alternator problem Toro 16-38hxl

/ alternator problem Toro 16-38hxl #1  

crt

Tractor
toro 16-38hxl
Hi, I inherited with our house a Toro 16-38hxl about five years ago. It's probably about 12 years old now.

I've always had starting problems and put it down to an old battery, so for the last couple of summers kept the battery on charge and then most often jump started.

I bought a new battery this year and at first it was fine, but then after a couple of weeks of non-use (raining) I came to use it this weekend and battery is flat, and won't take a charge while connected to mower. It jumps ok from a known good battery.

So, a few circuit checks and I discover that the main + lead is earthing/grounding when I put my multimeter across it (with ignition switched off). A bit of trial and error and I narrow the problem to Fuse 1 which has a red feed and a purple load, which my wiring diagram tells me is my alternator. If I test the purple it shows continuity to earth/ground.

Question is, would a short circuit on this wire cause battery drain? Assuming it is a failed alternator, would this be shown by such a short circuit? And if it is a failed alternator (a) where is it? and (b) how easy is it to replace?

Thank you.

/ alternator problem Toro 16-38hxl #2  
Hello,
I acctually have a couple of manuals that might help you out.
One for the Toro XL models and one for the vanguard 16hp electricals.
Email me if you would like me to send them to you :)

/ alternator problem Toro 16-38hxl #3  
Hello,
I have just sent 2 emails with the manuals. Let me know if I can help further. One of the manuals is large and was sent through a large file program. Let me know if you have problems getting it.

/ alternator problem Toro 16-38hxl #4  
I know this post is old but for anyone who comes across it again I will be posting a link to the manuals I have for TORO and Wheel Horse machines.