wheel horse loader..

/ wheel horse loader.. #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
I am being asked by a friend to start this thread so here goes... today we loaded his old wheel horse on the trailer. when we go to our destination the tractor would only go about 2 feet forward and backward. It would stall out and make some nasty grinding noises. It ran great going on the trailer. Any ideas? it has the 18 hp onan engine...

/ wheel horse loader.. #2  
Would the engine make a grinding noise or the transmission ?

/ wheel horse loader.. #3  
I am being asked by a friend to start this thread so here goes... today we loaded his old wheel horse on the trailer. when we go to our destination the tractor would only go about 2 feet forward and backward. It would stall out and make some nasty grinding noises. It ran great going on the trailer. Any ideas? it has the 18 hp onan engine...

Sounds like transmission to me. I am not familiar with any Wheel Horse with an 18 HP Onan. Maybe a replacement engine? What model WH is it?

I am thinking it could be a D series. These has issues with parking prawl snapping if you forget to take the parking brake off and also come bolts shearing on the diff. and usually cracking the trans case.

/ wheel horse loader.. #4  
I had the same issue when I was trying to pull a small tree out. Lol. I ended up shearing the key way off in the hub! Did you check that. It might be grabbing a little but then letting loose. Better check it befor it hurts the slot for it in the axel

/ wheel horse loader.. #5  
I had the same issue when I was trying to pull a small tree out. Lol. I ended up shearing the key way off in the hub! Did you check that. It might be grabbing a little but then letting loose. Better check it befor it hurts the slot for it in the axel

That's a good thought.

Also if it is a D series it could be the hydro pump to engine coupler is stripped, although that makes a sound that is usually not described as "grinding".