520-H problems

/ 520-H problems #1  

ringo6921

Tractor
Toro Wheel Horse 520-H
I inherited a 1993 Toro Wheel Horse 520-H with a 60-inch deck when I bought my house 5 years ago. This thing is a monster, but has been running well until recently. I turned the key and absolutely nothing. Thought it was the battery so I jump-started it and off I went. It worked for a couple of weekends, then, after using it and turning it off, I tried to restart it. It cranked, didn't quite catch. Then it died again completely, no solenoid click, no indicator lights, nothing. Trying to save time and a repair bill I replaced the ignition switch, and still nothing.

I assume the problem is electrical, maybe a problem with a safety cutout or relay. My repair place can't pick it up for 3 weeks minimum. Anyone have an idea of what I could do to get it going again? I'm no mechanic, just handy and curious and up to my knees in weeds. Thanks.

/ 520-H problems #2  
I inherited a 1993 Toro Wheel Horse 520-H with a 60-inch deck when I bought my house 5 years ago. This thing is a monster, but has been running well until recently. I turned the key and absolutely nothing. Thought it was the battery so I jump-started it and off I went. It worked for a couple of weekends, then, after using it and turning it off, I tried to restart it. It cranked, didn't quite catch. Then it died again completely, no solenoid click, no indicator lights, nothing. Trying to save time and a repair bill I replaced the ignition switch, and still nothing.

I assume the problem is electrical, maybe a problem with a safety cutout or relay. My repair place can't pick it up for 3 weeks minimum. Anyone have an idea of what I could do to get it going again? I'm no mechanic, just handy and curious and up to my knees in weeds. Thanks.

Are you sure the battery is good? These can just die and leave you scratching your head. This would be the first thing I checked.

Can you safely access the starter relay? Are you getting battery voltage to one of the main terminals? If not check your battery connections.

Are there one or two small terminals on your coil? If two determine which is positive and which is ground. Check to make sure the ground is good.

Check to see if you are getting power to coil terminal when the key is turned to start. If no power then you will have to start checking safety switches one at a time.

Another option is again if you safely get a jumper wire from the battery terminal on the relay to coil terminal. This should made the relay energize and the starter should spin. If the relay doesn't klick you probably have a bad relay.

Use a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) and check for continuity either between the two small terminals or between the one small terminal and ground.

/ 520-H problems #3  
Did you figure your tractor out?Mine does that once in a while.I take the fuses out and spray brake cleaner in the slots and fuses and it will take off again.