the PTO is engaged it pulls the trottle cable fine, but still stalls out. I can hand pull the throttle and it revs up just fine without the PTO engaged ?? Just for clarification, this is with no belts attached ...

Any thoughts?

There should be an ID tag on the tractor near the seat.

If no belts are attached and you can kill the engine by engaing the PTO, it seems the PTO would be the problem.

With the tractor not running and the PTO disengaged, with no belts attached, the PTO pulley should spin freely by hand.

If you try and engage the PTO and you are not seating on the tractor seat, you will kill the engine.
Tractor seat safety switch.

Attachments

• ID.JPG
    ID.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited: