Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings

/ Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings #1  

Ken Thomas

Tractor
Wheel Horse (Torro) SB-421 8 SPD Lawn Tractor
To anyone that can help me:

I have a Wheel Horse (Torro) yr.1982 8 speed garden tractor, that I am trying to replace the upper & lower spindle bearings on a 36" rear discharge (05-36MR01) mower deck that are making noise and feel rough when turned.
The spindles were removed from the deck and in the spindle the internal snap ring removed from the spindle housing. The only thing left in the spindle is the upper & lower bearings, upper grease seal, and a spacer located between the upper & lower bearings in the spindle bearing housing. The spacer cannot be removed unless one of the bearings is removed.
I tried to remove the lower bearing with a drift that cleared the upper bearing internal race pushing against the spacer putting pressure on the lower bearing inner race (a relief collar was on the spindle to catch the lower bearing when it came out of the spindle) by putting it in a large vise using the vise to put pressure on the drift. It did not budge and and I was affraid to exert too much pressure on the drift being affraid of cracking the spindle housing.
Once the lower bearing was removed, I was planning to reverse the procedure against the upper bearing using the drift against the spacer.
I assume the bearings are a press fit but should I use a hammer against the drift instead of in a vise because the hammer will produce more of a shock rather than a gradual force in a vise.
Once the bearings are removed, I assume a block of wood & hammer or a vise can be used to install the new bearings a grease seal.
Hopefully someone can solve my problem.

/ Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings #2  
I used a mallet and drift to gently tap the bearings our. Actually, the seal was the only tight fit on my deck. I don't think this application requires a tight fit of the bearings.

/ Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings #3  
old post... but I use a hammer and drift and agree the blunt shock works better than a gradual pressure squeeze. I keep going around the bearing, opposite sides so it doesn't get too skewed off kilter.

when re-installing, I use a large socket approximately the same OD as the bearings OUTER edge. So a 6205 bearing gets pressed in with a 36mm socket (I think that was socket size). I then tap it in light and EVEN. Usually you'll hear a distinct sound difference like a "ping" when bearing bottoms out. then just make sure it is flush/even on both sides you've been tapping.

/ Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings #4  
I have a 42 in. deck and want to remove the bearings in the spindles. What is the best way to remove the pulleys and the bearings?
I do not know what year the deck is, but it has pulleys with a key way. they are not double D pulleys. The spindle housing is made of aluminum.

/ Replacing Upper & Lower Rear Discharge Mower Spindle Bearings #5  
pulleys.... tough to say. I used a 2 or 3 jaw puller and it made a mess causing me to have to buy new pulleys. Maybe try lotsa good penetrating oil (whatever snake oil you believe in...they all claim to be the greatest thing ever until you run into these types of jobs...Moovit?? or PB Blaster??).

once pulley is off, I believe there are bolts to unfasten and then can you tap the spindle out. I'd use a block of wood so you don't damage spindle shaft. I think they come out the bottom, so you tap from the top. I also sprayed lube on underside and cleaned up old grass to make the pathway cleaner and easier.

So now spindle is out, the bearing isn't too bad to remove. I use a long punch with a large, flat surface and go around the OUTER edge of the bearing in several spots. Again, so penetrating oil might help. If bearing is already destroyed/seized job is all that much harder. If not, it should come out not too bad.

Some folks freeze the new bearing before install as that microscopic shrinkage helps get it in easier. I've always used a large socket with roughly the same O/D and tap the socket against the outer edge of bearing evenly, until it seats into place. I also lube again during install. That make sense?

You may want to hunt down a manual specific to your deck. Once the decks start to go, I question what's left of mower and maybe look at replacing it. I did bearings, then deck is full of rust holes needing welding/patching, mower needs repairs...is it all worth it? I dunno.