Purchase consideration

/ Purchase consideration #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
I'm looking at purchasing a ZTR. I starting looking at a used Kubota but it was not in great shape and the price was too high.

I noticed that in Consumer reports that the Toro Timecutters were rated well.

Our acreage is along side of a river that has some very steep banks so I think we need ROPS protection.

That moves us up to the Titan ZX models? Does that sound correct? Can you add a ROPS to the timecutters?

What are the differences in the motors? The 726cc Kawaski has different HP ratings?

We will be mulching - is the 18K blade tips speed enough? I notice the commercial ones run at 18.5K is that much on a difference?

The local dealer sells lots of the Timecutter MX with a 50" deck. Other than not having the ROPS the machine looks complete? I have not seen the quote on the Titan ZX model but I'm guessing it will be at least a $1,000 extra. I'm not sure if it will be worth the extra? I could maybe get a local welder to make a ROPS.

Are the 20" x 10" tires enough, I notice the posts on tires. Would you recommend going up to the 22" x 10" tires on the commercial ones? Does this affect the cutting height?

Thank you for helping

Garth

/ Purchase consideration #2  
I bought a toro titan zx4820 last year. It has been a nightmare, the tiny little tires don't mow hills worth crap. I forced toro to upgrade my tires and wheels after I proved that it wouldn't safely mow a 15 degree slope.

I sold it at a loss last weekend with only 35 hours. The Titans are not a combination worth looking at if you mow hills and can't go up and down them.

Buy a used commercial zero turn with rops and a low COG

good luck