Toro 520H died

/ Toro 520H died #1  

veteranchuck

Tractor
Toro Wheelhorse 520H
Was blowing snow after our Minnesota snow storm yesterday when my 520H backfired a couple times. Uh Oh, I had about a hundred yards to blow before I could run it up to the shed, but I made it. It was running fine at the shed so I thought maybe some snow had temporarily shorted a plug, so I decided to keep on blowing. Wrong! I got about 50 yards and, Pow, it backfired again and died. It was dead, no instrument lights or nothing. Toward evening I got my neighbor to tow the tractor back to the shed. I know, you're not supposed to tow a 520H but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyhow, it's too cold for troubleshooting, about 0 degrees, the tractor has snow in the auger and all over it, and I,m tired from moving snow all day, so I just left it for now. But, as I'm accustomed to doing, I,ve been doing some mental troubleshooting. Sounds like a loose major wire connection, right? Could be the ground on the battery cable. My mind is working now. Maybe I should go out there and...........no, I think I'll go to bed.

/ Toro 520H died
Some 520H's have a problem with corrosion in the six wire connector that is located near the battery. I had this problem while under warranty and the dealer jumpered around the connector to fix the problem. A few years later I again had a problem with a corroded wire in this connector and, not having suitable stranded wire, I used solid copper wire to jumper around the connector. Over the years a resistance built up between the crimp-on connector and the solid wire and finally fried the crimp on connector. I got lucky. I was wondering why the yellow crimp-on was blackened and when I touched it to investigate the insulation broke apart.

/ Toro 520H died
Boy, is my ego taking a hit. I'm beginning to doubt my maintenance abilities. My 520H died again. This time after starting to clear the 3 inches of snow we got last night. When I turn the key on all the panel lights come on. But as soon as I turn the key to "start" the Amp meter bottoms out and no starter. Looks like a dead short. Probably that 6 wire connector again. Have to get in the right mood to start troubleshooting in the cold again. I really hate unwrapping that connector again. Last time I wrapped it so tight there is no way for nature to get into it. Instead of just entertaining you guys out there, can you come up with a suggestion of where else I might look for a dead short from the "start" key position

/ Toro 520H died #4  
Can't really help you with your short but I had a similar experience last fall. I use my 520H for mowing and leaf pick up and I was getting near done with leaves for this year when mine wouldn't start. I had just turned it off to empty my cyclone rake. Went to turn it back on and wouldn't turn over. Panel lights lit but no juice to the starter. Had to tow it about a 100 yards to my garage using the BX. When I eventually got to looking it over I saw the 30 amp starter fuse was melted. I was pretty sure the voltage regulator was over juicing the battery and some resistance had built up in the fuse holder over the years. Since I knew I needed to fix the fusebox in any case, I proceeded to rewire it - new holders, fuses and wires. When I got done, it started right up, so I said, "let me get the last 30 minutes of leaf pickup done, then I'll worry about the over-voltage issue". Well it lasted maybe 20 minutes more, then fried/melted another fuse. I was so #$@ mad, I just pushed it into the garage and left it for about a week. Finally decided to drop it at the dealers and they replaced the voltage regulator. Only drove it onto my trailer and off when I picked it up, but it does show proper voltage on the voltmeter. Really won't know until Spring if it's fully fixed. These 520 are a little prone to electircal glitches, but this was my first in almost 18 years of service.

/ Toro 520H died
Went through the voltage regulator problem a few years ago. Was wondering why my batteries weren't lasting as long as they should. Finally figured the voltage regulator must be "cooking" them so I changed it and that solved the problem. I've often wondered if the "cooking" of the batteries is what causes the corrosion in the nine wire connectors that are so close to the battery.
Did get the the dead tractor repaired. My favorite mechanic changed out the coil and another electrical component (can't remember what it was called) and that solved the problem, to the tune of $500 plus. The mechanic also discovered another problem that is common with heavily used 520Hs. the frame was cracked where the front shaft for the foot plates goes thru the fame. That was easily strengthened by doing a better job of welding the shaft to the frame than the factory did.
Can anyone tell me where to get the small bearings/shims that the cowling (hood) pivots on to open. Didn't know they were there til I started parting out another 520H. The wear on those bearings/shims is unbelieveable for a part that just pivots.

/ Toro 520H died #6  
I am a second owner of a 520H mower.
The electrical issues sound all too familiar to me, minus the backfire noise.
I went through a couple fuses also, and my fuse holder is melted severely.

Last year, I did work on the electrical wiring, and believe I changed one of those parts to get it running.
I seemed to have misplaced my notes/receipts to confirm what was changed however.
I do recall that plug connector having some melted parts or bad connections on a few of the wires too.
I think I crimped those back together again and it did run properly for a while.

Can anyone explain how I can easily confirm this by looking at the engine for possible new parts?
Unfortunately, not having a garage to store it inside the unit is always outside and weathered.
Looking for shiny new parts/labels probably won't be an option for me.

This year when I started using the mower the headlights didn't work.
I'm guessing that is due to some problem yet with the voltage regulator or coil.
I'm certain I changed out one of them, but not sure which.

I'm also curious how much was the fuse holder?
I previously considered replacing the wiring harness, but I think I priced out a new harness at over $200??
I would like to at least replace the fuse holder if that's not to big a job.

Thanks in advance

/ Toro 520H died #7  
Kslusser said:
I am a second owner of a 520H mower.
The electrical issues sound all too familiar to me, minus the backfire noise.
I went through a couple fuses also, and my fuse holder is melted severely.

Last year, I did work on the electrical wiring, and believe I changed one of those parts to get it running.
I seemed to have misplaced my notes/receipts to confirm what was changed however.
I do recall that plug connector having some melted parts or bad connections on a few of the wires too.
I think I crimped those back together again and it did run properly for a while.

Can anyone explain how I can easily confirm this by looking at the engine for possible new parts?
Unfortunately, not having a garage to store it inside the unit is always outside and weathered.
Looking for shiny new parts/labels probably won't be an option for me.

This year when I started using the mower the headlights didn't work.
I'm guessing that is due to some problem yet with the voltage regulator or coil.
I'm certain I changed out one of them, but not sure which.

I'm also curious how much was the fuse holder?
I previously considered replacing the wiring harness, but I think I priced out a new harness at over $200??
I would like to at least replace the fuse holder if that's not to big a job.

Thanks in advance

A bit late replying, and can only help on some of your issues. As for the lights not working, I'd bet on a bad ground connection. Try tracing the ground wire and cleaning up the ground connection. After that I'd check the light switch. It's a bit tough to get to but once removed check for continuity. Replaced mine with a simple but similar switch from McMaster Carr.

I bought my new fuse holder on line and will have to check where, but I think I've seen them since at Pep Boys. Not much money if I recall.

/ Toro 520H died #9  
I get my parts from Ron at Contact Us - RCPW Inc. he has helped me out in the past, even sent a PDF micro phish to me for part identification. Quick turn around on parts and fair prices.
I have an 1989-518-H that still blows snow, mows although it's retired pretty much, and mulches leaveson 2+ acres.

/ Toro 520H died #10  
Through 30+ years of fooling around with a Wheelhorse C-125, I have come to the following conclusion: Whenever there is an unexplained problem of any kind whatsoever that might possibly, remotely be electrical, always test the seat safety switch first. They can fail in a way that makes the machine act very strange, intermittent or constant.. I doubt this is your problem but it's worth checking out anyway.