Wheel Horse 318h

/ Wheel Horse 318h #1  

Mal AC

Bronze Member
Tractor
Allis Charlmers 616, Simplicity 3410, Cub Cadet 1605, Allis Chalmers 310
I was looking on craigslist when I saw a Wheel Horse 318h with a tiller, mower, and snow blade for $850. I never driven a Wheel Horse, so I dont know if they are good tractors. Is this a good deal? Any Information would be great.

Wheel horse 318h garden tractor

/ Wheel Horse 318h #2  
Wheelhorse tractors are excellent machines, among the best. That one appears to be in very good condition and is worth the price if it runs good. It looks to have an Onan engine which will last an awfully long time if maintained properly. Not sure of the original cost, but these were not inexpensive tractors. :thumbsup:
Jim

/ Wheel Horse 318h #3  
Double post..

Last edited:
   / Wheel Horse 318h #4  
The price is high, imo.

Those Onan engines are no longer made and parts were tough to find a decade ago, let alone now. If it had the Kohler it would be almost worth the price, but still high. Given all of that, you are better off buying that than any new mower that same size. They no longer make long-term mowers like those anymore.

I have the 3-18 Kohler and could pull by truck out of a ditch with it. They are tanks.

/ Wheel Horse 318h #5  
Well considering there is no such thing as a 318H Wheel Horse you might want to pass on that. There is a 518H. John Deere made the only 318 I've ever heard of.

/ Wheel Horse 318h #6  
Sure enough, mine is a 312-8. Picky picky! :p

/ Wheel Horse 318h #7  
Like the Cowboy, WheelHorse! I too have never heard of the 318H.

In the past, owned many WheelHorse garden tractors. I rebuilt one using all 316 SS, felt like Johnny Cash workin' on a Caddy.

Given the opportunity, I would go with a WheelHorse garden tractor. Best machines for the home user. :thumbsup:

/ Wheel Horse 318h
It was sold a week after I started this thread. I didnt have the money anyways. Im a Simplicity and Allis Chalmers lover. Onan parts arent that hard to find, at least not for my 16hp Onan CCKA engine in my Allis Chalmers 616.

/ Wheel Horse 318h #9  
Goin' against my love for WheelHorse garden tractors, recently purchased a Cub, 25 HP, 50" mowing deck. Why? Price was way low (low low).

Thought I would clean up a few rust scratches 'n paint original Cub yellow.

Dealer charged me $17.00 for a spray can of Cub yellow paint. Ouch! :mad:

I'm now thinkin', "Pink and many color bubbles, and, a clown head for the hood."

/ Wheel Horse 318h #10  
Goin' against my love for WheelHorse garden tractors, recently purchased a Cub, 25 HP, 50" mowing deck. Why? Price was way low (low low).

Thought I would clean up a few rust scratches 'n paint original Cub yellow.

Dealer charged me $17.00 for a spray can of Cub yellow paint. Ouch! :mad:

I'm now thinkin', "Pink and many color bubbles, and, a clown head for the hood."

::: Van Sickle Paint Company :::

At about any tractor store. $4.95 a spray can here and is high quality paint. Not the cheap stuff like wally world an etc.